Vehicle Markings

Gliderinf

Correct mate...the 21****** is the hood number

PS cant beleive you still aint got yer parts from Northridge ?

maybe a post on here may help..

Regards

Lloyd

We have another little problem think.gif

Some dodges seem to have rear rubber mud flaps on. Mine has the brackets for them but no rubber.

The question is – are rear mudflaps original or a Norwegian add-on?

I have looked at some wartime photos of Dodges and cannot see mudflaps on any of them.

Any ideas?

Can't say as ive noticed them, so probably Norwegian ?

Johan Willaert

WW2 Dodge WC series did not have mud flaps upon manufacture....

In some units mud flaps may have been added, but as you say I suspect they were put there by the Nowegian Army...

Hi Gliderinf and Johan...DEFINATLEY 100% Norwegian add on....

my WC 52 had them on and i left them on...they didnt look out of place

Regards

Lloyd

Johan Willaert
Can anyone tell me anything from the serial and registration numbers, or know of a website with lists on ?

Please verify the rear body...

Is the body touching the spare wheel, or is there an opening large enough to let someone enter the vehicle?

Is the part of the body that's in front of the rear wheels lower than the part behind the rear wheels of the vehicle?

Is there a body ID tag on the left front panel of the body?

I suspect Frame Number 81658100 is just in the transition period between the second and third type of body with 81656316 having a second type of body...

USA 2173364 is a US Army registration number for a Dodge WC51/52 from a Govt contract W-374-ORD-2864, mid to late 1943 approx

Can you tell from this shot ?

Also this red and yellow marking thats been painted over, Could it be anything US army, or just the Norwegian mobile bath unit ?

post-91-1170111084.jpg

post-91-1170111100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Johan Willaert

The circles star on the hood for aerial recognition was common practice for US vehicles in the ETO 1944-1945....

Stars on sides of vehicles were generally without circles, but varied with different units...

Again only period images can tell you what markings were used by a specific unit....

Johan

• 1 year later...

It's a shame, really, having all those Jeeps, GMC's and lately Dodge's marked as Airborne vehicles. The young generations growing up must wonder, when seeing WW2 MV's gathered, if WW2 was fought and won exclusively by 101'st and 82 AB?

Dare to be different! The Dodge WC5 1 was indeed used in the ambulance role. A WC51 could take 5 stretchers in the back, with some overhead cover for the patients. Dodge's, both WC51 and the "real" ambulance, the WC54, had red crosses painted on the grille. Many examples of this practice during WW2 can be found. The red crosses in the backof the WC51, on each side of the tarp, could either be painted on or in the form of red cross flags tied onto the side. I have only seen the WC51, and the WC62/63 (6-wheel version) as "extra" ambulances. The longer WC62/63 were used mostly for transporting hospital equipment, tents, x-ray machinery etc. for the medical units. The WC51 was used botha s an ambulance and as personal vehicles of surgeons (See "Combat Medic World War II" by John A. Kerner M.D. [iSBN 1-59687-316-7] a batatlion surgeon that landed in Normandy and kept on through the Battle of the Bulge, and beyond. [Highly recoomended reading for anyone interested in medical matters during WW2.] A quote from said book, page 128: " I was bitter cold. We found stoves and assembled them in one of the rooms of the farmhouse........ From then on, we always carried stoves and pipe with us. These were tied onto our front fenders, so that we looked more like gypsies than soldiers." John Kerner further writes(page 129): " M personal belongings were scattered over my three quarter-ton truck. In the trailer attached to it was a duffel bag containing extra clothes,....."

I'm going onthe opposite route when marking my own Dodge WC51. It will be marked as an ambulance, but of one belonging to the Brazilian Expeditionary Force that fought under General Clark and the 5th Army, 1944-45 in Italy.

Good luck,

As always,

Goran N

post-3954-1221055131.jpg

• 15 years later...

General Information:

The 326 AMC did not use the WC51 vehicles they didn't even have WC54 ambulances they were gliderborne and all ambulances were changed out to jeep ambulances (so basicly a jeep with changes to have stretchers on rather safe...)

Ambulances were mainly from Ambulance Motor Company that was attached for the operations.