The Military Order of the Ardennes

Tony V

Hello everyone

I found this at a flee market the other day. I did not know of anything like it so I thought I would post it for everyone to see and perhaps to enlighten others like my self who did not know about these. I understand the medal was presented to veterans of the "Battle of the Bulge" but that is all I know at this time.

Tony

post-4932-1340747684.jpg

post-4932-1340747692.jpg

I don't know anything about it, but here's your guy:

Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA) and Philadelphia Daily News (PA) - January 14, 2010

Deceased Name: ANTHONY J. GAMBALE SR.

PA United States

GAMBALE ANTHONY J., SR., age 90. On Jan. 11, 2010 of West Chester, formerly Maple Glen. Beloved husband of Bernardine (DeMarco) Gambale. Son of the late Frank and Angeline (Romano) Gambale. Father of Anthony J. Gambale, Jr. Grandfather of Matthew, Amber Gambale. Brother of Margarettie Zajko, many nieces, nephews. Pre-deceased by his first wife Angeline C. (Persia) Gambale and 14 siblings. Relatives and friends are invited to his Funeral Mass Fri., Jan. 15, 2010 at 10 A.M. at St. Alphonsus Church, 33 Conwell Dr., Maple Glen, PA. Viewing 9-10 A.M. at Church. Int. Whitemarsh Mem. Park. In lieu of flowers, donation in his name to Neighborhood Hospice, 795 E. Marshall St., West Chester, PA 19380. Arrg. by EMIL J.

I couldn't find any information about the Order as a result of a few internet searches. This one is a mystery to me. My guess, based upon its design, was that it was made in the last 25 years and it was probably meant to commemorate, and honor, the US soldiers who fought in the Ardennes during WWII.

Other than stating the obvious, I can't offer any more help with this one. Anyone else care to weigh in on this one?

Kevin

Kevin

Thank you and I hope we can find some more information on this one.

Ladies and gentlemen any ideas ?? Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

This is strange?? I find nothing either, perhaps it is just a private group of old soldiers who had a medal made up?

JS and Patriot

I do aggree it is strange yet interesting. Patriot posted the OMSA web page and there really is nothing on a posting there. The award does resemble a Belgium award, as in the size of the crown, but still searching.

Tony

Erwin

Thank you, I have sent off an E-mail to VEOB. I have visited their site and learned a few things, with more to learn :) I will let everyone know what they may say.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I believe these were privately issued commemoratives. They were advertised for sale quite frequently during the 80s in military history magazines.

Jim

Jim

You may be right. I got a return E-mail from the VBOB and was told it was not a Belgium issued medal that perhaps it was a private issue. I thought perhaps France or Belgium. :dunno: It seems to be from sometime in the 1980's. Looks like we might have to keep looking out for more information on this one.

Thank you

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Barker is right. I have seen these in auctions for almost 2 decades. I saw one @ 12 years ago complete with paperwork in an estate sale. The medal had been ordered and paid for by the vets' daughter as a present. The recipient had been a mechanic/driver and the medal was a private purchase piece with a fancy certificate. It is not official- just bling one could buy.