2nd EVAC HOSPITAL MEMORIAL UNVAILED IN ENGLAND

FAAA

2nd EVAC HOSPITAL MEMORIAL UNVAILED IN ENGLAND

On the weekend 15 members of the FAAA deployed to Diddington Village Cambridgeshire to represent the 2nd EVAC Hospital and the 8th USAAF.

Well what can I say but well done to all who mustered for this one.

The weather changed for the better on the Saturday and the the memorial unvailing service went well in bright summer sunshine and those that were on parade did an outstanding job, which impressed all watching, including the Active duty guys who were a little stunned to be honest when told only an hours practice had been undertaken for the unvailing. The Active Duty Color Guard were visually squared away and looked good and was for a change a 7 man Tri-service Color Guard of Army Navy and Air Force.

While away up on the memorial site Gavin and Ryan did a great job in getting the Field Hospital element up and the medical kit displays out, on our return to the Village hall and the display area all were impressed with the layout, so well done guys.

Just as we were to march on, we had a bit of a FUBAR, we lost a Guidon pole spear point when it sheared off, we had to make a decision as to still use it or not! Not wanting to be without the 2nd EVAC Guidon we went with it and hoped no one would notice, the show went on.

All did fantastic, but a special thank you to Amanda for stepping in at the last moment and without training to carry the 2nd EVAC Guidon. Well done also to the MP Detachment down on the main entrance and a great effort by the 8th US Army Air Force Honor Guard rifle squad who cracked it for the unveiling ceremony. From where I stood the timing was great and Peter who is new to the squad did especially well in getting the detail spot on. Matt and Pops did outstanding in the very important (in front of the Yanks) flag folding. Lesley did a grand job of carrying the National Colors, flanked by Kate and Jess. The wind was as strong if not stronger than in France and although it was a struggle Lesley kept the flag up and flying.

Again I feel we helped make the ceremony into a sharp event and I cannot thank the team enough for helping to put this together. It was amazing so soon after Normandy that this came together and we deployed with so many troops willing to see the job done. It was a great day out socially and I got to run the jeep out for the day with Pops and the “Beast” in Convoy, worth getting up at 5 just for that.

I am sure there will be a few pics to come out of this so when I have them in I will post up a fuller picture report.

Regards

Lee

20120623_6698.jpg

035.jpg