American helmets in Normandy museums.

Sabrejet

Last but not least !

This One Is a: REAL BEAUTY and well worth waiting for MEDIC From the 506TH P.I.R

This Unit is the main Focus on my Collecting IDentified Items from this Unit of the 506TH.

Seriously What a Stunner of a Helmet it is. :thumbsup:

post-11464-1339790393.jpg

Thats it Guys just got back from Normandy this Tuesday!

was out there since the 30th May had a great time out there 1st Chance i got to my self since back to up load and join in

With the Up Loading of Excellent Photos from Johan and Ian WELL DONE GUYS SOME GREAT POSTS out there !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Ian and Tomas for all the effort on posting these examples from your trip

I agee with JS this thread should be pinned for quick refferance.Both for the good and the questionable helmets.

Thanks Ron...and thanks Tomas for extending the thread. Hope you had a good trip...in spite of the rain (but being an Irishman you'll be well used to it! ;) )

EasyRed1944

I don't believe the medic 506th to be original , never heard actually of red cross marked 506th helmets ( d-day).

To me its a fake. Even the shape of spades don't get me warm.

Johan Willaert

There's no point in starting a good/bad or original/fake discussion in this topic as there will be more opinions than helmets anyway...

It's only to be expected that some of these helmets will be considered fakes and probably rightly so, but than again as Ian has stated in his opening post, this thread is to give you an idea what helmets are to be encountered in the Normandy based museums, be it originals, recreations or right out fakes!...

Sadly we've come to a point where absolutely no-one can be sure of any helmet anymore and experience has taught us that even museums are not to be trusted anymore...

It is what it is...

stonewaller

I'd be very cautious with the illuminous disk on the front? I saw one for sale in dead mans corner museum. aren't they radioactive?

I'd be very cautious with the illuminous disk on the front? I saw one for sale in dead mans corner museum. aren't they radioactive?

Yes. The box even reads 'store away from personnel'. If you ever have one, don't keep it close. RA is not good for your health and can cause serious illnesses.

Are those last helmets from St Marie Du Mont? Some very doubtful helmets in there (like that 506th medic).

Cheers,

Glen.

Hey Glen, Yes you are 100% Correct

Sainte Marie Du Mont thats the one :thumbsup:

Thanks Ian and Tomas for all the effort on posting these examples from your trip

I agee with JS this thread should be pinned for quick refferance.Both for the good and the questionable helmets.

Hey Ron,

Thank You My Good Friend :thumbsup:

Yes i also agree with You and J.S it should be ' pinned after all the Time and Effort that Ian Went to,, to up loading

these Excellent Photos of some Amazing Helmets in there thats why i added to it deserves them few extra ones as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron...and thanks Tomas for extending the thread. Hope you had a good trip...in spite of the rain (but being an Irishman you'll be well used to it! ;) )

Hey Ian thanks my friend :thumbsup: You did an Excellent Job on this Thread ! Good on ya buddie.

Yes i had an Excellent time and met Two Ranger Veteran's that in its self made it for me as it was there last trip to Normandy.

Hope you had a great time out there also, Yes to used of the Rain infact im sure you are to

as us been Neighbours and both living in the North Sea on two Small Islands :)

Hey Glen, Yes you are 100% Correct

Sainte Marie Du Mont thats the one :thumbsup:

That little museum on the corner? 'Musée de la libération'?

Cool. I went inside but saw they sold a lot of junk so I didn't think it would be worth a visit. D'oh!

I went in there last week...saw all the (badly) painted-up liners they were selling lined up on the shelf in the foyer...promptly turned around in disgust and walked away!!

Yes, great posts and thanks! I have been to these museums twice now and I never get tired of looking at them. My students had to drag me away! I also really loved the Museums in Bastogne as well. I will always be honored to have visited the BOB's foxholes in Jack's Woods! Even got a nice piece of fur tree wood right there at the foxholes! Overlooking Foy from the tree line really is moving. I hope to go to the 70th D-Day anniversary.

Cheers,

Mike

Lol. Looks like they're scaring collectors! :huh:

Hi Ken,

I wouldn't go as far as saying that there scaring collectors!

there advertised as Repro Items for sale in the front of the Bulding,

You need to pay in to see the Top Quality Military Items on Display in the Museum Part thats at the 'Back of the Bulding not the front'

to see a Very Impressive Display of Top Items they do actually Have on Display i wouldnt worry to much about the Repro Item.

Hi Ken,

I wouldn't go as far as saying that there scaring collectors!

there advertised as Repro Items for sale in the front of the Bulding,

You need to pay in to see the Top Quality Military Items on Display in the Museum Part thats at the 'Back of the Bulding not the front'

to see a Very Impressive Display of Top Items they do actually Have on Display i wouldnt worry to much about the Repro Item.

Hi Tomàs,

I know. There's always more than meets the eye. That was just a funny comment. I regret not visiting that museum now... :(

They have some great stuff behind the window as well though, not only the fake helmets. The Cushman for instance, real beauty... Didn't study it well though but seemed really nice.

Should have visited I know, but you don't have time to visit everything in Normandy. Next time I will. It's just that if you have to make the decision between that little museum you've never heard about and bigger museums like the one in SME it's those tiny details like the authenticity of their products for sale you'll pay attention to.

A shame really because I was staying @ Sainte-Marie-du-Mont. Absolutely lovely town.

...I agee with JS this thread should be pinned for quick refferance.Both for the good and the questionable helmets.

Is Pinning this thread a good idea????? ANYONE!

Is Pinning this thread a good idea????? ANYONE!

I definitely think it should be pinned! We all should thank Ian for the work he's done, and those who added to it, so we have an outstanding 'virtual tour' for those of us so far away.

Hi Tomàs,

I know. There's always more than meets the eye. That was just a funny comment. I regret not visiting that museum now... :(

They have some great stuff behind the window as well though, not only the fake helmets. The Cushman for instance, real beauty... Didn't study it well though but seemed really nice.

Should have visited I know, but you don't have time to visit everything in Normandy. Next time I will. It's just that if you have to make the decision between that little museum you've never heard about and bigger museums like the one in SME it's those tiny details like the authenticity of their products for sale you'll pay attention to.

A shame really because I was staying @ Sainte-Marie-du-Mont. Absolutely lovely town.

Hey Ken,

You should visit it next time round on your next trip you will be suprised what is inside it a lot of Uniform's been Preserved there in that Museum that were found in Bunker's from the surrounding area's locally also some amazing items also have been Dug Up from the Battlefields in there.

No problem i was just saying thats all as they are a very nice family as its ran by the Husband & Wife and Son

and they are very, very nice people to talk to and very Friendly also i do have a lot of good time for them thats all and Respect!

Sainte Marie Du Mont sure is a lovely little town hope you had a good time over there i know exactly where your coming from it sure is hard to be every where in Normandy at the right time i know only to well what you do mean same here when it comes to the

Much Bigger Museums i also like to also support the Familys of much smaller ran Home Museums also.

I know what you mean like the S.M.E, A.B Museum i also know the Manager in that Museum its a Fantastic Museum also i like it to :thumbsup:

Regards

Tomás.

Tomas...did you visit the two grossly over-priced militaria stores in Ste Marie Du Mont? :o

Hey Ian,

I sure did they are well over-priced all right your right there :pinch:

id buy the same items for three times less than going by there prices.