Thorpe Abbotts - Norfolf, England

king802

I was attending a family wedding at the weekend and nipped into the 100th Bomb Group Museum in the control tower at Thorpe Abbotts yesterday.

If anyone happens to find themselves near Diss in Norfolk it is well worth the trip.

Fantastic collection of 100th BG items, mostly donated by the Veterans themselves or found on the site of the old airfield. Quite a few original painted A2's on display as well as parts of B17's.

Very poignant standing on the roof of the control tower looking out over the field where the runway once was. The museum is a credit to the veterans and to the local peoples dedication to bring the old tower back to life.

On the way out we drove around the old perimeter and it's surprising how many of the old wartime buildings are still (nearly) intact.

This website i found will give you a good indication of the size of the site and what remains. The control tower is located to the North, on the map overlay you can still make out some of the Frying pans. Quite a few old buildings in the woods that are now sadly decaying with time.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=32...splayclass=full

The Tower also has a regular visit from a P51 Mustang that buzzes the old airfield -not on this occasion but last time i was there on my own and the P51 came along and i was treated to a private air display :thumbsup:

Highley recommended :thumbsup:

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's uncle took off from Thorpe Abbots for the last time on the morning of 10 October 1943. If we ever get to the UK, this is a must see for us.