1942 Ford GPW Jeep Restoration - Well I've gone and done it.

Zeph, you must be reading my mind!

I just uncovered one complete hood number tonight! USA 20152201 in a darker blue than blue drab. The photo doesn't do it justice. At this point, my intent is to get some modeling liquid masking agent that I can just paint over the original numbers. That will allow me to prime and paint the hood right over the mask and then pull it away to reveal the original hood numbers on a freshly painted hood.

DSCN5127.jpg

I also had an incredible experience tonight. I saw I had a missed call on my cell and had a message from a 47th Tank Battalion veteran! I called him back and we spoke for about 20 minutes. He confirmed my suspicion that the battalion received all new equipment just prior to going overseas, further confirming that "Race Horse" was a stateside-only peep. By September 1944, a 42 Ford would have been "old". Mr. Clark served on M21 mortar halftracks through the 47th tank battalion's entire time in Europe. He told some great stories and I'm going to send him some photos as the restoration progresses.

Just an amazing day!

Jon

In memory of 1LT Julius C. Goldman, XO of F/330th, 83rd Infantry Division 1944-45.

Looking for P-47 and Tactical Reconnaissance Unit photographs and any items associated with WWII Jewish fighter pilots.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you could re-apply the blue-drab markings with the original fonts as supplied by Dutchman Robert De Ruytter... IMO the best out there...

His dataplates are outstanding too...

http://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/4UWPStencils.html

Johan,

It actually looks like the numbers were at least partially hand-done. The "20" is actually a bit smaller than the "152201". I'd like to keep them as original as possible, although the top 1" of the "USA" is completely gone. Going to sand down the rest of the hood over the next couple days and then mask and prime it.

Jon

In memory of 1LT Julius C. Goldman, XO of F/330th, 83rd Infantry Division 1944-45.

Looking for P-47 and Tactical Reconnaissance Unit photographs and any items associated with WWII Jewish fighter pilots.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Well, I've got the hood numbers on both sides about 90% uncovered. Fortunately, they're both the same (USA 20152201)! :D I'm slowly but surely sanding down the hood and will mask and paint the star and numbers as soon as the whole thing has been sanded down enough.

So far, I've got the fan, spare tire mount, grab handles, jerry can strap holder, and a number of other pieces primed. I've also primed the star on the front bumper over the outline of the original. I've started tracing out what remains of the bumper codes. There isn't much there on the front bumper, but there's enough that the rest can be extrapolated. The "HQ" is there as is part of a triangle and part of a "1".

It's been difficult getting through all of the caked-on mud, but it's getting there. I wire-brushed the amorphous, mud-caked blob for 20 minutes before it became clear that it was, in fact, the generator... Haven't opened it up yet, but I'm certain that it's going to need a severe cleaning.

Jon

Today's progress: Thermostat housing and starter motor removed. Looks like the block interior is gonna be rough. Not looking forward to this...

DSCN5208.jpg

DSCN5209.jpg

DSCN5210.jpg

DSCN5213.jpg

DSCN5215.jpg

DSCN5216.jpg

DSCN5217.jpg

Johan,

Engine, tub, frame and data plate are all GPW65709. Since it is the original engine, I'm going to do everything I can do to get it running.

Jon

Jon, your blue hood numbers look really similar to the blue hood numbers I uncovered on my GPW. I find that interesting. I wish I knew a little history on my GPW. Have you seen the thread on the G503 with the index of period photos of hood numbers? I found a GPW that was two number from my hood number flying through the Colorado in the winter of 1942. I have wondered if my GPW was with them. :think:

Does your starter motor have GPW cast into it? I just found my original and noticed that GPW was cast in it.

Looks like you are getting after it.

Regards,

Zeph

Collecting WWII USAAF Militaria and a Few WWII Vehicles Along the Way

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Does your starter motor have GPW cast into it? I just found my original and noticed that GPW was cast in it.

Ford used their own starter motors, but they are the same as the Autolites used by Willys. Other than the casted GPW marking it has a blue Ford-marked ID plate rivitted to the dust cover.

Greetz ;)

David

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Jon, your blue hood numbers look really similar to the blue hood numbers I uncovered on my GPW. I find that interesting. I wish I knew a little history on my GPW. Have you seen the thread on the G503 with the index of period photos of hood numbers? I found a GPW that was two number from my hood number flying through the Colorado in the winter of 1942. I have wondered if my GPW was with them. :think:

Looks like you are getting after it.

Regards,

Zeph

Zeph,

Yep, it does have GPW on it. Wasn't familiar with the photo thread. Got a link? I spent today at the WWII Airborne Jump School graduation and I spent a significant amount of time talking to another 42 GPW owner. His is a July 42 script jeep, 1500 off from mine. When he rolled in with a 2015xxxx hood number, I almost fell over, but it turns out that he just pulled that number out of thin air and it has no bearing on his jeep's actual hood number. It is in the right range though!

Jon

Zeph,

Yep, it does have GPW on it. Wasn't familiar with the photo thread. Got a link? I spent today at the WWII Airborne Jump School graduation and I spent a significant amount of time talking to another 42 GPW owner. His is a July 42 script jeep, 1500 off from mine. When he rolled in with a 2015xxxx hood number, I almost fell over, but it turns out that he just pulled that number out of thin air and it has no bearing on his jeep's actual hood number. It is in the right range though!

Jon

Hi Jon,

Here is the link regarding hood number photos: Jeep Hood Numbers A lot of neat pictures. There is a Jeep history section on the G503 that only comes up if one is signed in. That is where I had found this link.

A lot of people that have WWII era Jeeps have no idea what there original hood number was due to prior paint jobs etc... Before I uncovered my hood number I had found a hood number calculator: Jeep Hood Number Calculator It's interesting to use one's GPW information and see how close it will calculate a hood number.

Have fun,

Zeph

Hi Jon,

Here is the link regarding hood number photos: Jeep Hood Numbers A lot of neat pictures. There is a Jeep history section on the G503 that only comes up if one is signed in. That is where I had found this link.

A lot of people that have WWII era Jeeps have no idea what there original hood number was due to prior paint jobs etc... Before I uncovered my hood number I had found a hood number calculator: Jeep Hood Number Calculator It's interesting to use one's GPW information and see how close it will calculate a hood number.

Have fun,

Zeph

Zeph,

Thanks for the link! As expected mine wasn't there, but this shot is the exact same hood number style and is only 652 vehicles after mine. http://www.ww2jeep.gportal.hu/picview.php?...6&index=121

The one prior to it on the list is 20151443, 758 before it. Interestingly enough, both of those jeeps have FDR riding in them!

Jon

Zeph,

Thanks for the link! As expected mine wasn't there, but this shot is the exact same hood number style and is only 652 vehicles after mine. http://www.ww2jeep.gportal.hu/picview.php?...6&index=121

The one prior to it on the list is 20151443, 758 before it. Interestingly enough, both of those jeeps have FDR riding in them!

Jon

FDR knew a good ride, and he only rode in the best! :thumbsup:

So I had an "oops" moment today. Finally got a bunch of my block bolts out and just have the last 3 at the firewall to pull and then I'll be able to pull the top of the block off. I then moved to the bolt that holds the generator bracket on. It was stuck, but I eventually got it off intact. Problem is, when it gave, I hit the oil line, which is situated right next to it...

SNAP!

SO suddenly oil was pouring out everywhere. Some minor spillage, but I got the majority cleaned up and had to empty the quart-plus of dirty, ancient oil from the oil filter housing.

Should have the other 3 bolts out tomorrow so I'll be able to start getting into the guts of the engine to figure out why it's stuck.

Stay tuned!

Wow... driver's side hat channels and body by the driver's seat is just... gone. 3"x18" strip of rusted scaly metal just came out tonight. Its ugly. Looks like I'll have to replace that side panel before the floor gets replaced so there's something to weld to. It's gonna take a lot of work, but the important parts of the tub with all of the identifying pieces should remain intact.

Haven't pulled the last 3 bolts on the engine yet. Need to get a good cheater bar and go a couple more rounds of PB Blaster before I try again.

Pics tomorrow.

Jon

Jon,

I've just read in Zepher's resto topic you found the blue S on the cowl..

Would it be much trouble to measure up the exact location of the S compared to let's say the edge of the cowl/dash? And the distance to the seam between the upper cowl and lower body??? Want to repaint them on mine, but need some dimensions...

Thanks,

Johan

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Jon,

I've just read in Zepher's resto topic you found the blue S on the cowl..

Would it be much trouble to measure up the exact location of the S compared to let's say the edge of the cowl/dash? And the distance to the seam between the upper cowl and lower body??? Want to repaint them on mine, but need some dimensions...

Thanks,

Johan

Sure Johan! I'm pulling the tub today, so I'll get some good pics and measurements for you when I get it done.

Jon

Pretty productive day today. I pulled the tub and got the top of the block off. The unexpected shower of ethylene glycol was interesting, but I got that under control rather quickly. The back right block bolt came out and coolant came pouring out of the hole. Threw me for a second, but I got a drip pan under it and got most of it cleaned up. The inside of the block actually looks pretty good. Cylinder sleeves show a tiny bit of surface rust, but for the most part look clean and smooth.

The left side of the frame has got some significant rot. Inside both sides was about an inch and a half thick of dried, solidified mud. That mud accumulated and trapped moisture over six decades, with predictable results. Fortunately, the right side of the frame is still strong, despite having a lot of mud. The left... well, that's gonna have to be completely replaced on at least two sides, if not three... I wanted to hose the whole frame off to get rid of most of the dirt, but didn't want to exacerbate the problem by having more moisture get trapped with more mud in the frame beams. So, I've been wire brushing off the dirt, cleaning things up slowly but surely and getting them looking right.

The engine needs work, but fortunately there are no visible cracks in the block, which is what I was concerned about. The aft end of the engine block has got a lot of rust, but I think it might actually clean up fairly well. The flywheel teeth looked bad, but after being sprayed down with WD40, they look a lot better and most of the rust appears to be surface rust without any major chips on the teeth or anything like that.

At this point, the next step is to get the engine drained, get it apart and see what's wrong in there. I'm going to need to grind out the frame beam too, weld in new metal and then clean, prime and repaint it.

Johan, the last two shots are for you. Both sides of the cowling. The S is very faint, but you can see part of it in the first shot. I will get a measurement for you as soon as I get things sorted out in the garage and find my tape measure!

DSCN5330.jpg

DSCN5331.jpg

DSCN5332.jpg

DSCN5333.jpg

DSCN5334.jpg

DSCN5335.jpg

DSCN5336.jpg

DSCN5338.jpg

DSCN5339.jpg

DSCN5341.jpg

F-mark on the frame crossbeam under the bed.

Wow, way to get after it, Jon. Your engine doesn't look too bad. Were you able to get it to roll over or is it still seized? I had a slat grill engine that was seized and I used a 12" section of 2x4 and mallet and tapped on the top of the pistons lightly a few times and it came loose pretty easily.

The frames always seem to be rotted out here and there. I have noticed that a lot of the frames I've seen have that right front (passenger side) shock tower and frame area messed up by battery acid over the years as well.

Great work! Do you ever marvel at how a dismantled vehicle can take up so much room in one's work area? :think: :)

Zeph

Wow, way to get after it, Jon. Your engine doesn't look too bad. Were you able to get it to roll over or is it still seized? I had a slat grill engine that was seized and I used a 12" section of 2x4 and mallet and tapped on the top of the pistons lightly a few times and it came loose pretty easily.

The frames always seem to be rotted out here and there. I have noticed that a lot of the frames I've seen have that right front (passenger side) shock tower and frame area messed up by battery acid over the years as well.

Great work! Do you ever marvel at how a dismantled vehicle can take up so much room in one's work area? :think: :)

Zeph

Zeph,

Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can do about tapping on the pistons and hopefully it'll come free!

Jon

Zeph,

Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can do about tapping on the pistons and hopefully it'll come free!

Jon

Nope, didn't work.