American helmets in Normandy museums.

Sabrejet

Or a bob :D you know the British coin.

You mean Her Majesty's former "shilling" which became obsolete in 1971 when we adopted decimal currency?! ;)

Ian or others, what is that thing on the side of Gavin's helmet ? is it a Insignia of some sorts ? it almost looks like a VII Corps Patch type crest.

VII Corps patch type DI.

Great shots of great lids, this thread should be considered for the reference section.

Well done :thumbsup:

Thanks Dwight! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to post all of these Ian! I have seen most of them in person at the museums and you did a great job of photographing them from behind glass! Some spectacular helmets there, although I think you're right about some of the displays, I see a few that appear to possibly be re-creations for the purposes of display. I may be wrong but some seem just too perfect or mint to be originals.

Thanks again, it was a great virtual tour for those of us who couldnt make Normandy this year!

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks Rick...Il était mon plaisir! :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting these - its like a virtual vacation. You just saved me airfare & expenses. There is an airborne helmet on the first page wrapped with cord. Is that WW2 era det cord?

Tom

manayunkman

Great show Ian. Any interesting stories to go with these and what museums do they come from ?

M

Thanks Manay. Well, most had cards or captions but if I itemized them all it would take me a month of Sundays! :o

What a thread!! :thumbsup: How many memory chips did you take along??? :w00t:

Just two. More than enough capacity. 638 shots in total edited down to about 375.

manayunkman
Thanks Manay. Well, most had cards or captions but if I itemized them all it would take me a month of Sundays! :o

How about one or 2 ?

Hmmmm...I'll see what I can do...tomorrow! I didn't arrive home until 0300hrs UK time today so I'm about to hit the proverbial sack. Having fun in Normandy is very tiring you know! :lol:

Another interestingly marked liner. "Monitoring" what? Or, was it worn by a crewman aboard one of the Monitors which bombarded the shore before the landing craft went in? :think:

post-8022-1339363096.jpg

manayunkman
Hmmmm...I'll see what I can do...tomorrow! I didn't arrive home until 0300hrs UK time today so I'm about to hit the proverbial sack. Having fun in Normandy is very tiring you know! :lol:

The older I get the more tired I get.

You mean Her Majesty's former "shilling" which became obsolete in 1971 when we adopted decimal currency?! ;)

Bob' s your Uncle :lol:

VII Corps patch type DI.

Yes, that would be what I'm seeing as well doyler, but did Jumping Jim wear that DI on his Pot on D-Day ? :think: photos ?

Another interestingly marked liner. "Monitoring" what? Or, was it worn by a crewman aboard one of the Monitors which bombarded the shore before the landing craft went in? :think:

post-8022-1339363096.jpg

I actually picked up a nice trench art ashtray made from a shell used in the main guns of one of those monitors uss lcs L 3 #4. It is a 3-in-50 cal mk 3 mod 3 shell casing. Not sure if this one participated in the D Day landings or not. Interesting little boats....

General "Jumpin" Jim Gavin's helmet.

post-8022-1339350817.jpg

Is that Gavin's uniform with the helmet? I quite recently met a Brother at my Scottish Rite who served under Gavin in WWII.

Ian,

Welcome back and thanks for bringing all this to the forum!! Great job!!

Thanks Troy! (Unfortunately, the only named musettes I saw were in museums!) ;)

Thanks for posting these - its like a virtual vacation. You just saved me airfare & expenses. There is an airborne helmet on the first page wrapped with cord. Is that WW2 era det cord?

Tom

I think it probably is Tom..yes.

I'll add some more from July of 2011 :thumbsup:

A lot of the same, from a different angle perhaps.

normandy7077.jpg

normandy7074.jpg

normandy7055.jpg

This one was 82nd airborne. My saliva's probably still over the place in that museum:

normandie5044.jpg

normandie2144.jpg

normandie2094.jpg

normandie2126.jpg

normandie2087.jpg

normandie2086.jpg

Mozley's:

normandie2058.jpg