Repairing Canvas Tent

on-to-berlin

on-to-berlin

Hi ALL!

Has anybody experience with repairing the General Purpose Small and Medium Tents? I just got both of them and there are some holes in the canvas. I presume they can be sewn by hand but I have also seen that there is Canvas Glue for the Tents. Has anybody tried that?

Sure it is possible. Make a trip to your local craft store, like Joann Fabrics, Michael's, AC Moore, etc. You can probably find a kit there. You need a heavy-duty awl and the proper kind of thread.

Or bring it to a marina that repairs sails, they can do it as well.

You might need to find some "donor" canvas from junked shelter halves etc., from which to cut some patches?

Check the local phone book to see if you have a local company that repairs tents or awnings, they would have the heavy duty sewing machine needed for a repair like the Army. They might even have OD canvas., or tell you about someone else who could repair it.

I believe that Sabrejet's idea of using the material from a junk one is very good, depending on the size of holes.

If the holes are relatively small, it could be repaired with just the proper thread, and a machine set up to do a 'fill-in' stitch (sorta like embroidery).

When repair is complete, get some "Duck Canvas Waterproofing Compound", to blend towards original finish. Perhaps, a small percentage of something like used motor oil, to the mix, might get the color just right. (Try on scrap first.)

That tent and awning shop, suggestion, might be your best first start.

The marina, mentioned, would also be able to refer you to someone who fabricates custom boat covers.

A shoe repair shop or a leathersmith would also have machines capable of heavy-duty sewing.

Unless you want it to appear as a field-repair, you'll have a much better result having it machine-done.

on-to-berlin

Thank you for the fast replies. I have a heavy duty sewing machine and canvas as well but the posotion of the holes is in the way that the machine cannot get there due to the amount of canvas I would have to feed through it. I will get a US army tent repair kit with the proper thread and then see how it goes. I will take some pictures and post it.

craig_pickrall

If you go to google Books they have the following manual posted:

TM 10-8400-201-23 GENERAL REPAIR PROCEDURES FOR CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT. This manual will give you good tips on how to repair canvas items. What needles, thread, etc to use and how it should be stitched.

I'm not sure this manual is there but it is handy too if available.

FM 10-16 GENERAL FABRIC REPAIR

• 5 months later...

Look around on the survival, FEMA, NOAA sites as the FM & TM can usually be found as a free download. One bit of advice- when you find it download right then as the postings are not always here upon reurn to the sites.