Can someone explain this one, Airborne 2nd Air Force?

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

John-Thanks.

Like they say, "never say never", or a photo is worth 1,000 words.....

Very interesting; this predates my guy but now I'm a little more curious as to what sort of airborne unit would fall under an AAF command. This is not something I have ever paid close attention to but I always thought airborne units had to be of a certain size/composition to have a tab. Not being argumenntative, just curious.

Memory fails but several years ago somebody came up with a similar setup and pretty much proved it wa an airforce group inolved in moving supplies and really had nothing to do with actual jumping by anybody.

Memory fails but several years ago somebody came up with a similar setup and pretty much proved it wa an airforce group inolved in moving supplies and really had nothing to do with actual jumping by anybody.

I see, such as a C~47 crew that flies the day~to~day tactical airlift mission {beans & bullets} vs the crew that would specialize in airdrops and aerial resupply. What you're saying is that the "airborne" tab above the numbered air force insignia is to distinguish the two types. It's still that way, or at least it was when I was in a short lifetime ago. I found out on a jump mission that I could not just grab any old C~141 crew to do airdrop though my own simplistic view was that I would get them over the target all they had to do was close the doors after the team had left.

I'm sure we'll hear more.

True...These guys were Airborne not in the sense of Parachuting but in the way they were delievered by Air-Airplane to the area of operation(s)

I will have to look at mine when I unpack it as I dont recall if he was wearing engineer brass or Air Corps.Im thinking Engineer.

Have I seen a 9th AF with airborne tab, or just a brain fart?

yes you may have I pulled this pic for ref. E bay most likly.

post-1604-1340506837.jpg

Ninth AF also wore a black and gold tab.This was seen worn by the Troop Carrier pilots and crews prior to the Troop Carrier Command patch we see

Seems I recall seeing a red/white tab over the IX Engineer Command once.Any one else see this before??

I was able to see this patch today, and I can tell each of you that it is for real! It is in a Riker mount, and without physically disturbing the patch, I was able to perform tests to actually verify that it was there. In all the years that I've collected and studied patches, I've come up with some tried and true techniques to determine if a patch is actually a patch.

First I did the absence of light test.....it passed, then I did the presentence of light test, once again the patch showed it true colors. Finally I did the fiber analysis, I was once again I was able to determine that the fibers matched.

Bob has a winner here! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

The IX airborne engineer aviation battalions (876th, 877th, 878th) wore the air corps patch with the red and white tab like in the photo above.

The other patch they wore with the tab - the IX aviation engineer - had it's origin in the 9th air force, which is why the combination of the 9th and red and white tab were probably legit too.

I agree that there is always a possibility that there were other combinations of air force and airborne tabs worn besides those already shown or mentioned.