Cobrahistorian

1942 Ford GPW Jeep Restoration - Well I've gone and done it.

First piece to be blasted and prepped for paint: F-marked spare tire mount!

Interesting to note that of the four bolts that hold it to the tub, the upper two were F-marked, the lower two were not.

More to come soon.

DSCN5049.jpg

In memory of 1LT Julius C. Goldman, XO of F/330th, 83rd Infantry Division 1944-45.

Come see what's new at the US Army Air Defense Artillery Museum on Facebook: US Army ADA Museum

Looking for P-47 and Tactical Reconnaissance Unit photographs and any items associated with WWII Jewish fighter pilots.

Also seeking photos, documents and associated materials from the 3rd Armored Division and 83rd Infantry Division in January 1945.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Spent the better part of today realizing just how much of the tub is just gone. It's bad. Salvageable? Probably some of it. Gonna be a lot of patches though.

Jon,

While I'm the first to utter the 'cliche' "it's only original once", sometimes you need to sit back and think things over...

What is your intention with this Jeep once it's finished? I guess you will want to ride it in parades, shows and such, especially with your kids...

So since this will not be a static show Jeep, the entire drive train will need overhaul and restoration with a lot of the mechanical parts being replaced and renewed...

So what do you do with the body??? As you say it will need major work with a lot of patching and welding in new panels and floors... Many of the bolt on parts and the items on the dash will have to be repainted/replaced too, as will be the wiring and other additional components...

Taking all above in consideration, a complete restoration to 'original' appearance might be the way to go....

While in Normandy back in 2009, I saw a restored US Navy GPW on which the owner had kept the patches with original hood numbers visible... but everything else was restored/repainted... It was nice to see that one detail... However if the entire vehicle is a mix of repainted and rusted places, it might not look that good...

For what it's worth, and after seeing the pictures of your jeep again and reading about the rust and damage that you describe, I think that if this was my restoration project, I would document everything extensively and then do a complete restoration job, back to the state it would have been in when put aside right after WW2, complete with re-applied markings as you traced them... If the body had been in better condition, it would have been something else, but as things are now, this might be the way to go...

NOT telling you what to do, just giving my opinion for what it's worth...

Johan

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks Johan and I'm in full agreement.

I'm keeping original metal where I can and replacing the rest. I spent about four hours working on her yesterday. Pulled both fenders off and got most of the tub bolts off. A few were frozen and snapped in half, but the majority came right off. Some put up a fight, and I've got the bumps, bruises and cuts to prove it, but I won.

My short term goal is to get the tub off, get it running and get the transfer case and transmission back together. Then I'll worry about the tub.

DSCN5054.jpg

DSCN5055.jpg

DSCN5056.jpg

DSCN5059.jpg

DSCN5060.jpg

DSCN5062.jpg

DSCN5064.jpg

DSCN5065.jpg

DSCN5066.jpg

DSCN5068.jpg

In memory of 1LT Julius C. Goldman, XO of F/330th, 83rd Infantry Division 1944-45.

Come see what's new at the US Army Air Defense Artillery Museum on Facebook: US Army ADA Museum

Looking for P-47 and Tactical Reconnaissance Unit photographs and any items associated with WWII Jewish fighter pilots.

Also seeking photos, documents and associated materials from the 3rd Armored Division and 83rd Infantry Division in January 1945.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Well, in an interesting twist, there's a chance I may have mis-identified the unit.

The 14th Armored Division stood up at Camp Chaffee on 15 November 1942. The Camp Chaffee markings have got me thinking that I may have misread the bumper code. The 47th Tank Battalion was assigned to the division throughout its entire existence. Is it possible that "Race Horse" was with the 37th Tank Battalion? Sure. Is it possible that it was with the 47th Tank Battalion? Sure. Now to wet sand the bumper VERY carefully and see if I can find anything more...

The plot thickens....

Front bumper:

IMG_0009-5.jpg

IMG_0008-4.jpg

IMG_0007-3.jpg

Left rear bumperette:

IMG_0006-4.jpg

IMG_0005-4.jpg

IMG_0004-4.jpg

IMG_0003-5.jpg

Jon

Left rear bumperette:

IMG_0006-4.jpg

IMG_0005-4.jpg

IMG_0004-4.jpg

IMG_0003-5.jpg

Jon

Looking at these shots after some wet sanding on the left half of the bumperette I'm seeing more. I'm fairly certain that I'm seeing a 14-delta on the upper line. The lower line seems to be revealing a 4 as well, but that piece of white that looks like the bottom right corner of a '3' is throwing me. Since we know that there are at least 2 codes on there it may be erroneous paint and the 4 is the real thing...

Jon,

While you're at it, could you check if the front bumper is mounted with flat unmarked head bolts or F-Marked bolts... The 4 long ones that hols the bumper to the frame gussets...

Thanks,

Johan

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Jon,

While you're at it, could you check if the front bumper is mounted with flat unmarked head bolts or F-Marked bolts... The 4 long ones that hols the bumper to the frame gussets...

Thanks,

Johan

Johan,

They're flat bolts. I've found a number of flat bolts on it, mostly lower down on the frame. Of the four bolts holding the spare tire mount on, the upper two were F marked and the lower two were flat.

Jon

Johan,

They're flat bolts. I've found a number of flat bolts on it, mostly lower down on the frame.

Thanks Jon.... The bumper on my GPW is mounted with flat bolts and although I have 4 F-marked ones ready to bolt on if I wanted to, I'm hesitant to do so as it seems most bumper bolts were unmarked...

Cheers,

Johan

Pulled the taillights and the electrical receptacle tonight, plus the rear grab handles. I think the receptacle is useable, although I'll have to make sure. Interestingly, the bolts on it were marked "EC", not "F". The taillights are trashed. Not a huge deal, but it would have been good to use them. Grab handles are fine and useable. They came off easily and all hardware was good to go.

I've found that many of the bolts on the lower portions of the tub tend to shear when any torque is put on them. Too much rust. I'm hoping that the bumperette bolts don't, so I'm dousing them with penetrating oil on a regular basis before I even attempt it.

So far I've stripped and primed the blackout light, side grab handles, windshield latches, both transfer case levers and a couple other odds and ends. I'll take some pics over the weekend.

Jon

Jon...do you actually find time to go to work in between bouts of restoration!? :lol:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Jon...do you actually find time to go to work in between bouts of restoration!? :lol:

Sure Ian! Actually I've been quite busy at work lately. This beast just arrived yesterday and we've got more on the way!

Zeusarrival004.jpg

Cool! What is that exactly? Nike? Shrike? Honest John?

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Nike Zeus B. XLIM-49A anti-ballistic missile.

Nike Zeus B. XLIM-49A anti-ballistic missile.

Right....thank you! :thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Been busy over the past couple days. The XMIM-46 Mauler arrived on Friday, so that took up most of my afternoon. It's basically a suped up M113 with a big radar and missile system on top of it. Needs a lot of work, but it's one of those neat ADA pieces that help us better tell the story.

Today I spent several hours working on Race Horse. Been pulling engine components and pieces off the tub at a steady pace. (unfortunately many of those tub pieces weren't supposed to come off, but I digress). I've now cleaned up and primed half a dozen parts and will continue to do so during the week and I'll work on the engine on the weekends.

I rebuilt the carburetor today, which was fun and pretty easy. The only glitch was the two dead scorpions and a massive, dense spiderweb inside it, but thankfully no spider (would you really want to meet up with the spider that ate two nasty little gold scorpions?!)...

Anyhow, the carb's rebuilt and looking good, generator is off, distributor cap looks brand new and the distributor looks pretty good too. Fuel filter is gonna be a bear, since it's spitting out dust, but the rest I think should go smoothly. The two fuel lines I removed were clear of any debris and seemed like they would hold pressure just fine. The find of the day, however, was the remnants of the two 8" yellow stars just ahead of each rear wheel well, further confirming its link to the 14th Armored Division!

DSCN5075.jpg

DSCN5074.jpg

DSCN5077.jpg

DSCN5078.jpg

DSCN5079.jpg

DSCN5081.jpg

DSCN5089.jpg

DSCN5090.jpg

DSCN5091.jpg

Keep the scorpions, they might be relics from Camp Chaffee. :D

"Too bad" it isn't a 4AD jeep ...... just kidding! ;)

I'm glad you were able to identify the unit.

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

So, the plan is now to restore it in its Recon colors. However, if I'm able to find a photo of it stateside at Camp Chaffee with yellow stars and Service Battalion markings, I may put it in those colors. We'll see how this shakes out. I'm in contact with the 14th Armored Association and I'm hoping they'll have some more info on it!

Jon

Jon, this may be a dumb question from a non-mechanically minded person....but when you dismantle all of the sub-components, what system do you use to record which parts go where and how do you keep them together in order to facilitate re-assembly? Must be like a gigantic 3D jigsaw!! :o

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Jon, this may be a dumb question from a non-mechanically minded person....but when you dismantle all of the sub-components, what system do you use to record which parts go where and how do you keep them together in order to facilitate re-assembly? Must be like a gigantic 3D jigsaw!! :o

Ian,

For starters, I photograph everything. I've got printouts of all of the manuals too. The carburetor was fairly straightforward. It came apart and went back together VERY easily. There's also a logic to how it goes together. Three-plus decades of model building actually comes in handy there!

I'll pull a part off of the tub, put the bolts with it, then strip, clean and prime it. Once that's done, it gets set aside and I move on to the next piece. I've found that working on the tub during the week and getting the small parts stripped, de-rusted and primed moves me forward while saving the heavy mechanical work for the weekends when I've got larger blocks of time.

Jon

Thanks for that explanation Jon. I suppose a methodical approach is desirable, otherwise the old cliche where some bits are "left over" when everything is assembled would probably apply?! :o

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Started wet-sanding the hood numbers tonight. They're blue. :D

Going very slowly, but I've uncovered a 2 and a 0. The other side of the hood looks like the number is 20152201, but the last digit is very fuzzy. I'm hoping a little wet sanding will bring it all out. I'm using 4000 grit sandpaper, so we'll see how long this takes...

I also pulled the grill off today. Looks kinda weird without it.

Jon

Going very slowly, but I've uncovered a 2 and a 0. The other side of the hood looks like the number is 20152201, but the last digit is very fuzzy. I'm hoping a little wet sanding will bring it all out. I'm using 4000 grit sandpaper, so we'll see how long this takes...

Jon

Like a toothless smile? :D

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Like a toothless smile? :D

Hey this is Oklahoma, not Arkansas!

;)

Jon

Jon, can you tell if the hood numbers are blue drab? The hood number I recovered on my GPW was blue as well, but it wasn't blue drab which I thoght was odd.

Zeph

Collecting WWII USAAF Militaria and a Few WWII Vehicles Along the Way

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif