Visit to National Museum of the Marine Corps

USMCRECON

On 22 June 2012,I visited the Marine Corps Museum with my wife and grandson and took the following pictures. It was very difficulty to photograph many of the exhibits as they were behind thick Plexiglas but I did the best I could. Hope these don't bore you to rears.

Here's the entryway. There are some memorials and statuary on walking paths around the outside, including the 1st Recon Memorial, but it was 99 degrees outside and just too hot to hike around today.

post-1107-1340404422.jpg

The next couple were shot from various aspects in the lobby area. Here's my gransdson by the Tarawa exhibit in the lobby.

post-1107-1340404520.jpg

Another sectiuon of the lobby. they were holding a retirement ceremony there so I didn't take a lot of photos of the lobby.

post-1107-1340405040.jpg

Here's one of the aircraft suspended from the lobby cieling; an F4U-4 Corsair. This was taken from the second deck.

post-1107-1340405155.jpg

This is a model of what Tun Tavern (is believed to have ) looked like at the time of the birth of the Marine Corps. This is in a case on the upper deck near the cafeteria and the modern Tun Tavern.

post-1107-1340405278.jpg

Weapons from the early years of the Corps. Several new sections have been opened since my last visit and this one on 1775 - 1865 is one of them.

post-1107-1340405553.jpg

Major Henry tyler, a former US Marine from Virginia who resigned his commission and was commissioned in the Confederate States Marine Corps.

post-1107-1340406211.jpg

Spanish-American War era uniforms. this one also is not very good as I could not get the camera to focus on the uniforms rather than the glass case.

post-1107-1340406372.jpg

Belleau Wood display. The picture of the wheat field in the background is actually a video display. Periodically, it runs a made for the museum video representation of the Marine charge across the field into the woods. It's an amazingly realistic piece of video work.

post-1107-1340406938.jpg