Fake sterling Seal Trident

Tonomachi

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Boy Howdy

This silver colored Trident is being sold on eBay as New Old Stock.

The V-21-N mark would date it as post 1974.

Is it a correct issue Trident or made for collectors?

Thank you all in advance.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Tonomachi

A number of insignia companies continued to produce silver Tridents despite the fact that they were no longer authorized for wear going back to the 1970s.  This is one of them made by Vanguard.  In addition somewhere in the 1980s they switch from the metal subdued Tridents worn on their woodland pattern BDUs to cloth only subdued Tridents.  Yet these insignia companies continued to produce subdued metal Tridents even though they were no longer being worn.   

Tonomachi
5 hours ago, Kadet said:

...actually the subdued metal ones were worn until the late 90s

Thanks for this piece of information as I stand corrected.  

Boy Howdy

Great to know.

BTW I have 3 subdued metal Tridents.

I believe they are marked D-22.

Will take a look when I get home tonight.

• 3 months later...
Tonomachi

It was just a matter of time before someone else began producing a copy of the early enlisted silver Tridents due to the amount of money they bring on places like eBay.   Someone got taken as it sold for $195.50 (see link & photos).  It doesn't look like the seller was aware that this was a copy.  It looks like a casting and the finish is wrong and the clutch back pins are wrong.  The most telling error is the hallmark.  You can tell from the hallmark that this was cast from one of the early gold Vanguard Tridents as the person who produced this copy didn't have an example of an early silver enlisted Trident to make a copy from.  The early enlisted silver Tridents has an added hallmark of 1/20th SILVER FILLED which is missing from this copy.  I don't know how many of these are out there but I saw a similar one (see photos) being sold on an insignia sales site called Rolyat Military Collectibles that also sells a lot of Seal Team challenge coins on eBay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284292278028?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5335821211&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1&nma=true&si=aVSeZ2LyjtSikAMfWja416mjPcQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Vanguard Silver FAKE Trident (6).jpg

Vanguard Silver FAKE Trident (7).jpg

FAKE Rolyat Military Collectibles Trident Silver  (2).jpg

FAKE Rolyat Military Collectibles Trident Silver  (1).jpg

A couple Vanguard Tridents that I have. The 1/20 silver filled is legit. The other one I wonder about.

Trident Vanguard silver 1.jpg

Trident Vanguard silver 2.jpg

Tonomachi
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Trident Vanguard 1.jpg

Trident Vanguard 2.jpg

Your first one is genuine but the second one lacks the 1/20th SILVER FILLED hallmark and the finish is wrong.  Your second Trident is similar to another I came across at one of the ASMIC Shows in Washington State which I didn't think was genuine.  It also has the wrong or actually no finish at all but this one is hallmarked ANTAYA A26N without the 1/20th SILVER FILLED.   I wonder if these are restrikes.

Fake Trident George Petersen (1) - Copy.jpg

Fake Trident George Petersen (2) - Copy.jpg

The Anataya one could just be a later made one. It seems at some point this insignia no longer had 1/20 silver fill. The Vanguard ones might still be good, just really late made. Maybe they were remade for the collectors market, might never know definitively.

Tonomachi
2 hours ago, Spike said:

The Anataya one could just be a later made one. It seems at some point this insignia no longer had 1/20 silver fill. The Vanguard ones might still be good, just really late made. Maybe they were remade for the collectors market, might never know definitively.

The two silver Tridents (Vanguard & Antaya) that lack the 1/20th SILVER FILLED hallmark also seem to have been produced without the antique silver finish of the originals that was still being used on current silver insignia like paratrooper wings up until everyone went to the Sta-Brite finish insignia.  I could be wrong but in my opinion these Tridents are fakes that were made to deceive.   I saw this one Antaya silver Trident a couple of years ago and your Vanguard silver Trident is only the second one to surface that I am aware of so in my opinion they were both produced within the past couple of years.  The one that sold on eBay recently is clearly a cast piece but our two look like stampings.  I have been collecting Tridents since the 1980s and I just think that I would have come across similar silver Tridents made from what looks like original dies but lacking any kind of finish as well as the 1/20th SILVER FILLED hallmark.   

I've had the Vanguard Trident for years if I remember correctly. Don't remember where I got it though.

If it makes a difference the Trident in question came from Craig Pickrall's widow.

• 4 weeks later...
Basic Rifleman

These came from the Pickrall estate as well. I have to say, having them in hand makes me feel pretty good about them. That said, I'm no UDT/Seal Badge expert, but I've handled a few of these in the past, but would like to get some feedback from the community of experts here. The Silver filled UDT badge is marked by Vanguard and has the "silver filled" mark as well as the backwards "N" farther up on the anchor. The Gold UDT badge is also marked by Vanguard, has the backwards "N", but also has an "Antaya A26" stamp overtop the Vanguard makers mark. I know there's been considerable reference in this thread and others about a single die being used, but why would there be a double-stamped makers mark?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

silver udt front.jpg

silver udt back.jpg

Tonomachi

They are both good.  The gold one is somewhat unique as someone stamped the hallmark Antaya A26 over the original hallmark of Vanguard V-21.  Why this is like this no one knows for sure because Vanguard is still in business while Antaya is not.  So the explanation that Vanguard went out of business and Antaya bought up their left over inventory of insignia and before putting them out on the market they put their hallmark on their former competitor's insignia doesn't make sense.   

Basic Rifleman

Thanks Tonomachi. I saw in this thread and others that there may have only been one die used for the UDT and another for the SEAL badge. Perhaps it was possible the three or four retailers helped each other out filling orders from time to time.... Either way, I'm very happy to have added these two rare badges to my collection.