American military vehicles in Normandy, 2012

Sabrejet

stonewaller

I Have been going to Normandy annually for the last 10 Years almost. This year, I was most shocked at the amount of 101/82nd jeeps. Really really got boring after a while. Out of interest, how many jeeps would the airborne of had around the first week of the invasion? What was in the TOE?

I Have been going to Normandy annually for the last 10 Years almost. This year, I was most shocked at the amount of 101/82nd jeeps. Really really got boring after a while. Out of interest, how many jeeps would the airborne of had around the first week of the invasion? What was in the TOE?

I agree. The airborne theme is dominant at the moment and shows no sign of abating anytime soon...everyone in jumpsuits or driving A/B marked vehicles in "Le secteur Americaine"!!

Beautiful Ian! I applaud your patients and devotion with a camera, and adding to the Fourms knowlegdebase. :thumbsup:

Beautiful Ian! I applaud your patients and devotion with a camera, and adding to the Fourms knowlegdebase. :thumbsup:

You are most kind JS....thank you! :thumbsup:

Johan Willaert

Parachute Infantry Companies actually had NO vehicles so any vehicle marked E Company (or any other company) for that matter is wrong!

There were vehicles in the Service and Regtl HQ Companies and of course in the support units, but not in the Infantry...

Example of a Jeep marked to Service Company of the 501...

post-92-1339427438.jpg

AAF_Collection

Thanks for the pics Ian,some nice CCKW's there!. On the subject of the number of Airborne marked vehicles I have to agree it's becoming a virus,even vehicle types NEVER operated by airborne units get marked as 82nd/101st :blink:

Matt.

If I had one of those vehicles, I would find a photo of a real vehicle during the war and restore it to match it. A glider could have gotten a jeep into Normandy, but not a 2-1/2 ton truck.

Thanks for the pics Ian,some nice CCKW's there!. On the subject of the number of Airborne marked vehicles I have to agree it's becoming a virus,even vehicle types NEVER operated by airborne units get marked as 82nd/101st :blink:

A buddy of mine was at an event in Europe two years ago and got a photo of a Sherman tank marked for the 101st AB! :blink: