• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Coat Cold Weather (M65) - your opinion

Hi! I'm Michael from Germany and I would like to get your help regarding the authenticity of a BDU coat.

It is a "Coat, Cold Weather, Field, Woodland Camouflage Pattern No SP0100-96-D-0320". I will post 14 pics of it.

I am really wondering if this is an authentic US Army - Coat and no fake because somehow the nametag and U.S.Army-patch are reminding me of the german Bundeswehr-nametags (because of the colour and font). think.gif

If it is a original coat could you give me information re the approx. year of manufacturing?

I would be very happy for your help so thank you very much in advance!! thumbsup.gif

post-2321-1200684887.jpg

it looks original

I have a M65 field coat with the same maker's tag inside made by GOLDEN MFG. CO. except mine is dated 1984

yours looks like 1996 contract date?

the sewing of the name tape and the patch looks good

the older M65 field coats had all brass zippers, yours has the later plastic zipper

it looks original

I have a M65 field coat with the same maker's tag inside made by GOLDEN MFG. CO. except mine is dated 1984

yours looks like 1996 contract date?

the sewing of the name tape and the patch looks good

the older M65 field coats had all brass zippers, yours has the later plastic zipper

Looks good to me, also. I would have said a 1996 contract jacket would have a green spec label but I guess I'm wrong about that. The nylon zipper is correct and the jacket appears to be a correct US milspec M65.

The very first M65's had aluminum zippers......1966 thru the early '70's.

Greg

Greg Robinson "marine-kabar"

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

Looks good to me, also. I would have said a 1996 contract jacket would have a green spec label but I guess I'm wrong about that. The nylon zipper is correct and the jacket appears to be a correct US milspec M65.

The very first M65's had aluminum zippers......1966 thru the early '70's.

Greg

the spec label does look a light green, correct color for a 1996 contract

I have a late 1974 contract M65 and the zippers are all heavy brass, the earlier Vietnam era had the aluminum zipper

the spec label does look a light green, correct color for a 1996 contract

I have a late 1974 contract M65 and the zippers are all heavy brass, the earlier Vietnam era had the aluminum zipper

OK....my cheap monitor makes it look more white than green. :(

I own a 1966, 1967, and 1971 M65 field jacket and they all have aluminum zippers.

Greg Robinson "marine-kabar"

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

Thank you very much! I always knew that you can help me! I am very happy that it seems to be legit!

One more question re the nametag and the U.S.ARMY-patch:

do you think this is original, too? Were there different fonts around? For me it still looks not like an original font - the letters are very wide... think.gif

And what about a US - flag-patch on the right upper arm? Since when are they worn on the sleeve?

The name tapes look to be original. They appear to have been put on at the same time as the shoulder patch. See how the thread used to sew them seems to match. Remember the name tapes came from different sources. It would not be uncommon to have them embroidered off base at a tailoring/sewing shop. This could be in the U.S. or overseas. One can also order name tapes thought mail order shops. The flag patches were added when the solder was in a war zone or going to one. When I was in a combat zone 1990 I never bothered to put on U.S. flag patches either on my uniforms or on my field jacket and I was an officer. By the time it became common for flag patches to be worn most soldiers were wearing the gortex jackets. Field jackets became less common after 2001 or so.

Bill