WW2 GIs in Wales remembered...a photo report.

Sabrejet

You are becoming as great a roving reporter as Ken. ;)

These shots are amazing. Thanks so much for posting this. How many people attended the unveiling?

It is interesting how much goes on over there! It must be an amazing place to live.

....Kat

Thanks Kat. I suppose around a hundred invited guests? However, the square is in a busy town centre so obviously the ceremony attracted the interest of many casual passers-by. Overall, there was a very respectable crowd!

Ian,

What a nice photo display...thank you.

The plaque is very well done, simple, colorful and to the point. I believe it will be impossible to be visiting, and not feel welcome.

This thread has 228 views and only three people have posted responses. :think:

Maybe you should have posted a close-up of the jeep instead of a close-up of the plaque. :lol:;)

But Ian knows we all love him. :pinch:

Gee Robert...I bet you say that to all the guys! ;)

This thread has 228 views and only three people have posted responses. :think:

Maybe you should have posted a close-up of the jeep instead of a close-up of the plaque. :lol:;)

Or better yet...a salty old lid off ebay with spurious markings?

Thank you for the post Sabrejet, the people there put up with alot of G.I.s. My Dad went over late in the war and passed through Scotland and England on his way to France. He liked the few days he spent on that island, didn't make it to Wales. He was surprised that the people were not tired of Americans in their country.

GoldenCross

Such beautiful photos! It's great to see that honor and respect still exists between two countries! I hope to make it over there some day..

Thank you for sharing!

Ian, always good to meet you.

I will start a thread on the proliferation of size 3R leggings tomorrow night!

Great kit, thanks for sharing

Richard

P6153143.JPG

P6153144.JPG

P6153146.JPG

Hi Rich! Glad you posted the trucks etc. as I was "trapped" in the station house all day! Thanks a lot...good to see you too! Next time at Beltring...third OD jeep fifth row, on the left? Can't miss it coz the white star on the bonnet (hood) is a dead giveaway!

Ian ;)

Nice story and great pictures. My In-laws' unit (107th EVAC Hosp) was stationed in Denbigh before they crossed the channel. They were billeted among the civilians, and many long-lasting friendships were made.

Frank

Hi Rich! Glad you posted the trucks etc. as I was "trapped" in the station house all day! Thanks a lot...good to see you too! Next time at Beltring...third OD jeep fifth row, on the left? Can't miss it coz the white star on the bonnet (hood) is a dead giveaway!

Ian ;)

Lol, yes, you can't miss me.

I'LL pm my phone number so we can meet up for a brew.

Richard

Thanks for posting this, Sabre! My Step-Grandfather (still going strong at 89) was part of the 33rd Signal Construction Battalion and was in Wrexham for a while before being sent to France. He speaks fondly of his time in Wales to this day.

Kevin

Thanks for posting this, Sabre! My Step-Grandfather (still going strong at 89) was part of the 33rd Signal Construction Battalion and was in Wrexham for a while before being sent to France. He speaks fondly of his time in Wales to this day.

Kevin

Is that so Kevin? Both yours and Frank's (Sarge8) relatives were stationed in North Wales...I'm down in the south. Wrexham is not too far from Liverpool, which is just across the English border and was a major port of entry for US forces during WW2. Thanks to you both for your kind comments!

Ian :thumbsup: