2 New WWII USMC Corpsman uniforms in the collection

shrapneldude

shrapneldude

post-1424-1339104399.jpg

First to show off - 5th Marine Amphibious Navy Corpsman's Alpha coat and khaki shirt, both with the crow and SSI, also has his dog tag.

post-1424-1339104406.jpg

shrapneldude

post-1424-1339104624.jpg

Second one, a very interesting patch setup - no stripes, just the red cross strikers, on both sleeves.

post-1424-1339104657.jpg

Unbelievable! A dream find in my book and you found two!

Any research ideas yet?

Well done! Well done!

Leonardo

Really a sensitive subject, but were they a local pick-up, or online? Wonderful finds, I'm with Leonardo--let the research begin!!

shrapneldude

These were picked up locally in a trade deal. Only cost me a handful of items from ETO runner ups.

These were picked up locally in a trade deal. Only cost me a handful of items from ETO runner ups.

Nice.

shrapneldude
Nice finds! What do you think is the purpose behind the strikers on both arms?

Honestly, I haven't a clue.

In my collection, there is 1 other green Alpha coat with corpsman crows on both sleeves, from WWII era, and one or two regular Navy jumpers with single red crosses on the sleeves but whether they signified something specific or the guy just wanted to put a rating on both sides I just don't know. :think:

post-1424-1339119431.jpg

*This is a bad photo, but you can sort of see this guy has a corpsman rating on both sleeves.

post-1424-1339119491.jpg

And 2 like this with just a single red cross and no rank.

I would think even the lowliest pharmacist mate would have some sort of stripe to go under his cross, but maybe it was the custom to just wear their job specialty insignia until they made Petty Officer 3rd Class?

Kurt Barickman

Knee was with Medical Battalion of 5th Amphib. Corps at least by Oct. 1945.

Kurt

Nice finds! What do you think is the purpose behind the strikers on both arms?

Originally, Corpsmen assigned to Marine unite were to wear insignia on both sleeves like Marines. Insignia was provided in pairs with left and right facing eagles. Eventually, it was decided due to supply issues to only wear one and split the sets. You will find left and right facing eagles in Marine colors and both styles worn alone on the left sleeve as with regular Navy uniforms.

Steve Hesson

:thumbsup: WOW Shrap.... NICE additions!!! Looks like you have a pretty amazing collection from the glimpses I can get in the photos.

Well done!

shrapneldude

Steve (Sigs) and Kurt - thank you gentlemen both for the info.

Hessian, thanks for the compliment -- I've sat here drooling over some of your new finds though. I got most beat on quantity...quality though is another story. :D

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=85154&st=0

This link will take you to some old photos of my collection. Need to update it with this past year's new finds eventually.

I would think even the lowliest pharmacist mate would have some sort of stripe to go under his cross, but maybe it was the custom to just wear their job specialty insignia until they made Petty Officer 3rd Class?

Well strictly speaking there were no pharmacist's mates below PO 3rd class, below that ("non-rated") they were hospital apprentices and wore just the specialty mark. On dress blue jumpers the cuff stripes told the difference between HA1c and HA2c. Here is a thread from "Ranks and Rates" a few months ago with more on what I'm talking about.

Your new corpsman uniforms are great to see, thanks for showing them!

Justin B.

Well strictly speaking there were no pharmacist's mates below PO 3rd class, below that ("non-rated") they were hospital apprentices and wore just the specialty mark. On dress blue jumpers the cuff stripes told the difference between HA1c and HA2c. Here is a thread from "Ranks and Rates" a few months ago with more on what I'm talking about.

Your new corpsman uniforms are great to see, thanks for showing them!

Justin B.

Agree, prior to making PO3, it is worn as a Striker Mark like any other Sailor.

Steve Hesson