USS Constitution

The Meatcan

You apply through a branch called "Special Programs". There is a seclection process, based on appearance and historical knowledge. They generally like to get people right from boot camp who haven't developed any bad habbits yet. Then fill out the crew with specific ratings, Boatswains Mate, Gunners Mate, obvious choices. Also specific paygrades. I tried repeatedly to get orders to her. I was either the wrong rate (ASE, an aviation rating) or too senior. For enlisteds it's an honor. I think though for officers it's a dead end. Every year now, when the Chief Petty Officer selection list comes out, a group of the selectees are chosen to go aboard for several weeks and learn th operate her. Many of the full time crew are much junior to the selectees, so every one learns something about team work, which is the point. I would have loved that and think it is a great idea. It's not about learning to operate the rigging, it's a lot of hard work that has to be done by a team pulling together.

Steve Hesson

Roger that Steve...thanks for the detailed response! :thumbsup:

The Meatcan

Steve - thanks for posting yet more great info. I was hoping you'd comment on this thread :thumbsup:

Those old timey sailor caps caught my eye too. Very cool.

cheers,

Terry

More uniform details.

post-8022-1340558266.jpgpost-8022-1340558247.jpg

Everyone talks about the "Tar Flap", or "Cape" on the SAilors jumper. It's the collar. Look at the "1812" Sailor on the left with the radio hanging at his side. See how his shirt collar is laying. Now, what happened over the years is that the collar just kept getting longer until it gets to the modern length (adopted in 1859). So, its really just a really big collar. It had nothing to do with keeping tar off Sailors shirts. Maybe in the Royal Navy, or merchant service, but not in the US Navy. The 1820 regs set grooming standards for enlisted Sailors, and hair length has not changed more than a inch either way since. So, all those "tarred pig tails" are pure fantasy. I do like how they have the sleeves rolled and the neckerchiefs loose. That is correct. The trousers shoule be looser though. Yeah, love the hats. I also love the young Sailor at the Quarter Deck podium with her proper military bearing and all. Truth be told, that was my normal stance on that watch too. Nice to see some things never change :thumbsup: