"Memorial Day" movie

willysmb44

A pal of mine worked on this raved about it, so I bought the DVD at Wal mart yesterday when I saw it there for ten bucks.

It's not the best war movie I've ever seen but it's not all that bad. It goes back and forth between a WW2 vet during the 40s and his grandson in the sandbox in modern time. The modern sequences were done with the national guard so they got a lot of that stuff correct. The WW2 stuff isn't that bad, but you can see limited resources on vehicles (and a church set that is clearly "middle america", not "somewhere in Europe").

Not too bad.

I found a link to a story on the filming here (disregard the photo of them carrying a dummy wearing ACUs, I never saw that in the WW2 scenes).

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen only about half of it so far. Had to get going (to be continued)...

Not bad. I thought the uniforms and gear in the WW2 scenes looked too clean and new. The grown up kid really does look like the kid kid.

Can't wait to finish the movie.

Yeah...I tend to focus more on the story rather than the details...which is not to say they are unimportant. I thought the premise and the portrayal was well done, especially considering the obviously limited budget the makers had in producing this film.

It is a difficult story to convey properly in dealing with the life-long realities of serving in combat. Hollywood's record on this is abysmal at best. We get portrayed as being homicidal/suicidal killers bent on destroying all that surrounds us. Memorial Day dealt more with real-world and the sorrows and hurts that we carry.

I thought the movie was excellent and one that I'd watch again.

• 3 weeks later...
strayduck230

I just watched it and really enjoyed the film. There are always the critiques and such, but very well done considering a low budget. One thing is that I always get bothered by the use of inappropriate vehicles. Such as m-series and CJ jeeps in WW2 movies.

I was really happy to see this not happen in this film... in fact, if anyone else noticed, for the Battle of the Bulge scenes they had the Ford GP (Ford prototype jeep). Interesting to see that in the film as that is a harder jeep to get a hold of than a "normal" MB or GPW.

Great flick! :thumbsup: