1942 Ford GPW Jeep Restoration - Well I've gone and done it.

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

I don't think you can really 'nail down' the last script GPW due to a number of issues such as LIFO, FILO, etc.

I thought September 1942 was the accepted cut off date.

Hadn't thought of that and I assumed there might be some overlap, but I'm still fairly new to this jeep thing. If we were talking P-47s, I could tell you when most mods happened and when production blocks switched. It has been fascinating figuring out the 42 GPW though. An awesome little beast!

What's your DoD on it? Mine's a Dallas plant, 16 September 42 delivery date and the original hood number is 20152201 and it isn't a script tub. Been trying to nail down when the last script tubs rolled off the line. I was looking at a 26 August 42 GPW today (s/n in the 586xx range, mine is 65907) and it was a script, so it's looking like early to mid September when they finally stopped. Figure with 6000+ jeeps produced at the Dallas plant in the three weeks between 26 August and 16 September, we should be able to nail down the last script Ford to come off the line. However, if yours is a late September 42, I agree, that is an odd duck and now I'm totally confused!!

My DoD is 9-17-42 with a s/n of 65604. IIRC the cutoff date for the script jeeps was around July/August timeframe.

Cobrahistorian

WOW!!! One day apart! Sorry, mine is 65709, not 65907. I'll have to look closer. Maybe mine's 18 September and not 16?

My pistons, rings and gaskets just arrived. More pics this sunday!

Jon

Hi Jon,

Just catching up on your project. Looks like you had to take a little time away from your project as well. I think that sometimes that helps one get remotivated. That's great you're getting the engine together. I'm halfway thinkiing about getting started on the GPW engine I found. Although, it is a bit rough and may not be able to be saved, but it would be nice to know. It's not a matching number block as the engine stamping is in the 89,000 range. :( Anyway, looking good...keep up the good fight! :)

Zeph

Cobrahistorian

Thanks Zeph! Spent a couple hours in the garage today. I actually tried to salvage my master cylinder and have made some headway on it. Not sure if it'll be able to be saved, but I got all of the fittings off of it. Gotta head out to the auto parts store now to get some oil to put on the pistons and rings. I just stood my tub up on the back panel. All I can say is, when the tub's vertical and I'm looking through the floor at the wall, it's a bit disconcerting. But I'll get it straightened out. There may be a parts jeep in my not so distant future.

Cobrahistorian

Today's pics. Moved the tub from one side of the garage to the other and stood it vertically. I'm trying to reclaim the garage from the explosion that is "Race Horse". I did some work on the brake master cylinder today. It was really badly goobered up, but I managed to knock most of the rust off of it. We'll see if it's usable.

IMG_0609_zps6546badf.jpg

IMG_0610_zpscac21907.jpg

IMG_0611_zps63f29951.jpg

IMG_0612_zps0548e929.jpg

IMG_0614_zps1aebf066.jpg

IMG_0615_zpsd606f3ab.jpg

IMG_0620_zps9fa6043b.jpg

IMG_0618_zps75da8c2c.jpg

Thanks Zeph! Spent a couple hours in the garage today. I actually tried to salvage my master cylinder and have made some headway on it. Not sure if it'll be able to be saved, but I got all of the fittings off of it. Gotta head out to the auto parts store now to get some oil to put on the pistons and rings. I just stood my tub up on the back panel. All I can say is, when the tub's vertical and I'm looking through the floor at the wall, it's a bit disconcerting. But I'll get it straightened out. There may be a parts jeep in my not so distant future.

It can be a little disconcerting looking at all the work to be completed sometimes. I try to break it down to a little project at a time. I seem to find that when I try to work on multiple areas, I become paralyzed with too many thoughts of what to do next...or which direction to throw my wallet! :( I was reading about your transmission project. I think I may have some extra parts laying around from my rebuild that were never used. Nothing major I suspect, but I'll try to dig through my parts box tomorrow and see what I have left over if anything.

I saw your next post as well about all the room a disassembled Jeep takes up. So true!

Zeph

Cobrahistorian

It can be a little disconcerting looking at all the work to be completed sometimes. I try to break it down to a little project at a time. I seem to find that when I try to work on multiple areas, I become paralyzed with too many thoughts of what to do next...or which direction to throw my wallet! :( I was reading about your transmission project. I think I may have some extra parts laying around from my rebuild that were never used. Nothing major I suspect, but I'll try to dig through my parts box tomorrow and see what I have left over if anything.

I saw your next post as well about all the room a disassembled Jeep takes up. So true!

Zeph

Yeah, I've been referring to the whole project as "eating the elephant". Gotta go one bite at a time, otherwise it gets overwhelming. So, I start reassembling the engine tomorrow. After the engine is together, I'm going to focus on repairing the frame. Then the T-Case, transmission and then the tub.

Definitely interested in any spares you're willing to part with. Let me know what you've got and what you'd like for it.

thanks!

Jon

Cobrahistorian

Got a bunch put back on the block today. Haven't tightened down everything yet, but the head gasket, head, sideplate and gasket, intake and exhaust manifolds and gaskets and a couple other things have all been re-mounted. I should be able to finish the engine by next weekend!

Then I've gotta fix the frame and then start on the rest of the powertrain!

Jon

IMG_0625_zpsc7f37188.jpg

IMG_0627_zps401ec800.jpg

How is the radiator? When I was reworking my M37 I was lucky enough to find a very old radiator shop near where I was. I brought them just the radiator...the old guy exclaimed "ah Dodge 3/4 army model" B)

$38 later the entire thing was flushed clean and all the slats were straightened. It was well worth the money. Straightening out the radiator can be done fairly easily with a nice dull dinner knife or butter knife, heck even a mess kit knife. I would definitely take it in somewhere if you haven't already and have it flushed and checked; just not worth the heartache caused when an engine overheats.

Cobrahistorian

How is the radiator? When I was reworking my M37 I was lucky enough to find a very old radiator shop near where I was. I brought them just the radiator...the old guy exclaimed "ah Dodge 3/4 army model" B)

$38 later the entire thing was flushed clean and all the slats were straightened. It was well worth the money. Straightening out the radiator can be done fairly easily with a nice dull dinner knife or butter knife, heck even a mess kit knife. I would definitely take it in somewhere if you haven't already and have it flushed and checked; just not worth the heartache caused when an engine overheats.

I haven't gotten to the radiator just yet. It's still got coolant in it, so that's a good sign, although it'll probably need some work. It's an original F/GPW Marked radiator, so unless it's absolutely unrestorable, I'm going to have it rebuilt.

Cobrahistorian

Well, I've gotta say a HUGE thanks to Zeph, who sent me all of his extra transmission parts! I've gotta get new gaskets and a couple other small parts, but I'm now light years ahead of where I thought I was with getting the powertrain back in action! I'm simply floored.

So, with the weather being somewhat cold and rainy here I only got a little bit done today. It's supposed to be nicer tomorrow, so I'm hoping I'll be able to finish the engine then. In the meantime, I've been assessing what parts I need to finish the powertrain and get her up and running again.

Well, I've gotta say a HUGE thanks to Zeph, who sent me all of his extra transmission parts! I've gotta get new gaskets and a couple other small parts, but I'm now light years ahead of where I thought I was with getting the powertrain back in action! I'm simply floored.

So, with the weather being somewhat cold and rainy here I only got a little bit done today. It's supposed to be nicer tomorrow, so I'm hoping I'll be able to finish the engine then. In the meantime, I've been assessing what parts I need to finish the powertrain and get her up and running again.

Thanks, Jon. I hope the parts work out for you, and it's good to know they went to a good home and purpose.... B)

Cobrahistorian

Busy day today. Got the pistons done and installed and the crankshaft in place. Everything is moving nicely and well lubricated! One minor glitch when I overtorqued one of the fuel pump bolts and tore the head off... Working on getting the rest of the bolt out now.... ugh...

Anyhow, here's today's progress:

IMG_0669_zpsd30265df.jpg

IMG_0673_zps50e93e6c.jpg

IMG_0674_zpsc71f5683.jpg

IMG_0675_zpse5bc016b.jpg

Great progress, but I think the valve cover is installed backwards, I'm pretty sure the vent tube should be in front of the exhaust and not behind it.

Cobrahistorian

Ooops, hit the edit instead of quote button. Currently have 4 kids running through the living room!

Thanks RC, I was going from memory there. Just looked back at my reference pics and sure enough, you're right. I'll switch it over.

I thought I'd mention it because it's alot easier to correct something early on.

Keep us updated on your progress,

RC

Cobrahistorian

Fortunately it's just a matter of switching the bolts. I appreciate the heads up. Took about 5 minutes to fix. Had to pull the panel, flip it over and put the bolts back in. This has been a learning experience from the get-go!

Yeah, at least it was a pretty simple and straight forward fix.

You should probably examine the bolt holes in the oil pan for elongated or distorted holes from previous owners over torquing, it's a common source of drips since it can prevent the pan from seating well.

RC

Cobrahistorian

I'll take a look. I may have a minor issue, since there's a small dent in the bottom of the block/oil pan. Nothing that destroys the seal, but it may have some impact on how the seal seats. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be a huge deal. There aren't any cracks in the block or anything, so that's good, but we'll see next weekend how it goes...

Cobrahistorian

Cobra,

maybe you already have it, but this has been a great resource for me!

http://www.jeepdraw.com/wiki.htm

I printed it for reference while working, use it all the time!

Sure do! I've got it, and I think I need to USE it a bit more.

Cobrahistorian

Racehorseengine002_zpse41b9e27.jpg

RaceHorseEngine001_zpsf1b4f5e2.jpg

Today I closed up the engine. I doublechecked the pistons, bearings and seals, added the camshaft/crankshaft drive chain, gears and cover, (and forward engine mount), tightened down the head, added the oil filter bracket and crosstube and added the oil pan.