Yangtze Patrol, USS Luzon, USS Beaver, Finn W. Outler

kanemono

Here is an Interesting group belonging to Finn Walter Outler consisting of a personal log book and two scrapbooks. Outler served in the Asiatic Fleet on the USS Beaver, USS Panay and the USS Luzon during the 1920's and 30"s. The logbook lists when and where he served with the Asiatic fleet. The scrapbooks contain 160 pages of material he collected during that period. Here is a small but interesting part of the collection.

Here is what Outler did after WWII:

Finn W.Outler was the technical superintendent for the Marine Physical Laboratory at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography from 1943 when he was discharged from the Navy, and among other duties was responsible for the conversion of the PCER-855 and PCER-857 into research vessels for the Navy Electronics Laboratory. When the onset of the Marine Life Research program enabled Scripps to acquire three ships, all of which required conversion for research use, Outler was in charge of the conversions.

Here is the Logbook:

post-9487-1339009765.jpg

post-9487-1339009786.jpg

post-9487-1339009809.jpg

next,

post-9487-1339010149.jpg

post-9487-1339010155.jpg

post-9487-1339010217.jpg

I really like the ship portrait of the USS Luzon.

post-9487-1339010286.jpg

post-9487-1339010313.jpg

post-9487-1339010325.jpg

post-9487-1339010491.jpg

post-9487-1339010510.jpg

post-9487-1339010518.jpg

Here is a portrait of the USS Beaver and a portrait of F. W. Outler with, if you look closely, Asian eyes. Interestingly, there is a small photograph of the painting without his name. I guess they could buy the painting and have their name added. There are several complete "IS-WAS" news letters along with some other Navy news letters of the period.

Dick

post-9487-1339010959.jpg

post-9487-1339010970.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Nice and interesting group :thumbsup: "Hello ship, I'm Jake Holman."

Kurt Barickman

Thank you. These came up as three separate lots and I was lucky to keep them together. Here are two photographs. One is listed as Jim Faugen and myself 1929 and the other is the crew of the USS Luzon 1933. I cannot identify Outler in either photograph.

post-9487-1339081341.jpg

post-9487-1339081349.jpg

Nice and interesting group :thumbsup: "Hello ship, I'm Jake Holman."

Kurt Barickman

One of my favorite books!

This is an awesome grouping. I love it. Thanks for sharing!

Richard McKenna the author of "The Sand Pebbles" served on the USS Luzon in 1939-41. McKenna used the stories of his shipmates on the Luzon of the 1926-27 Chinese Revolution in "The Sand Pebbles". There is a book "The Left-Handed Monkey Wrench, Stories and Essays by Richard McKenna" printed by the Naval Institute Press that I think you would enjoy. The book brings together McKenna's works of Naval fiction and non-fiction based around his twenty-two year stint as a machinist's mate in the U.S. Navy, much of that time spent in China.

Dick

post-9487-1339167509.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to buy some more pieces that belonged to Finn Outler. I picked up two books of navy regulations with his name in them and another scrapbook. The scrapbook is filled with period Navy cartoons, articles and about fifty pages of nude women from 1920's "girlie" magazines. Outler was an artist and the scrapbooks are full of drawings, mostly scantly clad girls, this scrapbook has a really nice drawing on the title page of dragons and a semi node girl with the names of the U.S.S. Beaver, U.S.S. Luzon and Yangtze Patrol. One of the cartoons pictured deals with the Kellogg Plan The Kellogg-Briand Pact was signed by Germany, France and the United States on August, 27 1928. The Kellogg-Briand Pact is an international agreement in which signatory states promised not to use war to resolve "disputes or conflicts of whatever nature or of whatever origin they may be, which may arise among them".Partie's failing to abide by this promise "should be denied the benefits furnished by this treaty".

Dick

post-9487-1341425467.jpg

post-9487-1341425546.jpg

I was disappointed that there wasn't anything on China in this scrapbook but there is a lot on the Navy in the 1920's.

post-9487-1341425711.jpg

post-9487-1341425717.jpg

aerialbridge
Thank you. These came up as three separate lots and I was lucky to keep them together. Here are two photographs. One is listed as Jim Faugen and myself 1929 and the other is the crew of the USS Luzon 1933. I cannot identify Outler in either photograph.

Great crew photo of USS Luzon, and interesting that the officers are wearing their fore and afts.

• 9 years later...

Really appreciate seeing this posting! My brother was doing some internet research and ran across it. On the Christmas 1933 dinner menu card and roster of the Luzon's crew, my father is "Marut, F.L. Sea1c". He enlisted at 18 in 1931, residing in Rhode Island at the time and ultimately retired as a W3 26 years later. After his China tour (appx. 2/33 to 12/34), he was stationed aboard the USS Lexington (CV-2) until she was lost in the Battle of the Coral Sea. During the Korean War, he also served aboard the USS Valley Forge (CV-45). My brother has a number of photographs our father had taken while serving in China, his certificate of becoming a "shell-back" (having crossed the equator) and other ephemera of the time.

Salvage Sailor
On 7/4/2012 at 8:11 AM, kanemono said:

I was able to buy some more pieces that belonged to Finn Outler. I picked up two books of navy regulations with his name in them and another scrapbook. The scrapbook is filled with period Navy cartoons, articles and about fifty pages of nude women from 1920's "girlie" magazines. Outler was an artist and the scrapbooks are full of drawings, mostly scantly clad girls, this scrapbook has a really nice drawing on the title page of dragons and a semi node girl with the names of the U.S.S. Beaver, U.S.S. Luzon and Yangtze Patrol. One of the cartoons pictured deals with the Kellogg Plan The Kellogg-Briand Pact was signed by Germany, France and the United States on August, 27 1928. The Kellogg-Briand Pact is an international agreement in which signatory states promised not to use war to resolve "disputes or conflicts of whatever nature or of whatever origin they may be, which may arise among them".Partie's failing to abide by this promise "should be denied the benefits furnished by this treaty".

Dick

post-9487-1341425467.jpg

post-9487-1341425546.jpg

I was disappointed that there wasn't anything on China in this scrapbook but there is a lot on the Navy in the 1920's.

post-9487-1341425711.jpg

post-9487-1341425717.jpg

Terrific collection of Asiatic Fleet memorabilia.  Comic humor was quite common with the China Fleet sailors in the 1920's & 1930's.  I posted a pen & ink comic collection from the other Asiatic Station destroyer tender, USS BLACKHAWK (AD-9) on the forum.

USN China Fleet Comics - Idle time plus pen and ink breeds creativity

Again, great scrapbooks and documents from the LUZON & BEAVER