Vietnam camo SOG or SF jacket

Copran

nguoi tien su

Thank very much for the confirmation CAFBW!

As for me some of the guys are also definitely Cambodian, with very specific features. I think that the 3rd guy from the right is also on the other pic.

NTS

Does anyone have a list on idea what SOG guys carried in their pockets?

Matt

—in answer to your questions

SOG Uniform: On the left side of the collar, in the 2d button hole down, he carried a rubber constricting band-used to give himself and others IV if hit.

In the upper left shirt sleeve pocket he carried morphine syringe;

right pants cargo pocket carried indigenous ration already mixed with water;

left cargo pocket: IV in plastic bag (another in rucksack);

left breast pocket carried CEOI/codes.

Right breast pocket: small signal mirror and small section of VS-17 orange panel.

No dog tags, no US ID no US name tapes. Jacket was tucked in.

The belt was A7A cargo strap with two iron strap hooks on front left and on right-emergency "STABO" rig if STABO rig with web gear was ditched.

He wore captured NVA/CHICOM AK-47 chest pouch.

Each magazine compartment held two (2) 30 round mags for CAR-15. He had to slit top of each compartment in order to be able to pull the mags out. This was spray painted flat black

In the vest small compartments were mini-frag grenades, mini-smoke grenades, signal mirror, section of VS-17 panel, cleaning kit, mini-cs grenade.

hope this helps....

Gents, As a follow on---heres a picture that might help some more---closeup of LT Bowra in his gear...btw that's a CS mini-grenade on his stabo harness---helpful for breaking contact...regards

post-2235-1202385992.jpg

Thanks for the hot info CW4AFB.

Can I ask where you got it? I've copied the information and I'd like to give it a reference.

What are your thoughts on the pic of Bowra that is shown Below?

Bowrart.jpg

Mr X---the info comes from a really reliable source....what specifically were you curious about in the picture?

btw; I like your symbol---does it imply some SWA service with the arabic lettering?

Hello All

This may be alittle late in the posting but one thing no one has touched on is that it my be from a Company H Ranger. late in 1969- early 70 the Commanding Officer of Company H 1st Cav Divison came over from MACV SOG I believe CCN, I'll have to look, but my point is that Ive got a few photos along with seeing originals, talking to a few of the vets, and a lot of the teams are wearing the ERDLs with either the 4 pocket or 6 pocket variant. Just some food for thought. I don't believe any of the other Ranger Companies did this to my knowledge, but then again I may be wrong!

thanks,

paul

Im sorry but maybe its my eyes or im reading something wrong..... from what I can see it reads FRANKLIN MILLER

the MOH winner does it not??

just wondering. Still a wonderful Piece with the One-Zero school SCU insignia in the middle

paul

Yes, it s Franklin Doug Miller plaque, the MOH winner

Im sorry but maybe its my eyes or im reading something wrong..... from what I can see it reads FRANKLIN MILLER

the MOH winner does it not??

just wondering. Still a wonderful Piece with the One-Zero school SCU insignia in the middle

paul

usmc-collector

you may be inetersted in these two links bellow referencing Major General (Retired) Kenneth R. Bowra:

1) http://www.dxpo.com/dx/05/vip-bowra-bio.asp biography - includes some Vietnam era photos discused here with description

2) http://www.dxpo.com/dx/05/vip-bowra-awd.asp award - includes one Vietnam era photo

JAROSLAV

Mr X---the info comes from a really reliable source....what specifically were you curious about in the picture?

btw; I like your symbol---does it imply some SWA service with the arabic lettering?

Hi CW4AFB,

I am a University Student undertaking a BA (History major). I am just about finished and then I start my Honors.

Your information was very good. I wanted to note the source so that I would be able to re quote it at a later time. I guess I am just being a Historian.

They teach us that information is useless without a proper source.

I am also a reserve soldier, but here in Australia, there isnt too much hope of being deployed to SWA as a reservest. Esp while doing a degree.

My nickname is Homer, hence the top picture. The Bottom is my name: Leigh. It is from a name tag that a mate in the AATTI had made up and sent home for me.

I asked about the second picture as a lot of people have theories about the team and date of the picture and I want to see if you could confirm, the date, the Team and the location as you did with the pic of Bowra and the FANK soldiers.

Thanks mate.

Leigh

Hi CW4AFB,

I am a University Student undertaking a BA (History major). I am just about finished and then I start my Honors.

Your information was very good. I wanted to note the source so that I would be able to re quote it at a later time. I guess I am just being a Historian.

They teach us that information is useless without a proper source.

I am also a reserve soldier, but here in Australia, there isnt too much hope of being deployed to SWA as a reservest. Esp while doing a degree.

My nickname is Homer, hence the top picture. The Bottom is my name: Leigh. It is from a name tag that a mate in the AATTI had made up and sent home for me.

I asked about the second picture as a lot of people have theories about the team and date of the picture and I want to see if you could confirm, the date, the Team and the location as you did with the pic of Bowra and the FANK soldiers.

Thanks mate.

Leigh

Leigh---the photo was taken early 72. The Sidewinder team was on mission rehearsal in free fire area in I Corps.

I celebrated Australia day here on the 26th with some of your countrymen---that Crown beer is pretty good stuff, especially cold and in large quantities....

regards, AFB

Leigh---the photo was taken early 72. The Sidewinder team was on mission rehearsal in free fire area in I Corps.

I celebrated Australia day here on the 26th with some of your countrymen---that Crown beer is pretty good stuff, especially cold and in large quantities....

regards, AFB

Ah, good old Crownies. They do the trick dont they!

Thanks for the info.

"......like SEALs using blue jeans for training."

Actually, I have pics and video footage of SEALs during pre-deploying training wearing Levi's and Lee jeans.

Exactly! So the only way I knew that SEALS used whatever was available or whatever works, is to have photographs from SEAL vets using blue jeans during training sessions!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

This is my last gear acquisition from the Green Beret named FLATTEN or FLANTEN, I don't know whether it was made during vietnam war or later. Can someone tell if this was a common pratice to spray black paint on web gear ?

Thanks

post-1523-1213549377.jpg

Hello,

This is my last gear acquisition from the Green Beret named FLATTEN or FLANTEN, I don't know whether it was made during vietnam war or later. Can someone tell if this was a common pratice to spray black paint on web gear ?

Thanks

I do not know, but I have had plain OD green jungle fatigues spray painted with black paint to make a cammo pattern of a similar type.

Hello,

Thanks

My understanding is that it was done quite a bit on SOG.

You'll need to look up the name in Sherman's Who's Who of MACV-SOG.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

This picture was taken from the Czech Vietnam website longtime ago, we can see this guy had 2 pockets on his ERDL shirt, and he wore ERDL camo pants and hat. I'm not sure if he was SOG or LRRP, in mission or training, but interesting pic for this topic.

post-1523-1222017287.jpg