82nd ABD Beret

Terry K.

Hi All,

I had a friend bring this to me a couple of weeks ago and he said a buddy of his had bought a box of military stuff at an auction and this and another beret along with uniforms, etc... were in it. So far this is all I have seen. He told me he would try to get it for me if I was interested in it and today he brought it to me and said He would try to get the rest for me soon. From what I have been able to find it is from the 3rd Bn. (Abn) 325th Infantry of the 82nd Airborne Div. If I am incorrect please let me know. Any idea to the age? I know with no liner it would be hard.

Thanks,

Terry

post-629-1339611037.jpg

post-629-1339611104.jpg

post-629-1339611129.jpg

Terry

I have an enlisted like this one.Flat edge flash so Im thinking 80s or mid 90s??Mine came from a trooper who got out in 86-87 if I recall correctly.Pretty typical to see the liners removed.This helped the wearer to be able to shape the beret and made it cooelr to wear (or so I ve been told).In Ians Normandy post you can see how they like to shape the style to wear.

Yes that looks like late 80's early 90's. It was VERY common to cut out the liner in your daily wear beret. As you can see this was mine-

100_1624.jpg

But you always had to keep one with the liner for inspections. The butter bar who had yours didn't shave it much so you can still see the texture of the fabric. We spent a lot of time shaping berets, that meant wetting, shaving, and sitting to dry on a football or something in the shape you want.

If the beret is from the 80s or mid 90s, then the 3/325 was the Airborne Battalion Combat Team assigned to the Southern European Task Force in Vicenza, Italy. It was a "stand alone" battalion, not part of the 82nd. At the time we wore the SETAF patch with an airborne tab. Just for clarity.

Hey doyler, Sabrejet and tw5270,

Thanks much and great pics. I thought it might be 80's. I don't know if you can see it, but the owner had something put behind the flash to make it stand/puff out. I should have the other one soon, but he said it was an enlisted mans. I figured at $10 each I can't go wrong.

Terry

Good old 32 jive! I remember cutting out the liner so you would not have a "pizza" beret. Still have my old beret from the 1/504th. 25+ years old.

Hey doyler, Sabrejet and tw5270,

Thanks much and great pics. I thought it might be 80's. I don't know if you can see it, but the owner had something put behind the flash to make it stand/puff out. I should have the other one soon, but he said it was an enlisted mans. I figured at $10 each I can't go wrong.

Terry

Terry

THere is always a stiffener in the(US) beret fronts.Gives the front shape and a rigi backing to sew on the flash and mount the DI or rank.

We used to always cut out the lining and then wet them down and then wear them for a couple of hours to shape and form them, but always left the badge/flash stiffener in place. Leaving the liner in never allowed it to 'form' to your head and it acted as an insulator and was hot as well...

Rick

We used to always cut out the lining and then wet them down and then wear them for a couple of hours to shape and form them, but always left the badge/flash stiffener in place. Leaving the liner in never allowed it to 'form' to your head and it acted as an insulator and was hot as well...

Rick

I have one of my cousins SF berets.He removed the liner.One of his last I assume from the early 70s.I have one I purchased from a captain who seved in VN.Liner removed as well.Couple others that retain liner.One Black Ranger with out liner from a friend.He stated he would remove the liner,wear it in the shower using hot water to soak it throughly and form it and then wear til dry.He did this several times along with shavng it down.I collected foriegn berets for a while and have a few left.The Italian paratrooper berets were some of my favorites.Also have few Vietnamese examples