Red Rose of Normandy

Jim Baker

If you are looking to rent a movie out of the Red Box this weekend and see "Red Rose of Normandy", don't!

Until now I seriously thought Battle of the Bulge with Henry Fonda was THE worst war movie I ever saw. This one is so bad it's almost good for a few laughs. It appears to be made up of mainly re-enactors with their own gear. However, a few of the US vehicles are pretty nice to include an M36. The number of overweight, and old guys is hilarious. The one highlight is the romantic interest with lips so big they cast their own shadow. She reminded me of Joan Collins on steroids. The guy that plays Rommel looks like he's actually bored and put out with the whole thing, and if you look closely, he is wearing his oaks and swords upside down!!

Thank God this was only a $1.29!!

willysmb44

I'm not surprised.

After "Saints and Soldiers" did sort of well, there have been oddles of even lower-budget "the camera never moves on close ups of people droning on" WW2 movies, none of which I can call good.

Third Herd

Back when I was in the Air Force the base theaters would have spaghetti westerns, one week they had a spaghetti war movie. It took place in North Africa with the Germans being cowards, the Americans the bad guys and the Italians the heroes. It looked like it was filmed in Spain with stuff from the Rat Patrol TV show. The scene that sticks in my mind is when the Italian troops attack the American tanks with anti-tank mines. They run up to the tank and swing the mine into the tank. An explosion between the stunt man and the camera makes it look like they blew up the tanks, but the land mine can be seen rolling out from behind the sand flying up. They do make some war movies that are a waste of film.

Just watched the "Sizzle Reel". Loved the sound of the UH-1 flying over mixed in with the battle sounds.

Steve Hesson

Sorry to say I was an extra in this movie... I am a paratrooper in the scenes leading up the castle assault. The "castle" is actually the Tennessee State Prison that closed in the 40's. I agree it ended up being horrible...

• 5 months later...

I tried watching it last night from Netflix. It looks like a recruiting film for a re-enactment group. That's the best thing I can say about it...