Women Kicking Butts

cutiger83

post-52851-0-19692700-1509735480_thumb.jpg

My personal favorite woman in uniform - my Mother-in-Law, 1LT Cleo Pressnell Frisbie. Served as a nurse in the 107th EVAC Hospital, ETO. Landing at Omaha Beach Jul 1944, they "toured" France, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany treating 25,000 patients and earning 5 campaign stars. They even liberated a small town in France when they made a wrong turn and got ahead of the infantry they were supposed to be following!

They ended the war in Wurzburg, Germany taking over a German Army hospital where this pic was taken. She was from Virginia.

Frank

Another one from FlyGirls on Facebook:

Lt. Col. Tamara Barlette, USAF:

"There I was....an A-10 jet pilot stationed at Osan AB, South Korea. I was tasked to take a jet down to our maintenance depot in Busan, about 200 miles south of Seoul, and return via train that same day. I flew my A-10 uneventfully across the Korean peninsula and landed as expected. Once I taxied to the designated parking area, I was greeted by the local Korean ground crew. While I was still in the jet, preparing to shut it down, the ground crew plugged into my communication system and spoke to me, following standard procedure. Throughout the conversation, I was continually referred to as “sir.” Realizing their mistake, I tried to raise my voice a little higher to clue them in that I was female. Once all the systems were properly shut down it was time to take my helmet off. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they realized it was a woman behind the controls of such a large, lethal fighter jet."

Tamara Barlette.png

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was wondering what the guys were thinking about, the M2 Browning or the cute female instructor (USMC Female instructor 1944).

post-105780-0-14784000-1515018398_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I've posted this elsewhere before, but it is one of my all time favorite photos.

This is a female Ordnance technician testing live mortar rounds at I believe Aberdeen Proving Grounds during WWII.

A job like this has some danger to it. Mortar rounds do not always fly the way they are supposed to.

Woman testing mortar.jpg

Sergeant Julia Bringloe hung beneath a helicopter on a hoist numerous times rescuing wounded Americans. She served as a flight medic with a crew responsible for medical evacuations in Afghanistan. Over a 3 day period in 2011, Bringloe was lowered again and again into enemy fire over treacherous mountain terrain. On the first day, she dropped 150 feet to a roof top and put a wounded soldier in a litter to be hoisted up. As the helicopter pulled them skyward, they veered toward a tree. Bringloe slammed into the tree, causing a small fracture in her leg. She ignored this to continue her mission. On another occasion, Bringloe's chopper flew into an area to rescue 3 wounded soldiers immediately after another Dustoff was shot out and had to make an emergency landing back at base. Bringloe braved the enemy fire dangling beneath the chopper to boost all 3 casualties to safety. One of the soldiers was shot in the face and survived as a direct result of Bringloe's rescue and medical attention. For her dedication to her mission and heroic actions, Bringloe was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Bringloe.jpg

This thread is about individual women who served and made their contribution to our country's defense.

Let's keep the discussion focused on that.