WWII USN Sterling Silver VPB-204 Squadron Patch

KASTAUFFER

I recently bought an WWII Aviator Flight Log to a Patrol Bombing Squadron 204 Aviation Ordnanceman. In the group was this pin. It almost reminds me of the quality of the AVG Flying Tiger pins .

This one is 1.5 inches long, is VERY thick and is enameled sterling silver made by Dieges & Clust. It must have been presented to his wife by him.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Anyone know the story behind this pin?

MVC_024L.JPG

MVC_025L.JPG

MVC_026L.JPG

The official insignia.

204.jpg

Squadron Insignia and Nickname

The only insignia approved for the squadron was authorized by CNO on 21 October 1943. The central figure of the design was an Indian, chosen by the

squadron to represent the ability to stalk and kill his prey. The Indian in the design was peering over cumulus clouds used for cover while searching for the

enemy; the dark blue background was symbolic of the night, when most squadron operations were conducted; the lantern in the Indian’s right hand represented

the flares used to illuminate targets; in the Indian’s left hand was the squadron’s primary weapon, the depth bomb used against submarines. On the

Indian’s headband was the Morse code representation of V for victory. Colors: background, royal blue; Indian outline and features, black; face highlights, yellow

and brown; eyes, white; lantern, brown rim with yellow light; candle, gray brown; base of bomb, red;tip of feather and ribbon on pigtail, red; headband, white with red and blue outlines.

Johnny Signor
Squadron Insignia and Nickname

The only insignia approved for the squadron was authorized by CNO on 21 October 1943. The central figure of the design was an Indian, chosen by the

squadron to represent the ability to stalk and kill his prey. The Indian in the design was peering over cumulus clouds used for cover while searching for the

enemy; the dark blue background was symbolic of the night, when most squadron operations were conducted; the lantern in the Indian's right hand represented

the flares used to illuminate targets; in the Indian's left hand was the squadron's primary weapon, the depth bomb used against submarines. On the

Indian's headband was the Morse code representation of V for victory. Colors: background, royal blue; Indian outline and features, black; face highlights, yellow

and brown; eyes, white; lantern, brown rim with yellow light; candle, gray brown; base of bomb, red;tip of feather and ribbon on pigtail, red; headband, white with red and blue outlines.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it may also have been a "Disney" design .............................................

A very interesting find for sure and I would also say rare to boot being made of Sterling !

• 4 years later...
Johnny Signor

It could have been a One off" sweet heart made pin that someone had the time and $ to have made ........

KASTAUFFER

It could have been a One off" sweet heart made pin that someone had the time and $ to have made ........

I did find a website run by a vet from VPB-204 and he pictured one of these pins. He never did give the back story.

Kurt