Women Kicking Butts

cutiger83

Bluehawk,

This is very exciting to me too! I LOVE to read books about women in the military. It is really an eye opener.

I appreciate it even more when men such as you are interested. It does tend to be (but not always) men who have daughters. ;)

This is something interesting I found about women in WWI:

The U.S. Army recruited and trained 233 female bilingual telephone operators to work at switchboards near the front in France and sent 50 skilled female stenographers to France to work with the Quartermaster Corps. The Signal Corps women traveled and lived under Army orders from the date of their acceptance until their termination from service. Their travel orders and per diem allowance orders read “same as Army nurses in Army regulations.” They were required to purchase uniforms designed by the Army, with Army insignia and buttons. When the war ended and the telephone operators were no longer needed, the Army unceremoniously hustled the women home and refused to grant them official discharges, claiming that they had never officially been “in” the service. The women believed differently, however, and for years pressured Congress to recognize their services. Finally, after considerable Congressional debate, the Signal Corps telephone operators of World War I were granted military status in 1979, years after the majority of them had passed away.

Johnny Signor
Women can do anything they want. I was in the National Guard when they started recruiting women. Other than the strength to put the cable reels back on the truck they could do the job, and many guys had a hard time to help lift a cable reels up to the tailgate of a deuce and a half. I was in shape then and could do it by myself so it was nice to have a female repair person working with me, she knew her stuff and got a better civilian electronics job than I had.

Yes < I heartily agree and did NOT intend otherwise, WOMEN ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about Martha Jane Canary aka "Calamity Jane"...frontierswoman, scout and Indian fighter. (She looks nothing like Doris Day!) ;)

post-8022-1340387542.jpeg

I appreciate it even more when men such as you are interested. It does tend to be (but not always) men who have daughters. ;)

Not to mention, I now have FOUR grand daughters :blink: I, am in serious serious trouble :lol:

Source:

Wordpress.images

post-3976-1340401454.jpeg

How about Martha Jane Canary aka "Calamity Jane"...frontierswoman, scout and Indian fighter. (She looks nothing like Doris Day!) ;)

post-8022-1340387542.jpeg

A fine militia member, no doubt!

One of ours. Boudicca...the feisty warrior queen of the Iceni who gave the Romans a hard time around 60 AD!

post-8022-1340401690.jpg

Our heroines from the Spanish American war:

"Ellen May Tower of Byron, Michigan was the first U.S. Army nurse to die on foreign soil, of typhoid fever, in Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American War, and was the first woman to receive a military funeral in Michigan.

Twenty two women died as a result of service in the Spanish American War:

Bailey, Lurecia - Army Contract Nurse - Died from Typhoid Fever

Bradford, T.R. - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever - African American

Burke, Mary - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever - Nun

Cameron, Emma - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Campos, Anna - Army Contract Nurse - Died from Typhoid Fever

Dorothy Cochrane - Army Conttract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Flanagan, Elizabeth - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever - Nun

Greenfield, Margaret - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Larkin, Anne - Army Contract Nurse - Died from Typhoid Fever - Nun

Plant, Lulu - Army Contract Nurse - Undiagnosed

Roberts, Alcice - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Stansberry, Katherine - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Sweeney, Mary - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever - Nun

Toland, Irene - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Tower, Ellen - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Trioche, Margaret - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Turnbull, Minerva - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever - African American

Walworth, Ruebena - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Ward, Clara - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever

Wolfe, Carolina - Army Contract Nurse - Died From Typhoid Fever - Nun

Phinney, Dorthea - Volunteer - Died From Malaria

Source Material graciously provided by WIMSA - The above names came from Record Group 112, National Archives, 2nd Report, NSDAR, p. 87; 3rd Report, NSDAR, p. 50 ; Record Group 112, "Order of Spanish American War Nurses," Trained Nurse and Hospital Review, Vol. 23, p. 81 and ps. 208-210; same peridocal, Vol. 24, p. 423; Vol 25, p. 447; Record Group 112, "The Village of Byron and It's Heroine, Ellen May Tower," by Kathryn Seward.

Spanish American War Nurse Clara Maass, died as a result of yellow fever. Army Contract Nurse Maass volunteered to participate in an experimental treatment program, after having survived the war."

A U.S. postage stamp was issued in 1976 in honor of Clara Maass."

Source:

http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/lives.html

post-3976-1340452132.gif

And, I bring for your viewing enjoyment, formation DUDETTE 07 !

by: Tech. Sgt. Michael Voss

455th Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs

"3/31/2011 - BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan (AFNS) -- A team of female Airmen made history here March 30 when the F-15E Strike Eagles of "Dudette 07" blazed down the runway to provide close air support for coalition and Afghan ground forces.

The two-ship formation consisted of all females, two pilots and two weapons system officers, but more importantly, it marked the first combat mission flown from Bagram to be planned, maintained and flown entirely by females.

This mission represents the first combat sortie on record to involve only female Airmen from the pilots and weapons officers to the mission planners and maintainers, said Lt. Col. Kenneth Tilley, the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing historian.

Although the call sign for the mission may have been lighthearted, the sortie was all business calling for the pilots to travel to the Kunar Valley just west of the Pakistan border in support of a large Army operation that was underway.

"I have flown with female pilots before, but this was the first time I have flown in an all female flight," said Maj. Christine Mau, a 455th AEW executive officer. "This wasn't a possibility when I started flying 11-years ago."

While planning of the mission required support from women at all levels such as Capt. Kristen Wehle, the F-15 liaison officer at the combined air operations center, those involved evoked memories of legendary Women's Army Corps pilots and others for inspiration.

"Women's history means a celebration of the equality we have today in the military," said Capt. Jennifer Morton, a 389th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron weapons officer. "It makes me think back and find inspiration from heroes like Col. Jeannie Flynn."

In 1993, then 2nd Lt. Jeannie Flynn became the first female F-15E pilot. Although the Air Force permitted female pilots to enter pilot training in 1976, Lieutenant Flynn went on to become the first female fighter pilot to graduate from the U.S. Air Force Weapons School.

"Since 1993 we have had Air Force female pilots in combat positions, and because of that today I feel as a woman I can have whatever job I want," Morton said.

While Dudette 07 was set up to as an all female mission in honor of Women's History Month, Major Mau said inspiration for today's Airmen aspiring to great heights can come from many different places.

"I think I get a great deal of inspiration from my grandmother (who was a mother seven kids), but many of my role models today are males," she said.

In addition, the pilots never forget the contributions of the maintainers on the ground, maintainers like Airmen 1st Class Casiana Curry, who enlisted Sept. 11, 2009, and enables the continued support of the warfighters on the ground.

"The four women officers represents only a portion of the women who supported this mission making it the first all female from tasking to completion combat sortie to date," said Capt. Leigh Larkin, 389th EFS weapons systems officer.

"I thought it was kind of cool and something that I have never seen before," said Staff Sgt. Tamara Rhone, a 455th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron crew chief. "The women throughout time have paved the way for us today and they made it possible for us to be equal as well as respected as individuals. Females are a rare breed on the flight line. It is my hope that more females step up and join the maintenance career field."

post-3976-1340462739.jpg

Here is some more interesting info about the WAC's serving in WWII. I thought it was interesting that some Generals were proposing the draft include women.

"While most women served stateside, some went to various places around the World. For example, WACs landed on Normandy Beach just a few weeks after the initial invasion. The 1st WAC Separate Battalion arrived in England, part of the European Theater of Operations, in July 1943 led by Lt. Col. Mary A. Hallaren. In the fall and early winter of 1943, WAC units were sent into other theaters around the world. The women of the Corps went where they were needed – to Oro Bay, to Holland, to Casablanca, to Chunking, and to Manila.

General Douglas MacArthur called the WACs "my best soldiers", adding that they worked harder, complained less, and were better disciplined than men. Many generals wanted more of them and proposed to draft women but it was realized that this "would provoke considerable public outcry and Congressional opposition" and the War Department declined to take such a drastic step."

Here is some interesting info about the Korean War. Individual WAC's served in Seoul and Pusan.

"During the Korean War, women serving in Korea numbered 120,000.Although a WAC Unit was not established in Korea, individual WACs served in Korea on special assignments. The Korean Women’s Army Corps formed in 1950 around a group of policewomen trained by a former WAC, Alice A. Parrish. In 1952, a number of individual WAC officers and enlisted women filled key administrative positions in Pusan and later in Seoul."

And more interesting info about the WAC's in the Vietnam War:

"The first WAC officer was assigned to Vietnam in March 1962. It was not until 1965 that the use of WAC personnel in support elements was considered feasible for Vietnam. It was decided that WACs could make positive contributions, particularly in clerical, secretarial and administrative military occupational specialties (MOSs). A WAC detachment of enlisted women was assigned to Headquarters, USARV, first at Ton Son Nhut Airbase in 1966, and then at the headquarters in Long Binh, from 1967 to October 1972.

WACs continued to serve in Vietnam until the withdrawal of troops in 1973. Few problems arose during the seven years that WACs served in Vietnam although they did receive scrapes and bruises diving for cover from incoming artillery fire since the ammunition depot at Long Binh was a frequent enemy target."

Women in the military slideshow.

I just tried to look at this but it says it is blocked in this country. What is up with that? :think:

I just tried to look at this but it says it is blocked in this country. What is up with that? :think:

No kidding Kat? It's just a collection of pics of modern US servicewomen in various roles and uniforms. :think:

Rakkasan187

When I was stationed at Fort Campbell with the 101st, our mode of transport was either UH-60 blackhawk or CH-47 Chinook helicopters. Our unit/command had a good relationship with the 158th and 159th Aviation units that were responsible for airlifting us or conducting our air assualt missions. As a chalk leader for my lift, I was responsible for meeting and talking with the pilots that would be carrying my team and we built a great realtionship. We would plan/rehearse who was getting on the aircraft and in what order, what seats they would sit in ect. We practiced this day and night so we could do it with our eyes closed. We first used mock up aircraft on the ground, then we rehearsed with actual aircraft.

During one of our pilot meet and greets with us grunts, the aviation commander announced that he had several new pilots to replace those who were going on to other assignments.

My chalk was one of the few to get a new pilot, and she was a Warrant Officer 2. I beleive her name was Richardson, and she was one of the best pilots that I ever worked with. She even got permission from her commander to get flight time and she would pick up my chalk and we would rehearse landings and pick ups at the PZ's.

During the planning phases of our air assualts we would get with our pilots and they would tell us the lift order, or what number in line there helicopter would be, so we could ensure we were on the aircraft with our pilots.

Not sure what ever happend to CW2 Richardson, but again she was a great pilot and a great woman..

Leigh..

Not sure what ever happend to CW2 Richardson, but again she was a great pilot and a great woman..

Leigh..

Leigh,

Thanks for a great story! :thumbsup:

...Kat

G I Jane, one of my all-time favorite fictional blood gore and guts films - a compelling plausible story even if not technically true.

post-3976-1340748907.jpeg

craig_pickrall

What are you saying??? You mean this isn't a true story. Next you will ruin Santa and the Easter Bunny for me.