American helmets in Normandy museums.

Sabrejet

M. De Trez also has a ton of top-notch Fallschirmjager stuff on display, but it's beyond the scope of this forum.

manayunkman

This thread just keeps on getting better and better.

I held that Winters M-42 in my hands back in 1992. Dick and I became friends back then and met at Hardees for lunch at least once a month.

A man to be admired and model oneself after. I had no idea De Trez got that jacket.

M

Can't tell you much about it yet, but he'll soon have more space to display the 'other' division of his collection.... :thumbsup:

That's awesome! Thanks for telling! :thumbsup: 'Kzien eki kerieus ;)

THANKS for taking the time to post all of those great photos, Ian - It was almost like taking a tour.

As far as what's available for display, we have the same problem at the CAF's museum with having too much stuff donated and not enough room in our large museum to show it. There is a big storage room full to the ceiling. Sometimes we try to incorporate some new items to different diorama scenes, but taking apart a whole section and installing a new one is really tough. There's just so much you can fit in - so it can become a bit 'sticky' with donor's feelings and found it was much better to take the donated items (Usually odd Parts, or log books, etc) and thank them profusely.

SKYLINE DRIVE
Can't tell you much about it yet, but he'll soon have more space to display the 'other' division of his collection.... :thumbsup:

He sur has projects all over Europe ;)

Seeing as how we've begun discussing the various D-Day museums, I'd like to make an observation, having visited all of them. It concerns the quality of the mannequins....not neccesarily what's on the mannequins but the mannequins themselves. The vast majority are what I'd call "pretty-boy" store mannequins. It doesn't matter if you smear their faces with camo paint...they still look like "pretty boys"! These days, the best museums have moved away from this and have ultra-realistic mannequins. I think it was Johan who previously posted some pics from the USMC museum and the Battle of the Bulge museum in Belgium, both of which have such ultra-realistic mannequins, which serve to raise the quality of their displays considerably. The D-Day museums would do well to follow their example, IMHO.

$$$$$$$$$$$

Do they have it ????

I realize there are financial implications M, but these are tourist hot-spots with quite a high foot-fall @ around €8 a pop! Museums shouldn't stand still. They need to keep up with the times, IMHO. Contrast the two below.

post-8022-1339575089.jpgpost-8022-1339575118.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Ian (and others), thanks for taking the time to post numerous photos and build this topic. It's a corker! I haven't visited the American sector in Normandy yet (maybe next year...), so this was a great virtual tour. Great job! :thumbsup:

Will

Ian (and others), thanks for taking the time to post numerous photos and build this topic. It's a corker! I haven't visited the American sector in Normandy yet (maybe next year...), so this was a great virtual tour. Great job! :thumbsup:

Will

Thanks Will. See you at "Flying legends" later this month?

Ian

Thanks Will. See you at "Flying legends" later this month?

Ian

A bit off topic - but i'll be there too. looking forward to seeing the P47G Fly :thumbsup:

Rich

A bit off topic - but i'll be there too. looking forward to seeing the P47G Fly :thumbsup:

Rich

We must arrange a hook-up Rich?

Thanks for posting all the helmet eye candy!!!!!..... :w00t: .....mike :thumbsup:

C'etait mon plaisir! :thumbsup:

PIN THIS THREAD!! This is a great reference thread for the future..... :thumbsup:

Where else are there helmets like these that have been all organized and pictured.

ONLY ON THE USMF.

Johan Willaert
I think it was Johan who previously posted some pics from the USMC museum and the Battle of the Bulge museum in Belgium, both of which have such ultra-realistic mannequins, which serve to raise the quality of their displays considerably. The D-Day museums would do well to follow their example, IMHO.

Following Ian's post above, here are links to topics about those museums I started some time ago

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=121812

Sadly the topic I once posted of the USMC Museum seems to have vanished into cyberspace...

Johan

Unbelievably realistic! :w00t: Just compare it with this. That "pretty boy" mannequin is meant to be Ike!! :w00t:

post-8022-1339615587.jpg