50th Anniversary Reunion - Battle of Gettysburg

SCF-Collector

Great photos and info. I have a set of 75th Reunion badges each with a different name. What is the book or source of attendee names and how do I find it or get one?

There are two books.

1. The Official Commission Report - hardback. This one is hard to find - don't see it very often at all.

2. The paperback book "The Last Reunion of the Blue & Gray by Paul Roy. Roy was the secretary of the Commission. This book contains basically the same list as the official Commission Report. This one comes up for sale occasionally, It's out of print.

If you post the name here I would be happy to look it up for you. I really only need the Veteran name - the Attendant Badge names aren't on the list.

SCF-Collector

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Joseph J. Henderson is the name?

I see only one entry on the list in Paul Roy's book for Henderson with a first initial of "J" that could be a match. I say "could be" because the middle initial doesn't match!

If the middle initial were an "I" in stead of a "J" you'd have a match for:

J. I. Henderson, Mississippi, Pontotoc (listed address)

He was a Confederate!

It's absolutely possible that the name is listed wrong in the book (middle initial "I" vs. "J". so close) or that the medal itself is wrong (less likely with these medals, but it's still possible).

If you have the original Attendant medal with your Veteran medal - you could possibly use that family name (if you're lucky) to determine if this is the correct Veteran.

It's also possible that the medal/name you have is NOT included on the official lists. I know for a fact that there are medals for Veterans that are NOT on the original list - which was prepared 2-3 months before the actual reunion.

You have a great medal and piece of history - and a fun research project to track down for-certain who the Veteran was, and which side he fought for!

Not to worry about the time. I appreciate your looking it up.

The name is Joseph J. Henderson on the medal. It is well engraved so there is not doubt as to the name. The attendant's badge came from the same person, but I don't know if they are a match or not. The name on the attendant badge is CLIFTON J. EWING.

I did find a Joseph J. Henderson listed as a part of Morgan's Cavalry but could not find a home or place of enlistment.

Sometimes the hunt is as much fun as the kill.

SCF-Collector

The name on the Attendant badge doesn't always match the Veteran's name - so if these came together they likely belong together. Could be a son-in-law, a family friend, a distant relative - who knows. I own three pairs of these medals and as I recall only one pair has matching last names!

I checked the CW Database just now. Don't see any Joseph Henderson's listed that might match on the Confederate list. I do see 23 Yankees (Joseph Henderson) that survived the war. That doesn't help <g>.

The fact that your Attendant medal name has a middle initial could really help. A little research might just turn up a match. I did a quick search, found a Clifton J. Ewing that popped up as a 1940 listing for that name as Commander of an American Legion Auxiliary post. Maybe the middle initial is for "Joseph" - and he's a descendant named after him. It's possible, right?

The hunt is definitely as much fun as the kill for me. I love tracking down the history that's behind the pieces in my collection. It's what drives me to collect - the research and documenting of the history.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up the military collections of MG EM Lewis and son MG HB Lewis. The collection included their medals as well as a 75th anniversary Gettysburg vet and accompanying attendant medals. They are odd to have in the two general's collections as the name on the vet is Larkin Woodruff who is listed in the 50th colored regiment, thus assume he is likely black. Badge number 1322, The attendee is Clarence Woodruff. I am assuming he may have been the son of the Clarence Woodruff in the 52 colored regiment. He had medal 1399. Would be curious if anyone knows if any other colored soldiers were in attendance or anything else about these solider(s). Do not see the logic of them being in with the Lewis personal items and would like to learn more.

SCF-Collector

I'm in the process of loading-up the truck to head to Gettysburg for the show, so my initial response will have to be brief. I'm taking my Gettysburg Display back on the road for ONE more show.

Larkin could also be white - as I recall the officers of the Colored Regiments in the CW were usually white. He might well be kin to your guys. I'll look in my books (all packed in the truck right now) when I get back (or if nothing to do at the show...yeah, right) and see if I can dig-up more information for you.

You typed "attendant medals" plural - do you have more than one with the Vet medal?

So the Vet is Clarence Woodruff - and the attendant name(s) are what?

I'd be happy to do some more research when I get back!

SCF-Collector

Back from the Gettysburg Show and round-2 of my display (I was convinced to do it again).

The show was well attended. They had my display in the back-right corner of the room and away from the main flow, so it wasn't ever crowded like it was in June, but I did get a number of visitors and many compliments on the display.

I wish it had been located it a better position - for general traffic, and so that I didn't have to run back and forth between it and my sales table (which I had to check-in on periodically). My sales table was on the OPPOSITE corner of the show floor! I did a LOT of walking over 3 days!

It was fun, but staring out my window at the Jeep - still loaded with the display, and knowing I have to unload it later this morning, I think it's going to be officially RETIRED! It took me over 2 hours yesterday to tear it down and pack it all back into the Jeep!

I had added maybe 6 pieces to the display since June. I have others - but no room in the display cases without re-arranging them completely, and that wasn't going to happen in-time for the show. On the good news front - I managed to acquire another 1913 regimental ribbon (121st NY) at the show, and a great paper lot consisting of the two small cards for a 75th reunion Veteran and his

Attendant - a third card with their tent assignment information - and a Program signed by the Attendant (who i believe was his daughter). I've only ever seen maybe 2 of these before. What made it even better was that the Veteran was a Confederate! Fortunately the guy in front of me at the table who was trying to buy it didn't realize that, or it didn't matter to him, and passed it to me! The clue was that the address for their tent was "U.C.V. Camp". A productive show in this regard anyway! I haven't researched the Vet yet, but I was told later that the dealer had, and he was from Arkansas!

For what it's worth, I wanted to confess that this experience has given me a whole new level of respect for all the folks I've met over the years who have done a display at a show. Now that I know what they went through I definitely didn't thank them nearly enough for their efforts. In the future, you can bet I will!

To start that process - to all those collectors out there, who's displays I've marveled at and learned from over the years, THANK YOU for investing your time and energy to share your knowledge with your fellow collectors!

An excellent report Mickey. I have not been to the Gettysburg show for years but I always found something there that I had to carry away.

I hear you talking when you speak of the trouble it takes to have a display at these shows. I also think it is worth the time and trouble but not until I have been home for a week or so. Unloading the car and getting everything back in order is always a test of wills. Mine over the stuff!

Keep up the good work.

SCF-Collector

Thanks Sarge.

Better give me about a month to recover. I just unloaded the truck so it's now spread-out all over the living room!

My question now, whether I've "retired" this show for-good or not, is what to do with it all. Driving home from Gettysburg I found myself considering whether to return all the pieces to their individual rikers, document binders, boxes, drawers, or whatever - or leaving it all in the cases and finding a way/place to display, or at least store them safely in the house. I just can't bear the thought of returning all the individual pieces to their various original storage locations where I can't easily see them! This display was the first time I've ever had all the stuff in one place and visible - let alone organized to tell the story.

I guess I can't suggest to my wife that we put an addition on the house for my collection, at least not until we get the basement cleaned out and usable <g>.

I had the opportunity to attend both Gettysburg CW Shows this year and the privilege of seeing Mickey's display two times.

In June I was a bit awestruck by the whole thing and simply tried to visually take in as much as I could before I left. The one panoramic picture of the tent city leaves you speechless- a sea of white tents meticulously set up in straight lines.

Saturday I was able to focus in on some areas that interested me and learned a bit more about these great gatherings. The depth of Mickey's knowledge of these reunions is awesome. The numerous pictures of small groupings of vets at Devil's Den and other locations are in beautiful crisp condition to the point that the badges and medals they wore can be IDed. I especially enjoyed Mickey's story about the vet wearing the Missouri ribbon and how it confirmed a previously disputed fact. I learned that these reunions were a commissioned effort among the federal and state governments, which would mean the Attendees were technically given medals and not badges I think-I will leave the semantics to the experts.

A truly wonderful display. Maybe Mickey will keep the display intact and road-ready. I would enjoy a 3rd tour of the display as much as the 1st. A lot more to learn. Doug

SCF-Collector

Thanks for the kind words Doug.

You were a willing listener, but I think there were other folks who got WAY more than they bargained for when they asked me a question!

I think technically the various pieces would be designated as "badges". I thought more about your question after we discussed it at the show. The "medals/badges" were actually issued by the Commission running the 75th Reunion, and although that Commission received Federal and some funding from individual States, the issuer was I believe the Commission, and not the Government directly. If I understand the criteria correctly - that would make them badges, right?

Anyone else have a more informed opinion on that topic?

Thanks Doug, now I have something ELSE to research - LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Mickey,

I am new to the forum and only recently found this very interesting topic. You have a wonderful collection and as many before me have said, thanks for sharing it both on the forum and at shows. I have collected miscellaneous Civil War items for many years and in the process have been fortunate enough to pick up two of the 1938 reunion medals/badges. One is a confirmed Confederate, identified on the medal as Daniel Huston Wade, and the other was a Union Veteran, George W. Mosley. I was lucky on Mr. Mosley and also obtained the souvenir photo that was taken of him and his son-in-law, as identified on the back of the photo, in front of his tent at the reunion. It has some emulsion loss but you can see him proudly displaying his medal and looks to be every bit of 92+. I am curious how many confirmed Confederate 1938 medals you have identified over the years? This forum is an excellent place to document some of these rare pieces. I have shared photos below of the medals and the photo of Mr. Mosley and Tom?

Tommy

post-93122-0-15988700-1383843263.jpg

post-93122-0-84944700-1383843279.jpg

SCF-Collector

Tommy,

Thanks for the kind words - and your posts/pictures!

First of all, in case you don't have the information, Paul Roy's book (and roster of 75th reunion attendees) has both of these Veterans.

George W. Mosley. Yankee. Attended from Oklahoma, 212 Park Avenue, Lawton OK. A quick check of the records reveals no exact match - 4 possibilities pop-up - 1 KIA, 1 USCT/Private (that doesn't match your picture), 1 for George Mosley, 8th NJ Infantry (a possibility), and 1 G. Mosley (132nd NY Infantry).

Daniel Huston Wade. Definitely a Confederate. Attended from Texas - 5223 East Side Avenue, Dallas, TX. I didn't find an exact match in the database - but 6 possibilities (search for D. Wade) - unfortunately none from a Texas unit (would be a good sign). However, with a little research I think it might be confirmed (maybe you already have?) that this guy was with the 10th Kentucky Cavalry - Partisan Rangers. I did a Google search on the name and the entry that comes up for the Gettysburg Times (wwww.newspapers.com) has a piece of the text that says "Daniel Huston Wade. 103. Dallas, Texas; Alabama Wheller cavalry -I still drive my own aato. and look after the furnace and chores and am called......" . . One of the six possibilities the database spit-out was in the 10th Kentucky Cavalry. Wouldn't that be nice? I don't have an account on that web site - but I was tempted to sign-up for one to read the article!

As for how many Confederate medals I've seen - not many at all. As I mentioned in an earlier post, only 486 of the 1845 documented attendees were Confederate - and in my collecting lifetime I've seen a total of three - two I couldn't acquire, and the one I recently acquired. Now with yours, that's four!

I think the person with Mosley is likely a son-in-law or son. He looks to be about the right age. Some further research might nail that down.

Anyway, thanks again for the posts/pictures. I really like the way this thread (and the USMF in general) is allowing us to pull information like this together and share it.

Thanks Mickey, this is some great additional information that I did not have. I believe that at one time a collector friend had the Gettysburg book that listed the attendees and that was how I knew that Mosley was Union and Wade was Confederate, but beyond that I had not had much luck nailing down the units they served in. The reference you found in the newspaper will help get me started again on the hunt for Mr. Wade's service info. I have hit a few dead ends on this journey before!! I have one other 1938 related grouping that I will share at a later date. Unfortunately, I did not get the attendee medal, he was buried in it, but I did get the attendant medal and a wonderful photo of him and his daughter sitting in front of his tent at Gettysburg. He was Moses J. Bonner and was a Confederate. Thanks again for your help and comments.

Tommy

SCF-Collector

Tommy,

NP. always glad to help in any way I can.

I've often thought that a fair number of the 75th Anniversary Veteran medals might have gone with the Veteran to the grave. I base that conclusion on the general scarcity of these things - and the fact that I see a fair number of orphaned Attendant medals on the market - more than I see Veteran medals, or the even scarcer intact pairs). I can't think of any other logical explanation for the orphaned Attendant medals that seem to be easier to come by at shows or on eBay (not plentiful by any measure, but more of them than Veteran medals anyway). Maybe it's just that the Veteran medals are more cherished by the families than the Attendant medals - I just don't know. Personally, I can't imagine parting with a family Attendant medal if I knew it was related to my great-grandfather - whether I had his Veteran medal or not!

I look forward to seeing your other 1938 grouping! It will certainly add to the growing body of knowledge we're capturing in this thread!

Speaking of which, I've been trying to create/keep a list of the Veteran medals that I come across here in the thread, and elsewhere. I've been collecting data to support my theory that these badges were numbered in the order that the RSVP paperwork was processed before the reunion (if the process was even THAT logical). So far in this thread we've seen 8 named 75th Veteran badges - with numbers for all but one of them - two Confederate, six Yankee. That's actually a pretty good representative data set - since the ratio of documented attendees was about 75% Yankee and 25% Confederate. So far the numbers on the badges show NO pattern what-so-ever! For the Confederates Wade was #1525 and Brooks was #1562 - no pattern there. For the Yankees, similar results - for example - Conrad was #1533, Scrivner was #1066, and Mowry was #336! I need more data - but I think there's no pattern to be found! BTW, I'm working on a similar list for the Attendant medals - and so far the results are the same - no pattern that I can discern.

No, I'm not obsessed with this stuff......LOL

There is a Texas Confederate pension application for D.H. Wade, who lived in Kaufman County, Texas when he applied for a pension in December 1930. He listed his age as 87, and stated his unit was Company H, 7th Alabama Cavalry. He also had an affidavit from J.T. Bland, who stated he had seen Wade serving in the army and that they had both fought in the "battel of Chicamaugher."

I agree with you on the theory that many of the 1938 Medals may be buried with the Veterans. I have thought, especially in the case of Mr. Bonner, that perhaps many of the veterans who made the trip to Gettysburg were not only advanced in years, he was 91, but also very active in their veterans group. Mr. Bonner is addressed in several pieces of correspondence as General Bonner. I don't know that he was a General in the UCV but I suspect that he was very active in the organization. He died in September 1939, just a little over a year after the reunion, and it was family history that he was buried in his UCV uniform with his "medals" and his cavalry boots on? So I guess my theory is that many died within a very few years of this reunion, they probably all cherished their "medals" and many were active in the veterans group, GAR or UCV, and wanted to be buried with military honors (in uniform with medals)? On the subject of attendants medals, you can add number 1429 to your list. This is for "General" Bonner's daughter, Mrs. J.C. Jones, who accompanied him to the reunion from Fort Worth, Texas.

There is a Texas Confederate pension application for D.H. Wade, who lived in Kaufman County, Texas when he applied for a pension in December 1930. He listed his age as 87, and stated his unit was Company H, 7th Alabama Cavalry. He also had an affidavit from J.T. Bland, who stated he had seen Wade serving in the army and that they had both fought in the "battel of Chicamaugher."

Thanks, this is another clue as to the unit that he served in. I need to dig all my previous research out and dust it off and see if I can figure this out.

SCF-Collector

That's got to be your guy Tommy! It fits that Google hit perfectly, the Alabama reference for Wheeler's Cavalry. Nice work C-B!

Thanks Mickey, this is some great additional information that I did not have. I believe that at one time a collector friend had the Gettysburg book that listed the attendees and that was how I knew that Mosley was Union and Wade was Confederate, but beyond that I had not had much luck nailing down the units they served in. The reference you found in the newspaper will help get me started again on the hunt for Mr. Wade's service info. I have hit a few dead ends on this journey before!! I have one other 1938 related grouping that I will share at a later date. Unfortunately, I did not get the attendee medal, he was buried in it, but I did get the attendant medal and a wonderful photo of him and his daughter sitting in front of his tent at Gettysburg. He was Moses J. Bonner and was a Confederate. Thanks again for your help and comments.

Tommy

Here is the picture of Moses J. Bonner and his daughter at the 1938 Gettysburg reunion. As I previously stated, I did not get his 1938 medal but did get the attendant medal with his daughter's name, Mrs. J.C. Jones, #1429. I have previously researched Mr. Bonner and he applied for his pension in Texas indicating service in the 12th Texas Cavalry but I have not found his actual service records for this unit? He was very active in the UCV and attended many reunions over the years.

Tommy

post-93122-0-64432500-1384285248.jpg