American helmets in Normandy museums.

Sabrejet

Hey Ian,

I sure did they are well over-priced all right your right there :pinch:

id buy the same items for three times less than going by there prices.

I went into the one off the small courtyard. The first thing I picked up was a used Thompson mag-bag priced at €115! :w00t: I promptly put it down and left!

I went into the one off the small courtyard. The first thing I picked up was a used Thompson mag-bag priced at €115! :w00t: I promptly put it down and left!

I know the one your on about the new one.

Those prices are just 'Insane' i don't know where they come up with these mad prices from ;)

Are you guys talking about Le Holdy?

It's always nice to run into a new shop when you're on a trip. Thought I would leave Normandy with some new great items for the collection but all I bought was some personal stuff. The rest was way too expensive. Everywhere in Normandy. If you want the original stuff you ought to have a big wallet.

I also visited a little shop in Sainte-Mère-Eglise, well hidden, man those prices were exaggerated. So I left Normandy with some items that I found @ a local vide-greniers. :thumbsup:

@ Tomàs: I really had a good time over there. The Norman countryside is sooo beautiful. We had this magnificent view in our gîte, overlooking Le Grand Vey. Awesome! If the tide would turn it was one big swamp. Next time I'll definitely check out the little museum!

It's always nice to run into a new shop when you're on a trip. Thought I would leave Normandy with some new great items for the collection but all I bought was some personal stuff. The rest was way too expensive. Everywhere in Normandy. If you want the original stuff you ought to have a big wallet.

I also visited a little shop in Sainte-Mère-Eglise, well hidden, man those prices were exaggerated. So I left Normandy with some items that I found @ a local vide-greniers. :thumbsup:

@ Tomàs: I really had a good time over there. The Norman countryside is sooo beautiful. We had this magnificent view in our gîte, overlooking Le Grand Vey. Awesome! If the tide would turn it was one big swamp. Next time I'll definitely check out the little museum!

No Ken...there's a new one about 500 metres from Holdy leading from the square on the Utah Beach road.

No Ken...there's a new one about 500 metres from Holdy leading from the square on the Utah Beach road.

Thanks for the information :thumbsup:

Hey Ken,

It sure is fantasic the Country side it is beautiful i love it always out there

i might just be going back out there again in a few months time :w00t:

In relation to that shop in St Marie Du Mont the new one to add to it is on the left hand side as your going out the

Utah Beach Road there is a big sign showing a picture of a helmet with Militaria written on it not far from the Church.

Ken, where is that hidden shop in St Mere Eglise you were talking about only if you dont mind be asking you that is ?

Hope you got some nice pick up while you were out there i did also and was happy to add them to the Collection.

Regards

Tomás.

Hey Ken,

It sure is fantasic the Country side it is beautiful i love it always out there

i might just be going back out there again in a few months time :w00t:

In relation to that shop in St Marie Du Mont the new one to add to it is on the left hand side as your going out the

Utah Beach Road there is a big sign showing a picture of a helmet with Militaria written on it not far from the Church.

Ken, where is that hidden shop in St Mere Eglise you were talking about only if you dont mind be asking you that is ?

Hope you got some nice pick up while you were out there i did also and was happy to add them to the Collection.

Regards

Tomás.

Hi Tomàs, picked up some small items while there :thumbsup: Cool souvenirs of a lovely trip.

About the shop in SME, when you're on the square in front of the church (the side where the paratrooper is displayed), go to the street on the church's right and follow that road, then, when the church is on your left, turn right, you'll probably notice a sign saying 'militaria shop' or something like that... It's easy to find. He's got some nice stuff, but all quite expensive.. All I picked up there was a pack of dust goggles. LOL.

At the end of that road there's a little source which is said to be good for your feet. People bathe there and leave their socks and shoes sometimes. Just saying, in case you have dry feet or anything while you're in the area. ;)

jkash23686

I saw a special on this museum and the reason why they look like real people is they took real active marines, used them as 3d models like in video games, and then had the manaquins laser cut in their likeness's.

I've never seen so many beautiful helmets :crying:

Here is a display down in Branson..notice the Ranger helmet in the secound row

post-75874-1341527743.jpg

post-75874-1341527989.jpg

WW2collector97
I've never seen so many beautiful helmets :crying:

Here is a display down in Branson..notice the Ranger helmet in the secound row

Very nice helmets indeed... Two questions, do you really think everyone is real? And second, is this at the Branson Veterans Memorial musuem? Thanks! :thumbsup:

-Timothy

• 1 year later...

Looking at the helmet which is Number: 21 in your photos. Is this a photo of Charles Blankenship? You can contact me at: [email protected] And is this in the museum in Ste. Mere Eglise?

Thanks

Tim

Yes...I believe I probably took that particular photo in the Airborne Museum in Ste Mere Eglise. As for whether or not the accompanying photograph is of Charles Blankenship I'm afraid I can't say for sure. However, it looks as though the caption might indeed say that? If he was a late relative of yours or someone you are otherwise researching why not email the museum for confirmation?

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the Branson museum, I talked to my uncle the other day and he said they were auctioning everything in the museum last week. Wanna say it was Wednesday they did the auction. Sure wish I could have gone but I probably couldn't have played anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

very good files with beautiful photographs and certain beautiful pieces.

nevertheless not bad of these helmets are not original.

ken

• 6 months later...
27Division18

Great pics. Every year I frequent military history museums in Europe (esp the Imperial War Musuem in London and the Musee l'Armee in paris) and here's a tip to avoid the glare that occurs in items situated behind glass -gently press the lens of your camera right up to the glass pane before you click. It will eliminate any glare or distortion, and quite often give you a much clearer, unobstructed view of the artefact.

• 2 months later...
Normandy1944

While in Normandy for the 70th I visited some museums.

There were some great helmets, so here they are.

Most are from the Greatest Generation II Exhibition at Dead Mens Corner Museum.

Some 506th helmets

post-106958-0-96482800-1402769942.jpg

post-106958-0-45371500-1402769949.jpg

post-106958-0-91306000-1402769959.jpg

Normandy1944

Some 326th engineer helmets

post-106958-0-53817300-1402770071.jpg

post-106958-0-32046800-1402770080.jpg

And glider artillery? (not sure, information on this decal appreciated)

post-106958-0-13143800-1402770076.jpg

manayunkman

Great pictures Normandy !

What is the white wire around that engineer helmet ?

And does the other engineer helmet have a cricket on the chin strap ?

Normandy1944

I don't know what the white wire is.

I'm sorry, I din't photograph every description of the objects.

Yes, that's a cricket on the chin strap.

You can read more about in in Michel De Trez book 'Carentan Linking Omaha Beach - Utah Beach Part I'.

This helmet is described in this book.

I bought it at the exhibition.

Michel was there to sign it, and also Jim Pee Wee Martin. (Ian Gardner too, but he wrote another book which I bought too)

post-106958-0-48557500-1402775499.jpg

Normandy1944

I forgot to ad the helmets from a temporary exhibition in Insigny sur Mer from local collectors.

There was more to see of course, but this are the only pictures I made from helmets

post-106958-0-35837600-1402775677.jpg

post-106958-0-68069800-1402775678.jpg

post-106958-0-63201700-1402775892.jpg

post-106958-0-19500800-1402775894.jpg

Normandy1944

Great pictures Normandy !

What is the white wire around that engineer helmet ?

And does the other engineer helmet have a cricket on the chin strap ?

The helmet with the white cord is also in the book.

It's primacord.

The helmet is from Frank Denison.

He describes also why he wore the primacord around the helmet: 'Around my helmet I had primacord taped. I figured it was aan easy way to carry and if it was to explode, what difference would it hade made if it was around my head or on my body'

The helmet with the white cord is also in the book.

It's primacord.

The helmet is from Frank Denison.

He describes also why he wore the primacord around the helmet: 'Around my helmet I had primacord taped. I figured it was aan easy way to carry and if it was to explode, what difference would it hade made if it was around my head or on my body'

Yes

Prima cord.

Makes sense an engineer or demo man would carry the cord.

• 2 weeks later...
27Division18

I have travelled extensively in Europe and visited most of the WWI and WW2 battlefields, and their associated museums. I agree, many of the items displayed in these museums are legit, indeed, many are donated by the veterans themselves, and the provenance is impeccable. However, many items are obtained from less reliable European sources (local dealers and collectors). I go to may of the militaria and arms fairs in France, Belgium and England every year, as do the proprietors of some of Europe's largest military museums, and see hordes of faux/fake material on some tables. Regrettably, some of this material ends up in glass cases and on display in the aforementioned museums.

• 6 months later...

I have travelled extensively in Europe and visited most of the WWI and WW2 battlefields, and their associated museums. I agree, many of the items displayed in these museums are legit, indeed, many are donated by the veterans themselves, and the provenance is impeccable. However, many items are obtained from less reliable European sources (local dealers and collectors). I go to may of the militaria and arms fairs in France, Belgium and England every year, as do the proprietors of some of Europe's largest military museums, and see hordes of faux/fake material on some tables. Regrettably, some of this material ends up in glass cases and on display in the aforementioned museums.

The task of museums is to inform people about history, art etc, but they also have another task: to preserve the history.

So some museums decide to put a replica of a rare object on display so they could preserve the original object in the best circumstances in their depot.