WWII Stalag Luft III POW group , Medals , Diary , Documents

KASTAUFFER

A very nice grouping you have here Kurt, I have one group that is very similar. One day I too will get around to posting it.

A very nice grouping you have here Kurt, I have one group that is very similar. One day I too will get around to posting it.

Thanks Robin, cant wait to see your group.

Kurt

Thanks Robin, cant wait to see your group.

Kurt

:thumbsup: Kurt got all my significant POW groupings including my all-time favorite !! :w00t:

Still have a POW Air Medal or two...maybe a couple of POW Purple Hearts too...one to a Kreigie who was KIA by friendly fire.

Vic

:thumbsup: Kurt got all my significant POW groupings including my all-time favorite !! :w00t:

Still have a POW Air Medal or two...maybe a couple of POW Purple Hearts too...one to a Kreigie who was KIA by friendly fire.

Vic

Hey Vic

I am planning on posting the group to the Jewish American POW held at Stalag Luft 1 at some point. I might wear my digital camera out taking pics of it! His POW ID card is significant because it has JUDEN written across the front of it.

Kurt

Hey Vic

I am planning on posting the group to the Jewish American POW held at Stalag Luft 1 at some point. I might wear my digital camera out taking pics of it! His POW ID card is significant because it has JUDEN written across the front of it.

Kurt

That is probably the nicest, most complete WWII POW grouping I've ever seen...certainly the best I ever had !!

It's in good hands...looking forward to seeing it again !!

Vic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Thank you for this. My grandfather was co-pilot on the plane. He was a pow and liberated as well. This was very cool to come acrossed.

I am glad you found this post. Thank you for your Grandfathers service.

Feel free to post some pictures on this thread. I may have a photo of your grandfather. I will check,

Kurt

That would be great if you had a photo. I will try to post more photos of a group my cousin has from my grandfathers wartime log. It's very similar. See photo. What is with the ducks?

post-157091-0-59826500-1421174976.jpg

Saltysjs,

Very good humor considering the irony of your grandfathers circumstances at the time of the drawing as well as some collaboration. I look forward to seeing more of his story and artwork, thank you for sharing it on this forum.

John

The "duck theme" was very previlent in a lot of the Stalag Luft III diaries. Walt Disney created a design for a patch for the POWs of Stalag Luft III and it featured Donald Duck in the same pose as the pictures drawn in the 2 diaries we have.

I have a couple of other diaries in my collection that have similar drawings.

The number written into the tag Donald is holding is the POW ID number for your Grandfather,

Kurt

This is a partial crew photo taken in July 1944. I dont know if your Grandfather is in it. Do you recognize him?

crew.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have just made contact with the family of my Uncles B17 pilot. They sent me copies of his POW diary Here is another Donald Duck drawing from the Pilot who was also a POW in Stalag III

Semper Fi

Phil

post-11740-0-14494900-1423888344.jpg

suwanneetrader

Kurt: I'm glad this post, started in 2012, surfaced again as I missed it then. If anyone has a Air Force POW group they are going to part with I want them to know I was very satisfied with the transaction when I sold you mine. You are a very good caretaker. Richard

Kurt: I'm glad this post, started in 2012, surfaced again as I missed it then. If anyone has a Air Force POW group they are going to part with I want them to know I was very satisfied with the transaction when I sold you mine. You are a very good caretaker. Richard

Thanks Richard. I love the mug he made in the POW camp out of the KLIM can,

Kurt

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Burning Hazard

Wow, I somehow missed this thread but awesome items!

By the way, I was born 37 km from Stalag Luft III and still have family in Zagan and surrounding area; used to visit the site a lot as a kid, not much remains other than a few concrete foundations.

Pat

• 1 year later...