Request for Berets - Vietnam

River Patrol

River Patrol

We have seen many nice berets that were worn in Vietnam displayed here over the years. Most are Vietnamese manufactured. Most of the SF Green berets are Canadian manafactured and a few American makers were used as well.

My Request is for British/French/Australian or other country manufactured berets that were used in Vietnam by U.S. forces; does anyone have pictures to share of those types of berets?

If there are none, that is fine.

Thanks much,

Steve

Steve,

We have a very very early war French made one with a hand sewn patch on it. If I remember right, it was for some type of Naval Medical unit. If I can ever find it, I'll let you know.

We have seen many nice berets that were worn in Vietnam displayed here over the years. Most are Vietnamese manufactured. Most of the SF Green berets are Canadian manafactured and a few American makers were used as well.

My Request is for British/French/Australian or other country manufactured berets that were used in Vietnam by U.S. forces; does anyone have pictures to share of those types of berets?

If there are none, that is fine.

Thanks much,

Steve

I think you nailed it the first time. Most of the US berets (aside from the Vietnamese made) from the early 1960's were Canadian made if I recall.

There are subtle differences between British/French/Australian/German berets that probably would have discouraged their use.

But... never say never. More likely if such berets were worn they were more likely seen in Europe with our forces in Germany. I'm trying to remember if I've seen a foreign made beret worn by our Border Patrol ACR units.

• 3 years later...
River Patrol

This is an old thread but we now know British berets were used by Air Force units in Thailand....confirmed by a Spectre beret I have and the BlindBat beret in Yankee Air Pirates publication.

• 5 years later...
On 5/23/2016 at 4:01 PM, River Patrol said:

This is an old thread but we now know British berets were used by Air Force units in Thailand....confirmed by a Spectre beret I have and the BlindBat beret in Yankee Air Pirates publication.

Hi Steve,

I know this is an old thread but I’ve been looking here and online for any examples of British Berets worn in country during the VN war. Can you post the examples you mentioned or others you may have encountered since your post? 

Cheers,

Matt

River Patrol

There is a picture somewhere on USMF (I think) showing a tall Airforce guy in-country that is wearing these wider British berets. I guess I sold the Spectre beret.

Cheers,

RP/Steve

IMG_20210712_200614.jpg

IMG_20210712_200638.jpg

1 hour ago, River Patrol said:

There is a picture somewhere on USMF (I think) showing a tall Airforce guy in-country that is wearing these wider British berets. I guess I sold the Spectre beret.

Cheers,

RP/Steve

IMG_20210712_200614.jpg

IMG_20210712_200638.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics RP. That’s a fancy beret. I’ve never seen that maker before. Very regal printed branding. Love it.

I’ll keep an eye out for that pic. I’ve been going through beret specific posts here and don’t think I’ve seen it.

cheers,

Matt