Anti-Aircraft Constabulary Veteran

GoldenCross

GoldenCross

I work part time at a retirement home as a maintenance worker, and I've been lucky enough to have the chance to speak with a few veterans who live there.

Over the past year, I have become good friends with a man who was in occupied Germany in a Constabulary unit after WWII ended. He was drafted immediately after high school in 1945, just in time to miss all the action in Europe. (Thankfully).

I sat with him for about 45 minutes today in his apartment and he told me stories of his training in El Paso, TX and being stationed in Schweinfurt, Germany.

I've been bringing in some of my militaria to talk about with him every now and then. He really enjoys seeing what I have to show him. I've brought in an M1 Helmet, canteen set, first aid pouch with carlisle bandage.. and other small things.

We shared some laughs, including a story of how he and a buddy hit a German woman riding a bike with their jeep on accident, and how they tried to cover up the story to their Lieutenant. :lol2: (She was okay, just a minor scrape on her head)

He doesn't have any of his gear left other than some small things that he's had trouble locating. He showed me his occupation medal today, which was really neat to see!

Before I met him, I had never heard of the Constabulary, so I'm really glad to have had a living history lesson! I'm hoping to get the chance to meet with him some more and get a photo with him or some other memory of our friendship.