WW2 GIs in Wales remembered...a photo report.

Sabrejet

This is hot off the presses! This morning I attended the unveiling of a plaque which honours the many GIs who were stationed in and around my neighbourhood during WW2. The ceremony was held in King's Square, in the centre of the town of Barry, South Wales, and was a curtain-raiser for the "Wartime Weekend" which begins tomorrow. ( More about that later!)

The square was a hive of activity with a number of WW2 military vehicles being present, various GI reenactors, representatives of the British Legion and civic dignitaries, along with members of the public.

The United States was represented by Sergeant First Class Faccini of the U.S. Rangers, looking very sharp in the new blue/gold Class As. I took the opportunity to have a quick conversation with him. The pictures of his racks and qualification badges speak volumes!

The ceremony took the form of a religious service, being taken by a Chaplain, following the introductory address by Dr Jonathan Hicks, author, historian and Principal of the local High School. Prayers of thanks were offered for the many young men from far across the ocean who came to fight in the war for freedom, and who lived among us during those tumultuous years. Taps was played and flags were lowered in memory of those who sadly did not make it home.

Sgt Faccini responded on behalf of the US military, thanking the people of Barry for this gesture and stressing the strong historic bonds which link our respective countries. He then unveiled the plaque...a very impressive piece of polished marble bearing the Great Seal of the United States and a simple inscription which reads: "Dedicated to the memory of the United States Military Personnel stationed in and around Barry, 1942-45"

The service concluded with the singing of the American, Welsh and British national anthems. I hope the following photographs will convey something of what was a splendid occasion which I was proud to attend.

The service began promptly at 1100hrs GMT.

post-8022-1339760818.jpg

Pre-ceremony entertainment was provided by an ENSA reenactor (ENSA was the British equivalent of the USO)

post-8022-1339761329.jpgpost-8022-1339761339.jpg

The British Legionnaires lead the Honour Guard which comprised of British vets, and cadets from the British Army and RAF.

post-8022-1339761632.jpg

Dr Jonathan Hicks makes the opening address (the young lad behind him was charged with holding the flag down as there was a very brisk breeze!)

post-8022-1339761758.jpg

Your roving reporter! ;)

You are becoming as great a roving reporter as Ken. ;)

These shots are amazing. Thanks so much for posting this. How many people attended the unveiling?

It is interesting how much goes on over there! It must be an amazing place to live.

....Kat