Visit to National Museum of the Marine Corps

USMCRECON

Hilary in the mock-up of the Ch-46 helo landing on a combat base on the DMZ. Cameron is in the backgroiund. This area is actually heated a bit to give a feel for the opressive heat of Nam.

post-1107-1340496154.jpg

A couple more pics of John Ripley's tiger stripes from 1972 when he was the advisor to a South Vietnamese Marine battalion.

post-1107-1340496505.jpg

The rest are miscellenous diisplays in various areas around the museum. This one is Recon Marines being extracted on a late model Stabo rig. The one we used very late in my tour was nothing more than a nylon rope with handholds tied in it at about 8-10 foot intervals.

post-1107-1340496725.jpg

Another display on the sceond deck near on the way to the cafeteria and Tun Tavern. This one is of the magnificent Stoner weapon system we field tested in Vietnam in 1967.....the Stoners are on the right. Since Stoner also designed the AR-15/M-16, a couple examples of them are also included along whith the aircrew survival rifle he also designed.

Our versions of the Stoner didn't have wood furniture but otherwise they were identical to the ones displayed here.

post-1107-1340497171.jpg

I'd heard the displays were top quality, and this confirms it.

My father worked on F4U's at the depot at Cherry Point during the Korean War. I'd go just to see that and the helo if nothing else.

Thanks for sharing.

This has been moved to our Museum Forum.

On the combat base.

post-1107-1340496358.jpg

Thasnk you all for the kind comments. I love visiting this museum and am lucky enough to live close enough to do so often.

and thank you, Gil, for moving the thread in the proper section. I guess I just overlooked the Museums section when I was looking for a place to put the pictures.

As an aside....while we were on the Vietnam combat base display. my grandson looked at the 105mm Howitzer and asked me if I'd ever seen one in Vietnam. I pulled out my iPhone and showed him the picture below and asked him; "Do you mean like this one?" ;)

We were sent to one of the grunt's combat base to run a recon patrol and, they billeted us near this artillery battery.

post-1107-1340539115.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Thx for the update Bill, good to see they are keeping the displays fresh and rotated. Semper Fi...!

Thanks for the additional comments. It's a really well-done museum and continues to expand. I'd recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in the Corps.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're you in recon in Vietnam nam? If so, did you know Steve srsen? A friend of mine from high school. Killed in january 67. Navy cross should have been moh. Do you have any stories if you knew him?

• 2 weeks later...