WWI Cots Found in Attic

eaglerunner88

eaglerunner88

Hello!

I'm not sure where to post this but recently I discovered what I believe to be two WWI US Army foldable cots in my uncle's attic. But I need some help, located on the long side ends is a small hole which I think is for attaching mosquito netting (see close-up pic)? There are also two of the same holes in the center (see pic) In my collection I have WWII mosquito netting made to cover a WWII cot, but does anyone know what type of harware was used for attaching mosquito netting to a WWI cot? Or any reference pictures? My internet searchers were uneventful, thanks for any help!

post-69583-1339887706.jpg

I've never seen anything but the 4 uprights and the 2 side horizonatles...

What leads you to beleive thw small holes have anything to do with the net?

From my use of Mosquitos nets in the last 30 years we would use either small rope or line such as parachute line or poles to hold the nets up. I'm sure our ancestors did the same. ;)

Basically Yankee or GI ingenuity. Many times we would do a tent hang in the middle vice a square as you are doing in the picture. Or secure the four wood poles with tape or rope to each corner. We did have poles with nice little ends that fit into holes but many times we would get poles that had all kinds of weird ends....

eaglerunner88

I can't think of any other use for the holes. I can definitely jerry-rig the netting but I was just curious as to the "proper" way for this era cot. Thanks for the advice so far!

General Apathy

post-344-1340096813.jpg

Hello!

I'm not sure where to post this but recently I discovered what I believe to be two WWI US Army foldable cots in my uncle's attic. But I need some help, located on the long side ends is a small hole which I think is for attaching mosquito netting (see close-up pic)? There are also two of the same holes in the center (see pic) In my collection I have WWII mosquito netting made to cover a WWII cot, but does anyone know what type of harware was used for attaching mosquito netting to a WWI cot? Or any reference pictures? My internet searchers were uneventful, thanks for any help!

post-69583-1339887706.jpg

Hi eaglerunner, attached is an image from the 1943 QMC catalog of the cot cover and metal tube ' T ' bars that could be attached to either end of a cot or bed frame to support the mosquito netting.

Last month I found the remains of one of these metal ' T ' bars in a field used as a WWII medical field hospital several fields away from my house here in Normandy, I will try and add a photo of the find later if possible.

lewis