OD Vietnam Boonie sold for $290

Constabulary

That is steep, I got one, a 6 7/8 for 18 bucks, unissed, same date, same Metz of Califorina maker, size is big but 290 bucks I guess the buyer is in Germany ? any way maybe if it was an unissed 1967 first pattern non rip stop poplin maybe it would be pricey, but that amount for the non rip stop I think might not even be that high.

That's the second auction that I have seen bidding like this for these hats....something doesn't look right to me.....just saying. Look at this action that ended, #130710811862....same 2 bidders, same winner, same bidding action.

bravo_2_zero
You mean I've got a fortune sitting on my shelves?! :o

Yep me too, same one, same size with mozzy net too for $10 ?

WOW :blink: look at this auction. I know they are hard to find in bigger sizes - but $290?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=110897318502

Seems this was a fight 2 bidders.

Congrats to the seller! :thumbsup:

I have two in 7 7/8 and even with mosquito net - I thinks I should sell them asap :w00t:

I have had the fortune of having a boonie hat acquired from the family with the story which went to Hawaii. The price was 3 figures. The family still has his clothing which he wore on patrol when he was KIA. I only the family keeps all his other things together.

That is steep, I got one, a 6 7/8 for 18 bucks....

Those are, as they say, a dime a dozen, but a size 7-5/8 is very rare: generally the largest hat size you can find is 7-1/2 and even that is very hard to find in military headgear. Bigger is also better on clothing: you can easily pay hundreds more for something like a size 46 WWII field jacket compared to the common size 38-42 models. Now, based on one comment, there may be something going on with this particular sale, but it would not surprise me at all if it's legitimate.

Constabulary
Those are, as they say, a dime a dozen, but a size 7-5/8 is very rare: generally the largest hat size you can find is 7-1/2 and even that is very hard to find in military headgear. Bigger is also better on clothing: you can easily pay hundreds more for something like a size 46 WWII field jacket compared to the common size 38-42 models. Now, based on one comment, there may be something going on with this particular sale, but it would not surprise me at all if it's legitimate.

I have two in size 7 7/8, one is still in its original bag (have to dig it out) here are some pics of the other one.

post-5069-1340903321.jpg

post-5069-1340903329.jpg

I'm surprised that a really big hat size would make it more valuable. That does not make any sense to me. The really small and really large sizes just don't get issued as often as the more normal sizes so I think you see more of these odd sizes in unused condition. I wish they would all sell for that...I have quite a few.

I'm surprised that a really big hat size would make it more valuable. That does not make any sense to me. The really small and really large sizes just don't get issued as often as the more normal sizes so I think you see more of these odd sizes in unused condition. I wish they would all sell for that...I have quite a few.

Your right there, I seen a bin/cage in the basement of the old Trader Surplus store on Canal Street in NYC, this bin was filled with the oddest size Russet Brown WWII ankle boots, both with the top cap and without, all unissued, the sizes where like small Bananna boots, all like 11 though 13 narrows, like AA and AAAs I was only able to find one really decent normal pair a 10 something or other ( dont have them anymore) possibily Bs.

craig_pickrall

In 1967 the smallest cap size in stock was 6 3/8 and the largest was 7 7/8.

Constabulary

It´s quite hard to find certain items from these days in bigger sizes. The todays people wear larger sizes than back in the 1940´s and 1960´s. Therefore these odd big sizes are interesting nowadays. If you are a big guy and the closer the size is to what you wear regularly the more it will cost (most of the times).

Here is the current sizes for the modern ACH helmets

Table 1. Head/Shell Sizes

Small Helmet Shell

Up to 7 ¼ inches

Medium Helmet Shell

From 7 ¼ to 7 ¾ inches

Large Helmet Shell

From 7 ¾ to 8 ¼ inches

Extra-Large Helmet Shell

From 8 ¼ inches

I have a 46 long M-43 !!!

owen

O

That trumps my 44 reg M42 Jump Jacket. ;)

I do have a M43 in a 50 or larger.Guy was a A Col in the 34th divisionn.