Todays Find!!

History Man

History Man

Found this while out at the flea market today for a great price. This is the bag, the mask, and a small cylinder strapped into the inside of the pack.Seems to be near complete or complete. It is in good shape showing wear in many places. Let me know what you think.

Philip

**Forgot to get pics of it but the gas mask is marked US on he upper front portion with a "U" underneath of the "US" mark.**

post-25965-1340478072.jpg

post-25965-1340478079.jpg

post-25965-1340478088.jpg

post-25965-1340478100.jpg

Find of a lifetime! Never let that one go, still need one for my DDay collection, I'm jealous!

Leonardo

History Man

Thanks for the comments, I was very suprised to find something like this there. I rubbed it lightly with a wet paper towel and it came out well. Over the past few months I find myself finding more WW2 and earlier gear.

Philip

manayunkman

Philip we can all learn from you. I do not know anyone else in this hobby who has such focus and such determination at your age.

You are prepared, you show up and things land in your lap. There is no doubt that as the years pass you will be a leader in the collecting community.

Now lets see that new A2

Nice find Philip! I got mine way back in the early 90s...and even back then they were considered to be quite scarce! (the 50th anniversary of D-Day was fast approaching so everybody was hunting down D-Day accessories like assault gas masks and USN lifebelts etc!) Of course, these days repro rubberised bags are available, but they have no contents...also they are rather flimsy and look very smooth, black and shiny, as I suppose originals looked when issued? A word of advice...when you open the bag in future, if one of the snaps is a little stiff don't pull at it or it might rip out of the canvas. Instead, carefully slip a thin blade between the two halves of the offending snap and gently lever them apart. Also, if you take a cotton wall ball and lightly moisten it with a little Vaseline (or a similar product) and gently rub it in a circular motion over the surface of the bag, it'll help restore its colour and keep it supple....but do it very sparingly as you don't want it to become too greasy!! ;)

• 3 weeks later...