WWII Silver Life Saving Medal

Javelin4life

Javelin4life

Hey everyone,

I was browsing ebay, and I came across this Silver Lifesaving Medal...I know that it's definitely one of the rarer medals out there, and from what I can tell from the pictures, is in excellent shape...I don't know if anyone is currently looking for one to add to their collection, but as a college student with very limited spending funds I unfortunately have to pass on this beautiful specimen...I know that this thread is useless without pictures, so hopefully a more tech-savvy member will help with posting the pics in the auction...Hopefully a forum member ends up with it :)

Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330751273805?ssPag...984.m1438.l2649

Unknown Soldier
Hey everyone,

I was browsing ebay, and I came across this Silver Lifesaving Medal...I know that it's definitely one of the rarer medals out there, and from what I can tell from the pictures, is in excellent shape...I don't know if anyone is currently looking for one to add to their collection, but as a college student with very limited spending funds I unfortunately have to pass on this beautiful specimen...I know that this thread is useless without pictures, so hopefully a more tech-savvy member will help with posting the pics in the auction...Hopefully a forum member ends up with it :)

Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330751273805?ssPag...984.m1438.l2649

Several potential buyers will be very happy with you ....

That's the latest award of the old larger style LS Medal I have seen. Has a "frostier" finish than earlier examples I have seen.

Really nice medal. Good luck on that one, Robin!

Javelin4life

Robin and Mike, I hope one of you ends up with it...It's a gorgeous medal that would make an excellent addition to either of your collections

IMO the case is what sets this apart, it is a hard find in and of itself, so it "makes" the set. A nice BB&B LP would top it off. I think the condition of the case is pretty good considering the age of the medal. You might find them with the hinges detached of more of the exterior worn or off. AND the late date of the award shy of the transition makes it more interesting and unique. If I magically found a few grand laying around the house I'd jump in. The research will most certainly prove interesting

canadian bacon
Good luck now that EVERYONE knows about it :think:

and best of luck to you as it sounds like you were hoping to slip in on this one without anyone knowing

cheers michael

Unknown Soldier
and best of luck to you as it sounds like you were hoping to slip in on this one without anyone knowing

cheers michael

Not really. Its not something I have a desire to collect.

My interest is elsewhere. However, I've seen e-bay advertising turn into this type of thing before.

Maybe it would have still taken off like its doing now, maybe not.

Oh well ...

Looks like a few of those bidders need to take some e-bay 101 bidding lessons.

Its not the person with the most bids that wins, its the person with the highest bid. Seems like a few haven't caught on yet.

But that's them.

Just noticed the bidding is getting active. Bidder 1***o is someone I've done head to head with before.

If he stays in, this will get expensive. :rolleyes:

I agree wit Robin, wile these are not impossible to come across, they I feel they remain scarce enough to generate a higher hammer price., I have seen them from 3K to 7K at various shows over the past couple years. That said, as with all high end items, it is worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I would submit that this sale will change the baseline reference point for this medal going forward, and possibly rightly so, the market eventually rights itself regardless of the commodity. I believe someone will pay around 5K or more for this because they want it enough to pay a premium. I don't think it is more scarce than a Dewey in a case but the deeds and mystique surrounding the lifesaving medals lends itself to command more because I don't think you can compare the two....different kinds of scarce in my opinion...either way it will be a great pick up and a fine higher end piece for the winner.

History Man

It is approaching $4K. A very nice and uncommon medal, definitely going to get up there in price.

Philip

Okay boys, we're getting down to the wire on this.

Is there anyone on the board that wants this medal besides me ?

I am asking for this simple reason......THERE IS NO REASON TO BID THE PRICE HIGHER FOR THE SELLER!!!

Send me a PM and I'll back off! If not, I'm going for it.

Okay boys, we're getting down to the wire on this.

Is there anyone on the board that wants this medal besides me ?

I am asking for this simple reason......THERE IS NO REASON TO BID THE PRICE HIGHER FOR THE SELLER!!!

Send me a PM and I'll back off! If not, I'm going for it.

I'm going to give this a bump a few times this morning in order that members might see it.

If this causes a moderated distress, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

That is a really nice medal. JS are you still the high bidder? I have no dog in this hunt but wish the best of luck as it appears you want it to fill a hole ...

CC

With the help of FS, some information about the recipient of the medal has been found, and more will be coming to light. :thumbsup:

The seller has informed me that the family has more items for him. He will forward them along at no charge, that's refreshing!!! :thumbsup: