CPO Sharkey Navy TV show

uplandmod

I Don't remember this one!

I was a wee child in the late 70's and early 80's I remember a lot of shows but not this one!

Leonardo

It lasted two seasons, I'll have to watch an episode on YT.

BTW that is that training ship in San Diego, was that real ship made into a training ship or built from the ground as a training ship?

Leonardo

Jack's Son

I don't recall it at all.......and it looks like it was filmed in San Diego.

If I were only "OLDER", like RD! :lol:

Old Marine

I must be as old as RD, I remember it. Being that you're a youngster then I guess you don't remember Don Rickles in the movie "Run Silent Run Deep" with Burt lancaster and Clark Gable. :lol:

Isn't that the one about the USS Nautilus going under the North Pole?? :rolleyes:

Nope, pretty good WWII submarine flick.

CPO Sharkey became most noted while filmong for the time Johnny Carson interrupted taping of both his and Rickles show over a broken cigarette box. Likely available on YouTube as well.

Bob Hudson

The CPO Sharkey studio was right next to where Johnny Carson taped The Tonight Show:

Jack's Son
The CPO Sharkey studio was right next to where Johnny Carson taped The Tonight Show:

what a fun clip! Thanks FS.

That clip is classic, thanks for posting FS.

Gotta watch Rickles on the Dean Martin roasts he's one funny Mofo.

There is one w/Sammy Davis Jr. On the page that FS linked to.

Just as an aside, both Carson and Rickles served in the Navy during WW 2. Carson was a late war entry, serving as an Ensign aboard USS Pensylvania. He was the Damage Control Officer when she took a Japanese torpedo off Okinawa. Rickles was a Seaman First Class serving in the Pacific on a PT Boat tender.

Another aside, USS Pensylvania had originally been schedualed to be the platform for the Japanese surrender as she was the only Battleship available in the Pacific that has survived Pearl Harbor. That was changed after she was damaged by the torpedo, and USS Missouri was selected as that was the home state of Presedint Truman.

Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Steve Hesson

I remember the show, it was very funny. Different kind of comedy then. Much better than the comedy of today. Great info Steve!!

Chris

That clip is classic, thanks for posting FS.

Gotta watch Rickles on the Dean Martin roasts he's one funny Mofo.

There is one w/Sammy Davis Jr. On the page that FS linked to.

Loved Rickles on the Dean Martin Roasts! "Never got a dinner!" ;)

CPO Sharkey was one of my favorite shows when it aired. Being a bit of a smart alec (term cleaned up for board consumption) myself, I've always loved Rickles' humor. Did anyone else see him on David Letterman this past Friday? It was a rerun from earlier this year. He's ancient but I think he's still hilarious.

Thanks everyone for your input on the show!

I did read that Don Rickles was in the Navy in WWII, I hope some of his experiences made it into the show!

My favorite Rickles moment is when Triumph the Insult Dog finally got to meet Rickles in person.

Classic TV,

Leonardo

• 2 years later...
Garandomatic

Looks like I'll have to figure out what this Amazon thing is.

I love Rickles. Good buddy of mine at work went to Vegas, and he and his dad saw "Mr. Warmth" with seats front and center. Don tore my buddy's dad to pieces since he was seated right in front of the stage. They loved it, what an honor, really, and if that wasn't enough, Don sent out a bottle of something nice to thank them for being good sports.

Looks like I'll have to figure out what this Amazon thing is.

I love Rickles. Good buddy of mine at work went to Vegas, and he and his dad saw "Mr. Warmth" with seats front and center. Don tore my buddy's dad to pieces since he was seated right in front of the stage. They loved it, what an honor, really, and if that wasn't enough, Don sent out a bottle of something nice to thank them for being good sports.

You don't know what Amazon is???? :lol: :D

Anyhoo, I think I might get it, the next question will be how long we wait for season 2, sometimes they release one season of a series thats never been on DVD before, then it just drops of the face of the earth, waiting literally years or never for the next season and or seasons, case in points Barney Miller,

WKRP in Cincinnati, Just Shoot Me, though the first two are finally out, the last one Just Shoot Me, I don't think it's ever going to be released past it's first three seasons that have already been released, probably issues like WKRP had.

Garandomatic

Oh, OK, so regular Amazon. I assumed they were offering some manner of online competition to Netflix since they do that with about everybody.