134th NY Veteran Gettysburg Reunion group.

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

I was very pleased to pick up this group at the recent Columbia, SC Civil War Show. Though the 1893 NY 30th Gettysburg Reunion medal is common, it is very uncommon to find engraved examples. I've owned twp of them, singles, in the past and have had the chance to inspect perhaps a half dozen more. All authentic examples seem to be named in the same style and I'll try and get a better image of the rim naming than the one I'm about to post.

The 134th New York Infantry was heavily engaged in action at the Battle of Gettysburg and doubtless Private William Alverson saw much action during those historic days. In 1893 and again in 1913 he attended the Veteran's Reunion's held at Gettysburg. I'm sure at the 50th Reunion in 1913 he proudly wore his 1893 Reunion medal. This example is rim engraved with Alverson of the 134th New York and is accompanied by his 1913 medal, a fine wartime tintype in uniform, and discharge as well as engraved cufflinks, pension record, and a postwar image.

From the official history "The regiment was heavily engaged at Gettysburg, in the battle of the first day, and in the gallant defense of Cemetery hill on the second day, meeting with a loss of 42 killed, 151 wounded and 59 missing, a total of 252 out of 400 in action. After the battle it accompanied the army on its return to Virginia "

alverson2.jpg

alverson3.jpg

alverson5.jpg

A bit more on the 30th Gettysburg Veterans Reunion...

In 1893, on the 30th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, the State of New York decided to support the return of those living veterans of that battle to Gettysburg for the dedication of the New York Monument. Special trains were arranged to take the soldiers from various parts of New York to Gettysburg, and the old soldiers camped on the old battlefield for the 3 days of commemoration, July 1-3, 1893.

New York also had Gettysburg Veterans' medals struck, somewhere around 11,000 of them.

The medal is a circular medal 44mm in diameter, suspended from a bronze bar which reads: "July 1-2-3 1863 Gettysburg Veteran." The obverse contains the Great Seal of the State of New York surrounded by the words "Dedication of State Monuments at Gettysburg July 1, 2, 3 1893 - New York Day". The reverse contains a bas relief of the New York Monument with the dates 1863-1893. An open laurel surrounds the monument.

flaggif.gif

That's a wonderful grouping! The New York State shell jacket indicates that this is an early war image, probably taken within the first year after muster. The narrow crown on his forage cap also indicates that this is an early war image, as the design of the crown actually widened as the war progressed. Since the 134th New York responded to Lincoln's call for 300,000 volunteers in September of 1862, this images likely dates sometime in the 1862-1863 time frame.

Again - a wonderful grouping! I would definitely like to see the engraving on the medal. I had the opportunity to purchase an example named to a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, but I did not commit because I was not entirely comfortable with the engraving (given the CMH connection).

wartimecollectables.com

Thank you for the notes on the image, he enlisted 8/5/62 so that date is spot on! Here are images of the engraving on the rim. All the good ones I've seen have been similarly named. I wonder if there was one 'sutler' vending veterans material there that offered his engraving services.

alversonx.jpg

alversony.jpg

Thank you for posting the pictures! While I do not have images of the "engraving" of the medal I examined, I distinctly remember that the rim was unevenly stamped with block letters. While the patina looked good, I was not comfortable with the stamped letters. The authentic ones that I have seen are more in line with what you have.

I suppose it was a wise decision.

wartimecollectables.com
I suppose it was a wise decision.

Sounds like it was, also sounds like one that was offered on ebay awhile back. If 'yes', you definite made the right decision.