30th Infantry Grouping

wildcat123

I picked up this grouping a few weeks back from Bay State Militaria (another great transaction). It is a suitcase grouping from a member of Co F, 102nd Infantry, 30th ID. The soldier's name is Franklin L Sibley (ASN 31188300) from Orange, MA. The group came with uniform, scrapbook (including Ike D-day letter), and numerous clothing items. Mr. Sibley was wounded 3 times during fighting in France. I found him in NARA and need to send off to St Louis to see if I can get more information. Let me know if anyone can find anything more on him. Enjoy the picks, let me know what you think.

post-1095-1200953351.jpg

post-1095-1200953359.jpg

post-1095-1200953377.jpg

post-1095-1200953402.jpg

I saw this one also and was too slow to act. Nice grouping! You really have to act fast on Bay State. Glad it went to a fellow member.

Troy

Here are some details on him. Kind of interesting that the "source of army personnel" indicates National Guard even though his serial number would indicate he was drafted. Maybe someone checked the wrong box. Perhaps someone on the forum with more experience can answer this or correct me if I am not reading this right. Although if you already found him in NARA this may not be news to you.

And nice group too!

DOB: Aug 1, 1911

DOD: Oct 1977

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 31188300

NAME SIBLEY#FRANKLIN#L####### SIBLEY

RESIDENCE: MASSACHUSETTS

RESIDENCE: COUNTY FRANKLIN

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT FT DEVENS MASSACHUSETTS

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 10

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 11

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 42

GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private

GRADE: Private

BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION B## Undefined Code

BRANCH: CODE 00 Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA

FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #

TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

LONGEVITY ### ###

SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 4 National Guard in Federal Service, after 3 months of Discharge

NATIVITY 13 MASSACHUSETTS

YEAR OF BIRTH 11

RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen

EDUCATION 1 1 year of high school

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION Semiskilled machine shop and related occupations, n.e.c.

MARITAL STATUS Single, without dependents

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY Selectees (Enlisted Men)

CARD NUMBER # #

BOX NUMBER 0406 0406

FILM REEL NUMBER 3.127 3.127

Company F, 2nd Battallion, 120th Infantry Regiment. It was this battallion that was isolated on Hill 314 for over five days during the German counterattack in Normandy near Mortain. Sgt Sibley was first wounded during this action (August 9, 1944).

Company F, 2nd Battallion, 120th Infantry Regiment. It was this battallion that was isolated on Hill 314 for over five days during the German counterattack in Normandy near Mortain. Sgt Sibley was first wounded during this action (August 9, 1944).

The reason I asked was that in your first post on the topic you had typed 102nd Infantry Regiment :)

The reason I asked was that in your first post on the topic you had typed 102nd Infantry Regiment :)

Oops, I can't type!! Thanks for catching that. thumbsup.gif

Complete jacket, scrapbook, souveniers, ike letter!!! Beautiful. These are the superb groupings that get destroyed on ebay!