American military vehicles in Normandy, 2012

Sabrejet

A buddy of mine was at an event in Europe two years ago and got a photo of a Sherman tank marked for the 101st AB! :blink:

Need to keep this in mind for when I sell my armor .... eh, I mean AIRBORNE armor collection some day ....

Erwin

Very nice pictures, Ian. Thanks for posting! However, I sorta feel left out working on my '42 GPW project with the intent on painting it with the 91st Bomb Group markings. ;)

Zeph

Very nice pictures, Ian. Thanks for posting! However, I sorta feel left out working on my '42 GPW project with the intent on painting it with the 91st Bomb Group markings. ;)

Zeph

Well good for you Zeph...USAAF subjects are definitely under-represented! I look forward to periodic progress reports on the forum! :thumbsup:

General Apathy
A buddy of mine was at an event in Europe two years ago and got a photo of a Sherman tank marked for the 101st AB! :blink:

Hi Lee, we had fun two years ago looking at an E. Co. 506 Chevrolet bomb loading crane.

This year we were much amused at the multitude of Jeeps with canvas shovel covers attached to the side mounted shovels :w00t: , JEEP CANVAS SHOVEL COVERS, SOMETHING WHICH NEVER EXISTED IN WWII. :lol:

ken

Ken is right. Unfortunately, "Jeepsters" have a tendency to load up their vehicles with everything but the kitchen sink! IMHO, less is more!

Ken is right. Unfortunately, "Jeepsters" have a tendency to load up their vehicles with everything but the kitchen sink! IMHO, less is more!

It always makes me laugh when you see vehicles feestooned with kit, hanging over the sides and packed into every available space. It may look good for display purposes but in reality wouldn't be done -unless of course you wanted everything soaking wet or shot up my small arms fire and shrapnel :crying:

nice pictures Ian.

Rich

Zeph

Now that would look good. :thumbsup: Had the good fortune to be based at Bassingbourn, spent many a wet morning running round the old airfield.

Surprising it's not more common in England to have Bomb Group marked jeeps.

Rich

Now that would look good. :thumbsup: Had the good fortune to be based at Bassingbourn, spent many a wet morning running round the old airfield.

Surprising it's not more common in England to have Bomb Group marked jeeps.

Rich

You'd have thought the airborne thing would have run its course by now, but alas not! Every man, his wife and their dog over in Normandy seemed to be dressed as paratroopers...predominantly the 101st...the poor 82nd barely got a look in!!

I'm reworking my way through this thread again. There is something for everyone here,......where's Hollywood? :w00t:

This year we were much amused at the multitude of Jeeps with canvas shovel covers attached to the side mounted shovels :w00t: , JEEP CANVAS SHOVEL COVERS, SOMETHING WHICH NEVER EXISTED IN WWII. :lol:
Ken, where are people getting these? Who came up with the idea? I saw one in a modeler's book on vehicles a few years ago and I haven't been able to figure out how they came to exist in the first place...

General Apathy
Ken, where are people getting these? Who came up with the idea? I saw one in a modeler's book on vehicles a few years ago and I haven't been able to figure out how they came to exist in the first place...

Lee, thanks for asking I will be answering this a little later once I have received a photo of a shovel cover a friend took this week in St Mere Eglise. :laughing1:

ken

I will be answering this a little later once I have received a photo of a shovel cover a friend took this week in St Mere Eglise. :laughing1:
I can assume these covers exist partially to protect the side of the jeep from the shovel's edge.

I find it funny how you see trends among vehicles based on which side of the pond you're on. I have several books on European show vehicles and routinely read the British MV magazines.

• I see a lot of excess markings on EU/UK-based vehicles, a lot of color unit insignias and souvenir license plates from large vehicle events and sometimes multiple MV group decals.
  • American-based MVs also have group stickers (I swear I must be the only MVPA member who doesn't have a MVPA sticker on his MV) and often have "nose art" style names on them.

Be brave....ditch the Olive Drab and get that hack-saw out!

post-8022-1339526070.jpg

I always thought of SAS Jeeps as being as bad as the E/506 ones (if not worse). You always seem to see one at UK/EU shows and you can hardly find a more rare and "special operations" type of vehicle from WW2!

My MB is as plain-Jane as you can get, I have it partially marked for a COM-Z unit, will complete the markings for a pysops/PR unit that dealt with all the correspondents in France:

LeePressJeepOly09.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1339538507.jpg

I can assume these covers exist partially to protect the side of the jeep from the shovel's edge.

Hi Lee, these canvas shovel covers started appearing in France maybe 15 - 20 years ago made cheaply out of the more loosely woven French canvas and using French web straps with the weird French multi-shaped end cap on the strap. Since then this ' Fantasy ' item has spread widely to other countries and been sold by Jeep spares stockists, if the customer asks for it well lets sell it to them, who cares that no such item ever existed in WWII.

I find it hard to believe the deep extent and cost that most Jeep owners go to when restoring, renovating, or rebuilding their Jeeps, and then to finish it off by adding a fantasy item to the final image.

Ray Cowdery in his book ' all American Wonder ' history of the Jeep purportedly offered a reward to the finder of a crated Jeep, many stories existed of crated Jeeps but Ray wanted to actually see one.

likewise maybe a reward should be offered for a definitive WWII photograph of a Jeep with a canvas shovel cover attached to it's shovel, sadly with CGI and photo-shop now available a photo could be produced.

You mentioned earlier that you saw one in a magazine on Jeeps or military vehicles but I read it that the photo's were modern set re-enactor photo's taken at a show.

Note the cheaply constructed cover in the photograph above, the manufacturer has not even sewn the straps on in a professional manner allowing the strap to lay flat and wrap around the shovel shaft neatly, the strap is bunched.

Personally I would like to see the demise of this cover amongst Jeep owners, but sadly if there is a buck to be made then someone will be selling them, it's up to Jeep owners to do their research and realise that there never was such an item in the American inventory

ken

I too never understood why someone would do all the work to a WW2 Jeep then hang all kinds of modern or farby things on it.

My MB isn't perfect, mind you, quite far from it, but it's more complete than many (it's never been restored, actually) but other than the license plate on the back (a 1942 plate registered to the Jeep, held on with quick-detatch straps that come off at shows and re-enactments), there's nothing modern on my ride other than a key ignition and a modern in-line fuel strainer inside the engine. When we do parades, it never fails that someone will hand me a modern small US flag. I have bought a small batch of flags that size only with 48 stars. I tell people, "If it didn't exist in 1944-45, I don't want it on my Jeep." Of course, reproduction is fine, I mean the pattern. Shovel covers are clearly out, and thankfully that's a trend that never carried over to my side of the Atlantic!

You mentioned earlier that you saw one in a magazine on Jeeps or military vehicles but I read it that the photo's were modern set re-enactor photo's taken at a show.
Yes, Ken, I meant that they were modern show Jeeps.

I have long threatened to do a cartoon showing a 'restored' WW2 Jeep with every possible thing a person could add to one that existed in WW2. I should get off my backside and draw it as I tire of seeing Jeeps that are outfitted in ways you just don't see in period photos. All I'd have to do would be to break out my verlinden US WW2 vehicles book and do a compilation of all the Jeeps there to make it good and funny.

Jordan "strayduck230" has one of the best 'field' Jeeps I've seen in a long time, as can be seen in this thread.

manayunkman

Any traffic jams with all these vehicles ??

Some great shots. Who was the girl in the red skirt ??

Going to Market Garden ??

My favorite too-too on Jeeps is MGs. Frequently one sees TWO MGs, one on the floor-mounted pintle job AND one for the passenger. Two .30s seems too much, but a FIFTY up top and a .30 is worse.

Veterans of abn recon made it very clear to me that a FIFTY was simply not practical OR safe. The BLAST, when directed in the frontal 180 degree arc, blinded and deafened the driver and shotgun guy (and the shooter). And the hot brass and links went all over the place -- including down inside shirts and under the gas and brake pedals. These issues were not absent with a THIRTY, but mitigated. They said the only reasons they WANTED a .50 was to "establish weight of fire" WHILE backing out at max speed; even this shooting was, at optimum, done AFTER the backing and turning, so the blast was away from the front of jeep.

They also told me that they made a point of carrying German weapons, to be used when answering German fire. The idea was to gain an advantage of a few seconds -- again, for the purpose of LEAVING the scene -- while the Germans wondered if they had been shooting at Germans. M.G. 42s and M.P.44s were preferred, but M.P. 40s served the purpose too.

As I said previously...less is more! :thumbsup:

I agree except now that I have seen some of the more elaborate interpretations I'm thinking my next one might be a little more eccentric.

post-54272-1339548727.jpg

post-54272-1339548750.jpg

AAF_Collection

Add to the list headlamp covers and the length of rope carefully wrapped around the front bumper,ok so there are WWII photos showing ropes carried in this way,but it now seems EVERY WWII vehicle you see has one!.

I must admit I don't really like going to MV events somply because of the number of farby vehicles you see,does that make me a snob? maybe but I hope not!.

Matt.