Custer Battlefield

oldfireguy

I too enjoyed the Reno-Benteen site. Why? Cause there were survivors up into the mid 1900s telling their story so you were able to get the picture. On the Custer site The Native Americans were the only ones left and nobody really went after their story until it was to late.

Absolutely! The early historians (and newspapers) dismissed all accounts that came from the Indians and in doing so fostered many misconceptions about the battle. Gregory Michino's book, "The Mystery of E Troop" takes into account white, Indian and archeological sources to put the battle into a well reasoned perspective and makes for a great read.

The other fascination I have with this site is the landscape of the northern prairie and the course of the battle over a large area. The Reno-Benteen defense is over 3 miles away from Custer Hill!

Here is a shot from Custer Hill looking down Cemetery Ravine towards the river to give a better perspective from Custer's position.

post-3673-1341081407.jpg

Absolutely! The early historians (and newspapers) dismissed all accounts that came from the Indians and in doing so fostered many misconceptions about the battle. Gregory Michino's book, "The Mystery of E Troop" takes into account white, Indian and archeological sources to put the battle into a well reasoned perspective and makes for a great read.

The other fascination I have with this site is the landscape of the northern prairie and the course of the battle over a large area. The Reno-Benteen defense is over 3 miles away from Custer Hill!

Here is a shot from Custer Hill looking down Cemetery Ravine towards the river to give a better perspective from Custer's position.

post-3673-1341081407.jpg

Pat

Thanks for the extra pictures.I dont think people realize the expanse of the battlefield.I know I didnt til I actually stood there.I found it intresting also the other defensive sites.The accounts I have read of the men trying to dig in with little or no equipment other than hands,rifle butts,mess pans etc.

oldfireguy
I don't think people realize the expanse of the battlefield.

We followed his route from the river drop off to the battle and it really opened up my eyes. They put a lot of miles in the saddle just to get there.

pony soldier

To all:

I completely share your thoughts on the presence of the "Custer Battlefield" (not Little Big Horn Battlefield). Without becoming too political we just have allowed ourselves as a nation to become to easy to roll over in many areas. To the matter of the NPS service presence on the site you are corrent in that is one-sided in presentatation. I have been to the battle field in 1957, 1961 and at the centennial in 1976. In almost each case it was almost like "Custer who??" with 1961 being particularily bad.

The reason being for me was a book I had purchased and studied hard in 1954, titled "Legend into History" by Dr. Charles Kuhlman. He had been a history professor at the Univ. of Montana in the 1930's until apparently he lost his hearing. On a trip to the field in the early 30's he became fascinated with trying to unravel the mystery. His approach as novel at the time, using time and space played against each other to find the way. He used a great deal of Indian testimony that had been recorded over the years to work through his thesis. And certainly nothing wrong with that as they were the ones who fought and survived. His work produced what he named the "South

Skirmish Line" zone of combat which in his mind became instrumental in the defeat of Custer's men.

While there in 1961 I spoke with NPS people about the battle and Kuhlman's book and was told very bluntly it was too radical and would not be sale at the site museum. How is that for being open minded.

Back in 1984 the battlefield suffered through a grass fire which produced the ability to allow archeological digs in 1985 and 1986 headed up by Dr. Scott and Fox. By virtue of the fire all students of the battle has now has the chance to learn a great deal more about the way the fighting progressed from the artifacts recovered in those digs.

A side benefit for me has been that Kuhlman who years before was ridiculed now was proven to be correct in his assumptions and the South Skirmish Line to become a reality.

I have collected Custer for some 50 years and acquired over 900 books on the subject. To date one the best I have read, done in the same manner as Kuhlman is "Vanishing Victory" by Bruce Liddic in 2004. Kuhlman laid the groundwork and Liddic carried it further. If one wants an understanding of the battle, its players and terrain, minute by minute foot by foot this is the place to start.

It is a great historical place and a national cemetary. It does not deserve the playing of political correctness and rancor on such ground. Let it just have the fair truth spoken there by all parties without bias.

Pony Soldier

Thanks again for all the photos,fellas.Im really enjoying looking at them all,

Major Jealously being felt :lol:

Well said ,Pony Soldier :thumbsup: