WW2 US Airplane Cockpit Frame ID Needed

TCSchultz

I had the opportunity to purchase this Aircraft Cockpit Frame this past week from a local collector who advised me that he got it out of a garage that held aircraft parts near a now closed Military Airfield in MA. I have turned this over and checked everywhere but can't find an ID plate or any numbers but it appears to be US and possibly WW2 vintage from the paint and the aluminum material. I'm sure someone here on the Forum not only can ID it but probably has the plane that goes with it so let me know and thanks in advance.

post-17286-1339370826.jpg

post-17286-1339370841.jpg

And finally ....

post-17286-1339371132.jpg

post-17286-1339371144.jpg

If you have an interest in it and want to make a reasonable offer let me know as well... but it is New Hampshire and would have to be a pick up.

By the way the dimensions are @ 37 " in width at the bottom of the frame, by 22 1/2" front to back by 27 1/4" in height top to bottom.

Cobrahistorian

Not sure, but looks like the fixed aft window section that'd be behind the sliding canopy. No idea what airframe.

Johnny Signor

Just a WAG, could it be the rear area of a P-38 Lightning, just behind the pilots cocpit opening ?

Johnny

Johnny Signor

Yeah , I didn't think it was , I did some net searches and looked at the drawings of P-38's and it just isn't the right shape etc for one......................

AAF_Collection

If it's US and WWI era I would expect to see stamps somewhere on a piece that size,they maybe tiny and obscured by paint/crud.

Matt.

Thanks for all of the comments and I'm still hopeful someone will recognize this frame and ID'd as to what plane it came off of. To be honest I'm not even sure if it's US or foreign but it came from a US base and the paint appears to be US WWII OD. Hopefully someone can tell us all what it came from.

Thanks for all of the comments and I'm still hopeful someone will recognize this frame and ID'd as to what plane it came off of. To be honest I'm not even sure if it's US or foreign but it came from a US base and the paint appears to be US WWII OD. Hopefully someone can tell us all what it came from.

I've been watching this thread, hoping something definitive would be identified. So, now for my own WAG...

Judging from the shape being larger on one end than the other, and a good guess that the smaller end fastened to a bulkhead, I'm going to offer the P-40 Warhawk... pretty close anyhow.

Source link:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...arhawk_USAF.JPG

post-3976-1339718171.jpg

The bulkheads look too heavy for a fuselage section. I have a feeling we are looking at an engine cowl frame or something like that.

-Ski

Thanks for the additional replies and a cowling piece might make sense as well. The piece was original green and then overpainted brown camo. I went over all of it again and did manage to find one marking which is a SE over OK in a circle as shown. Not sure if that helps or not. The flat surfaces have a cloth lining riveted to them and are all channelled like they held something thick. Maybe there photos will answer some questions.

post-17286-1339798948.jpg

post-17286-1339798931.jpg

post-17286-1339798917.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in to see if anyone has been able to figure out what aircraft this cockpit frame came from as I'm at a loss to ID it. The only marking I could find was the SE OK stamp which I take to be an inspection stamp from a US maker. Any more guesses would be great.