Fake sterling Seal Trident

Tonomachi

Here's an interesting Trident I got at the Great Western in the late 80's/early 90's.....sand cast? I assume this is bogus too.

post-532-1340299572.jpg

post-532-1340299584.jpg

post-532-1340299723.jpg

post-532-1340299737.jpg

Top Trident, gold Anataya A26 reverse N

Mid Trident, silver Vanguard V-21 1/20th silver filled

Bot Trident, silver Vanguard V-21 1/20th silver filled

Spike,

Mini Silver SEAL is a great piece, I am still looking for one after all these Years. I would have little worry about a Gold KREW as they were a Mfg of SpecWar insignia, just not during the time when silver badges were worn. Sandcast....., I have seen other sandcast insignia made on Korea (Belt Buckles, Frog Key chains ect) Dets, so why not a Budweiser. That would be an insignia I would want straight from a Team Guy but would not want to buy from endcap Burt at a show. Hard to tell from the pic, but is it possibly real gold? There was a batch made in Jeddah Saudi Arabia during that time period in 18kt Gold that were sandcast. Just saying... Last but not least The Gold Antaya silver filled, another Great piece.

Back to the original subject of the Sterling badge, To Me, it just seems like someone trying to cash in on SEAL items. I just cant see a Team Guy going to a US jeweler to make something that they could of had made oveseas at half the price. Got to remember there was alot of hard feelings over the different badges UDT,SEAL,Officer,EM. All did the same job and all felt there should all wear the same badge. That is why after a Year or so the Navy approved all to wear the Gold Trident( which was a big thing for an EM to wear a Gold badge). The Silver SEAL was not really a treasured item in the community to wear. Just My 2 cents.

Skir, the KREW one is silver as is the sand cast, the light is bad so they tend to look gold.

I thought I had another mini Trident in silver but if I do I can't find it.

I also have all the UDT Tridents in gold and silver and both mini and large.

Spike,

Sorry, I thought for sure they were gold. The Krew is a collector copy. I have seen these in KREW, HH24, L22, and D22. The sand cast is a tough one, The West Coast teams really had a wider varity of insignia made during the war and even up until today, whereas the East Coast pretty much stuck to the official insignia. One thing that both coasters always said the critera about the insigina is that it looked good., especially Feddie (The Frog). Patches like the UDT Team patches and that really bad joke "My Life For Freedom" patch, Feddie looks like a green blob envokes distain from the Team Guys . Again, being only worn for little more that a Year, I would really doubt anyone would have made silver SEAL badges for uniform wear. These were not worn on ops, most LDNN advisors wore Viet insignia if at all, I know of no self respecting frogman who would wear a party suit. One could argue that they were made for uniform wear on rotation back to the States, but again with the limited time period of the Silver SEAL life, You are talking Maybe 4-6 platoons( 60 guys) at most that this might have been an issue. Myself I would only feel good about the sandcast if from a Team Guy and would not want this if I saw at a gunshow, but again that is just My opinion. Your Vangaurds and Antayas are great pieces and You are really lucky to have so many of them, I dont think most collectors realize how uber rare these 1st issue badges are.

I agree about the sand cast. I bought it when I was still learning what was good and what wasn't. I had a feeling the KREW one was not legit as well but again I took a chance.

You are right about SEAL 2 and patches.....they were pretty plain with patches and didn't have the variety of patches like the West Coast, especially when it came to UDT's. Below is my collection of UDT/SEAL insignia. One thing about the UDT patches as time went on there was less detail in the Freddie the Frog figure as evident in the pics.

As far as the crappy looking "My Life For Freedom" patch, I have one but I have no idea what it really is and when it was made. I got it cheap but I have seen some stupid prices on them.

post-532-1340416679.jpg

Spike,

Once again I am impressed with Your UDT stuff, It took Me longer to find a subdued UDT13 patch than a silver Trident over on this side. So true on the progession of the UDT team patches, the last UDT 11 patch I got was a early 80s Vanguard packaged unissued patch... Freddie looked like he was drawn by a drunk 5 year old.

On this Coast, the "My life for Freedom' started showning up at shows at the same time of the HH24 Silver Tridents. They looked to be made in Taiwan or Japan and were machine made. I traded for one and thought I scored bigtime until I saw another 2 rows over. Not wanting to beleive I just got taken, I justified that some Frog had gone to the show and traded a few off. Next Day started showing to the Nam Guys and the same reaction from each and every one, 'No one on the Teams would wear that piece of shi$', Laughs, ect.. Over the next few months I had sent copies to My West Coast buddies and the same reaction. At the next gunshow there were more. Now I see Hand made versions going for $250-$300 and just shake My head. I still have mine, I keep in the drawer were I keep My original SS butterfly knife :lol:

• 2 years later...

Dear Gents

I would like to know where I can purchase a genuine navy SEAL gold badge cause I think may be there are fakes and now I don,t know how recognize them.

Thanks for help me

Fernando

Dear Gents

I would like to know where I can purchase a genuine navy SEAL gold badge cause I think may be there are fakes and now I don,t know how recognize them.

Thanks for help me

Fernando

what do you think on this one is this an original and genuine navy seal gold badge,I own this one since some years ago. :( and I never post it to comment.

thanks for help

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Dear Gents

Thanks for help me

Fernando

It has been my observations that circa 2000 to 2012 the US insignia company called Vanguard and others began contracting out with a company or companies in Communist China to have their insignia made for them at a lower cost since labor is cheaper overseas. This includes the Navy Seal Trident which you can purchase on eBay. There are a number of vendors on eBay that sell Tridents and if you look at where the seller is shipping from it will say China. My guess is that these sellers have purchased either overruns or special ordered a group of insignia from the same company that Vanguard is purchasing their stuff from. So the gold ones are current issue just stay away from the silver one as it is a copy. They also manufacture a black subdued Trident which was at one time worn on woodland pattern camouflaged BDUs but I think Navy Seals have gone to all cloth subdued Tridents so if this is the case then the Communist Chinese subdued Tridents should be considered copies.

My guess is that the Best Emblem manufactured Trident that you have is one of those lower quality pieces of insignia that is sold off base at nearby surplus or civilian run military clothing stores. The finish looks a little funny but would probably pass inspection. Is it real well I don't know as it probably isn't issued and not picked up on base at the PX.

I recently saw a worrisome silver Trident at an insignia show that looks like it came from the original dies but they didn't or couldn't (lacking equipment) get the finish right. It was a bright silver color front and back unlike the original ones that came out circa 1972. The original Tridents had an antique silver finish on the front with a charcoal finished back. I tried to take some photographs (see below) of this silver Trident but the photos didn't come out very well due to poor lighting. FYI

post-1389-0-71796400-1414629704.jpg

post-1389-0-13538900-1414629714.jpg

Unless My list is not complete,Not Real. Made for the collectors market. Did not see BEST Emblem on the USN list as approved mfg for USN insignia. All official USN approved badges will have the IOH number system stamped on the back(ie V-22-N in this case would be mfg Vanguard =V, their IOH number= 22, and service- Navy= N). Not that hard to find real ones(marked) in the 15-20$ range.

Black metal Trident worn only for a short period on Woodlands, ChocoChip and DCU before discontinued. Real ones (marked) are getting harder to find.

The Antaya MIGHT be an original Officers Trident that someone had silver plated( Have 2 Gold ANTAYA Officer badges marked in the same spot). Have seen it done with a Vanguard, being sold as original. Yes, was a original Officers badge ruined by the SP job.

• 1 year later...

FWIW, a link to the edition of "ALL HANDS" magazine announcing the insignia.

http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/archpdf/ah197003.pdf

Many thanks for this information and link. I saw this at an insignia show since and almost had a heart attack as I thought I had found an original sterling Trident in an original box and manufacture card (see photos below).

post-1389-0-32769700-1459651596.jpg

post-1389-0-71731400-1459651717.jpg

Once I turned the Trident over I found that it was a silver filled Vanguard Trident (see photo).

post-1389-0-10012300-1459651930.jpg

I have been trying to track down the source of the sterling silver cast Trident stamped ever so lightly "KREW" which popped up on eBay which is pictured below and in Post 25. I spoke with the eBay seller who remembered the name of the veteran whom he obtained the Trident from. Upon checking the Internet I found a possible address for this veteran and wrote him a letter. He was nice enough to call me and explained where he had obtained the cast Tridents made out of real silver with a light hallmark of KREW. He told me that in 1988 he was at the Jefferson Barracks Parks Insignia Show, St. Lewis, Missouri. A seller by the name of Ken (last name withheld) out of Iowa had eight of these cast Tridents made out of real silver for sale. Three of them were as he described "badly melted" (poorly cast). He told me that he bought three others that were in good shape one of which is pictured below.

post-1389-0-49602000-1459652663.jpg

post-1389-0-69703800-1459652687.jpg

I believe I have found the commercially produced Trident manufactured by KREW from which these cast silver Tridents were made from (see photos below). What is interesting is the lack of the lower third clutch back pin. Also this would have been considered a commercial copy as KREW was not one of the three insignia companies that manufactured the first original and short lived silver Tridents in the 1970s. So it would appear that someone cast at least 8 of these silver Tridents from a commercially produced copy Trident.

post-1389-0-49705700-1459653033.jpg

post-1389-0-76727700-1459653052.jpg

There has to be more than 8 since I have 2.

post-532-0-59699000-1459714686.jpg

The top is a bit rougher casting wise and the bottom has a slightly more polished look to it.

I'm pretty sure I got one of the these from John O'Conner a LONG time ago.

• 4 years later...

I know. Old posting.

But... shock would be more desirable a factory manufactured KREW 2 clutch silver trident or a sterling cast copy? I was just given a KREW marked 2 clutch trident that looks to be a factory made one. Also does anyone know when KREW made these and why?

Thank you and God bless the US!