B-24 control wheel

velocity

I've been reading posts on this site for a while. Thought I'd finally contribute something.

I've been looking for one of these for a while, finally found one about a year ago. I gave it a little light restoration (removal of water stains).

Photoon2010-12-04at0757.jpg

Photoon2010-12-04at0801.jpg

Photoon2010-12-02at074733.jpg

Photoon2010-12-04at07582.jpg

Photoon2010-12-02at07473.jpg

Heck no. I'm going to keep collecting airplane parts one by one until I can build myself a whole damn Liberator in my back yard. Only about 2 million more hard-to-find parts to go.

Bob Hudson
Heck no. I'm going to keep collecting airplane parts one by one until I can build myself a whole damn Liberator in my back yard. Only about 2 million more hard-to-find parts to go.

I live in San Diego County and a few years ago I found a box full of control panel ID plates at a yard sale. The guy said his father had worked at Consolidated Vultee (later Convair) and I always assumed these had been used for B24's and/or PBYs. I sold them without ever knowing:

A sampling: (you can see more at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3654 )

post-214-1174281237.jpg

Nice collection of plates!

I'm sure there are still a few goodies stashed away in someone's attic or garage waiting to be found.

Johnny Signor

That's a great find as usually the hub center with the aircraft company logo is gone , they were very collectable even during the war !

Let me know when you get your "24" finished , I'll drop by for a ride ;)

Johnny

Johnny-

Thanks for the comments. I actually found the hub several years prior to finding the wheel. Hubs are around - they turn up now and then. Control wheels for B-24 or B-17 are like looking for hen's teeth. I think they're out there but people just don't seem to want to let them go.

I'll put your name down on the reservations list.

Gary

manayunkman

I at one time had a blade from a B-24 that crashed in Etters Pa. Sold it at the max show in the 90's.

Very nice wheel. They used to repair B-24's in Middletown, Pa. Some of the workers brought parts home and from time to time I might find a hub from the wheel or the enamel plates.

Wish you well on your plans to reconstruct one. Maybe make one out of wood ??

Matt--

Thanks for sharing that link. That mockup shown by B17man is jaw-dropping incredible. I've seen home-built F-16 simulators that were pretty elaborate, but never anything like that done with a B-17. That's museum quality. He's got pictures of the rear cockpit floor... I wonder if he's gonna just keep going and going...

Gary

AAF_Collection

Hi Gary,

I agree it's a great piece of work,I wish I had the skill to do something like it!. I seem to remember he was talking about going as far back as the radio room.

Have you seen the genuine B-24 cockpit "Fightin Sam" at the Eighth Air Force Museum ,Savannah GA? it spent some time at the IWM Duxford before returning to the US.

Matt.

Hi Gary,

I agree it's a great piece of work,I wish I had the skill to do something like it!. I seem to remember he was talking about going as far back as the radio room.

Have you seen the genuine B-24 cockpit "Fightin Sam" at the Eighth Air Force Museum ,Savannah GA? it spent some time at the IWM Duxford before returning to the US.

Matt.

I've seen pictures of it online. Never stood next to it. Looks like a nice museum.

Someday I'd like to take a ride in one of the few surviving Liberators. Seems like every year we end up with one less.