WWII Stalag Luft III POW group , Medals , Diary , Documents

KASTAUFFER

I have had this group for about 10 years and have not posted it before. It is a fairly comprehensive group to a POW held at Stalag Luft III.

He was the bombardier of a B-24 from the 455th Bomb Group named "Doughty Dragon". She was attacked by enemy aircraft on a mission to Budapest Hungary on July 27, 1944 . The plane went down and flames killing 5 of the crewman. He spent the rest of the war as a POW in Stalag Luft III in Sagan Germany.

I really like this group because it includes his medals, Wartime Log , POW dogtag , POW ID card , papers, letters, documents and much more. There is also a scrapbook which is not pictured in this thread. It is hard to find groups like this anymore because of the sellers on Ebay and other auctioneers who love to split lots like this up. I've seen 3 complete groups busted up in just the last 4 months. One guy went so far as to take a notebook diary and tear each page out and sell it one page at a time.

Here is a photo of him taken while an Aviation cadet

MVC_024L.JPG

This was taken right after he was liberated.

MVC_034L.JPG

His plane

DOUGHTYDRAGON1.jpg

MVC_021L.JPG

The number on his POW dogtag matches the one on his POW barracks ID card.

MVC_022L.JPG

MVC_023L.JPG

Caterpillar Club and Switlik pin .

MVC_024L.JPG

Caterpillar club certificate

MVC_027L.JPG

MVC_025L.JPG

Officially script hand engraved Purple Heart .

MVC_026L.JPG

1948 dated Purple Heart certificate. This is consistant with the engraving on the medal. He received his Purple Heart for wounds he received as a POW of the Germans.

MVC_028L.JPG

MVC_029L.JPG

MVC_038L.JPG

His YMCA " A Wartime Log " POW diary . This one is the British version, rather then the US Version . He also saved food wrappers, cigarette wrappers, and examples of German rations.

MVC_025L.JPG

That's a great group. You are right. It's very tough to find a grouping with all the key pieces in tact like this one has. The Caterpillar Card and Pin along with the German camp dogtag and ID card are a tough lot to find!

JD

carbinephalen

I'm at a loss for words! To think that ALL of these items have survived together for 67+ years is mind boggling.

"Incredible" doesn't begin to describe how unique and special this grouping is! I'm glad that it found it's way to your hands :thumbsup:

Hello,

What an amazing grouping !

I can't imagine a more complete grouping.

You have here everything a USAAF groupings collector could wish to have. Congratulations.

Tim

AAF_Collection

Thanks for sharing this Kurt,I love the wartime log!. I agree it's such a shame to see groupings literally torn apart,I saw that diary you mention and there are a couple of ebay sellers who regularly break up albums and sell the photos separately.

Matt.

Beautiful group! The guard tower watercolor is of professional quality. I can't make out the name of the artist.

Dick

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Superb grouping Kurt !! I do remember this one for way back when !!

Just a fantastic tribute to this gallant airman !!

Thanks for sharing !!

Vic

Kurt,

Great comprehensive POW grouping. You are right about availability now days. Most groups are broken up. What a shame. No one can say we did not bid high on those groups years ago! I really do believe a group is worth more than it's parts in most cases. Not to mention the work invovled in selling multiple items versus one sale. I realize I am preaching to the choir here. Sellers who are not collectors just can't seem to comprehend the value of a group in most cases.

Dave

Kurt,

Great comprehensive POW grouping. You are right about availability now days. Most groups are broken up. What a shame. No one can say we did not bid high on those groups years ago! I really do believe a group is worth more than it's parts in most cases. Not to mention the work invovled in selling multiple items versus one sale. I realize I am preaching to the choir here. Sellers who are not collectors just can't seem to comprehend the value of a group in most cases.

Dave

Agreed. It's a real shame to have groups seperated. I have been asked to piece out large groupings before, but I could never bring myself to do it and more than likely never will. All my opinion of course. :thumbsup:

JD

Thanks for the comments guys! I have some more complete AAF POW groups like this I need to post. I just have to find the time to take pics.

Kurt

Another top-notch grouping!-I love the POW headshot it. Looking forward to your next "grouping insallment". I'm starting to consider myself a "Grouping Groupie". My boss is probably wondering why I'm not getting anything done. Thank-you once again