Vietnam camo SOG or SF jacket

Copran

Corpan,

Here are some pictures that were used on another forum several years ago showing the modified shirts. I have not seen pics of the ERDL jacket being modified, but if they modified the jungle jackets, then they probably modifed the ERDL as well. Hope this helps.

Arch

post-5424-1234256506.jpg

Thats a Lee Burkins from RT Vermont with that kid

If I have good memory the guy from photo is from ranger unit Co.L. 101 Div. photo is from 101 lrrp site: http://www.lcompanyranger.com/

Cherrs,

JK

Actually thats a Ranger from Company H, their CO was a former SOG officer, which is where they got the idea of the sleeve pockets. I cant remeber his name but he wrote a book a few years back.

p

Actually thats a Ranger from Company H, their CO was a former SOG officer, which is where they got the idea of the sleeve pockets. I cant remeber his name but he wrote a book a few years back.

p

H CO....1st Cav Division

I want to get this thread back on track so I will post images of an authentic cross border jacket noting some of its unique features. First is a straight on image clearly showing that the breast pockets have been repositioned from angled to parallel to the ground.

post-405-1234901801.jpg

Mike,

that is a nice item, was it a collection purchase or a veteran aquisition if you will pardon the question?

A nice French/Vietnamese influence on the breast pocket additions.

Thanks for sharing,

Patrick.

Speaking of SOG 1-0 cross the fence jackets, heres one I took a photo of many years ago at Jason hardy's table, loved this jacket, wish I would have had the funds to buy it!!!

post-2472-1234922047.jpg

post-2472-1234922119.jpg

Cool jacket Paul, any close ups of the name tapes?

Mike, maybe my eyes are messed up but it seems that maybe the repostioned breast pockets on that shirt look like lower ones and the pockets that were on the top were moved to the sleeves?

Second image provides a closer view of the breast area.

Mike,

That SOG jacket is officially the coolest piece of militaria I have seen this year! I comb this forum waiting for posts like this. Thank you!!! Can you tell us anything about the vet?

---Chris

Speaking of SOG 1-0 cross the fence jackets, heres one I took a photo of many years ago at Jason hardy's table, loved this jacket, wish I would have had the funds to buy it!!!

Paul,

When was Jason selling this? I had not seen this beauty before! Thanks for sharing.

---Chris

Paul,

When was Jason selling this? I had not seen this beauty before! Thanks for sharing.

---Chris

God, must have been way back in 2001 or 2002, Ive got a really cool OD one that I cant seem to upload for some reason, bought it from Bob Chatt a few years ago, probably my fav of all!!

thanks

oh heres another one I pirated from Jason, all I need is one of these and I can die a happy man!!!

paul

post-2472-1234928542.jpg

Paul,

I need to reciprocate on this thread and post an over the fence camo'd set I got from Hardy several years ago, but I don't seem to have any pics of it. I will try to get some over the weekend.

In the meantime, let's see this killer jacket your got from Bob Chatt!

--Chris

Paul,

I need to reciprocate on this thread and post an over the fence camo'd set I got from Hardy several years ago, but I don't seem to have any pics of it. I will try to get some over the weekend.

In the meantime, let's see this killer jacket your got from Bob Chatt!

--Chris

hey chris

you got it, just gotta figure out how to upload it :)

gotta go to photo bucket!!!

oh heres a nice beret for you to drool over!! lol

along with a CCC letter head and CCS members

p

post-2472-1234929513.jpg

post-2472-1234929526.jpg

post-2472-1234929537.jpg

Observation on the topic from a friend:

--------------------------------------------

"That was good, but shows how collectors who were never there or didn't get them directly from SOG members can easily be sucked in by "stories".

This is what we wore, Tiger Fatigues or plain green rip stops with the bottom pockets removed so you could tuck them in. They were tucked in becase the loose ends could get caught in and foul a snap link if you were rapelling in. One of the pictures shows a trooper with a snap link at each shoulder. That indicates he was wearing a Stabo rig. Those rigs were based on the parachute harness and the leg straps were coiled up and secured with either tape or retaining bands. When you needed to use it, you released the straps hooked them in the front and hooked the rig to those snap links which were on D-rings on the harness.It was a great improvement over the McGuire rig which was almost impossible to use for a wounded or unconscious trooper. We never had the "modern" camouflage design. I didn't see that until I got back to the States. I didn't and don't know anyone who carried one of their field uniforms back to the States. BTW, we never had field uniforms with name tags, US Army or patches issued to us, ours were all sterile, those had to be brought back by others, maybe the clerks at the airport in Saigon when we just threw them away and were issued TWs."

That is your friends observation and experiance but obviously some guys did bring stuff back. Everyone is different when it comes to keeping items they used as well as what was used.

That is your friends observation and experiance but obviously some guys did bring stuff back. Everyone is different when it comes to keeping items they used as well as what was used.

Probably so - yet, hopefully the comment will contribute something useful to questions of authenticity and provenance.

Probably so - yet, hopefully the comment will contribute something useful to questions of authenticity and provenance.

If your friends comment on cammo uniform was directed at the ERDL, I can understand, these were used in the last 5 minutes of SOG's involvement and from what I can gather, were not worn "Across the fence" Only the sterile greens, and the CISO copied NVA uniforms were worn.

As for name tapes and US Army strips, the two strips on the uniform read; O-POSITIVE & NON-ALLEGETIC, giving the wearers blood type and no bad affects to Morphine, again, these tapes were only worn by members of CCN, so you friend probably didnt see em!

The ERDL shirt was in Jason hardys collection and I can bet its 10000% good!!!

p

Hi,

I can see there is still the size tag on the collar, so it means that SOG men didn't care about "sterility" of their outfit. So why do some people still affirm that the mod shirt with tags of tapes could not be worn by SOG.

Mine as shown in the beginning of this topi still has all his tags.

It certainly is a unique and challenging field of militaria, that much is for certain... with rarity growing every day some 45 or so years later.

I always read these threads although I do no collecting of SF, MACV or SOG... I suppose just because of the rarity, the circumstances under which the artifacts came into use, to educate myself a bit, and the era which has a personal relevance to me. I author no expertise, yet exaggerated claims in collecting ANY militaria are, in themselves, of tremendous fascination.

Of course, it can be difficult at times to make an absolute 100% post facto attribution and, for me, in the category of aviation patches/insignia/memorabilia I'm often in the position of needing to accept the "strong probabilities" rather than always having perfectly clean pedigree. Naturally, with prices being what they are for certain categories of objects then decisions are sometimes considerably heightened.

This is what makes our hobby or avocation worth bothering with... coming across true relics and truly knowledgeable collectors is the great joy of it - for me.

And this brings us full circle. Concerning any rare item, especially relating to SOG, provenance is what makes me sleep better. Fortunately, the SOG items in my collection were acquired directly from the SOG veteran or I directly watched the transaction happen through another person before I was able to purchase it.