Fairbairn-Sykes Unkown Knife

GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas

I am impressed with the collective knowledge of the Forum and perhaps you can tell me anything about this knife. I found it at a flea market years ago and I have never seen one quite like it. It maybe trash as I did not see it in the Buelein book. It is overall 9 & 3/4 inches long. Do not hurt my feelings. Thanks....

post-1658-1340675747.jpg

GeneralLucas
I am impressed with the collective knowledge of the Forum and perhaps you can tell me anything about this knife. I found it at a flea market years ago and I have never seen one quite like it. It maybe trash as I did not see it in the Buelein book. It is overall 9 & 3/4 inches long. Do not hurt my feelings. Thanks....

post-1658-1340675768.jpg

Your knife is very similar to a knife pictured on page 49 of Buerlien's "Allied Military Fighting Knives...." As the book describes, the handle is made of various alloy, and is cast onto the blade. No pummel bolt is needed.

Perhaps you will add your variation to our F-S knife thread. This style does not appear there.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=141639

GeneralLucas
Your knife is very similar to a knife pictured on page 49 of Buerlien's "Allied Military Fighting Knives...." As the book describes, the handle is made of various alloy, and is cast onto the blade. No pummel bolt is needed.

Perhaps you will add your variation to our F-S knife thread. This style does not appear there.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=141639

I will do this to help the Forum community.

GeneralLucas
Its cast to tang construction, I cant tell from the picture, is the handle material brass, zinc or aluminum?

It appears aluminum. Here are better pictures.

post-1658-1340831807.jpg

It appears aluminum. Here are better pictures.

Aluminum and zinc can appear the same with a patina over time, the difference is weight. If its light weight its aluminum, zinc is about the same density as brass, so it would be very handle heavy.