Finding the date (if any) on VN era LW rucksack

El Bibliotecario

El Bibliotecario

In the 'for sale' section I've listed a lightweight rucksack, the pattern with the aluminum frame and the cargo bag at the bottom. Someone asked me the date of manufacture, but I'm flummoxed if i can find one. I would think it would be part of the nomenclature and FSN stamped on the flap, but that's not the case. Were these items even marked with the date of manufacture? If so, where?

My 62 dated one is marked with a white tag sewn into the edge of the pocket in the top flap.Most early ones I have handled are merked this way.I have 3-4 others but cant get to them.THese are dated later.

craig_pickrall

I have them with white sewn on tags and also direct ink stamp. Look inside the flap pocket as the most likely place. Even the ones with a lot of wear still retain the ink stamp.

El Bibliotecario

The flap pocket on my item has a large white sewn-in set of instructions. I will look further in that area. Thanks.

craig_pickrall

I'm on my computer where my photos are stored now and i checked the markings on my packs. On the instruction pocket it is marked INSTRUCTIONS INSIDE and then just below that is the contract and date stamp. This is on the outside of the flap and in plain sight.

El Bibliotecario
I'm on my computer where my photos are stored now and i checked the markings on my packs. On the instruction pocket it is marked INSTRUCTIONS INSIDE and then just below that is the contract and date stamp. This is on the outside of the flap and in plain sight.

That was the first place I looked. On my pack, immediatally below "Instructions Inside" is the numeral 14...and nothing else except some distance below, the nomenclature, contract number, and FSN.

The only sewn-in white tag is a cloth white sheet with instructions, separate from the printed paper enclosure. Neither of these items have dates.

This is not something thats important to me...although I gather it may be to potential buyers. Thanks to those who responded and took the time to check their own items.

Someone asked me the date of manufacture, but I'm flummoxed if i can find one.

You won't, unless you have access to the original contractors records or the original manufacturer's packaging.

There is normally NO "manufacture date" listed on (the actual item) almost anything post-Korean War individual equipment-wise (unless you can find it in it's original packaging - as sometimes the month and year of manufacture is listed). One can use the contract code to determine the date of the contract for the item that can be used to narrow down an approximate period of time when the item was possibly manufactured. But, sometimes contracts are let and manufactured over a long course of time. For example I have FY1966 contract items that have manufacture dates of 1968 on their packaging. Or FY1971 contract items with 1976 manufacture dates on the packaging, etc.

Hope this helps.

El Bibliotecario

That is indeed a help, and makes sense. As I searched, I began wondering what practical purpose is served by marking items with their year of manufacture. Apparently the rucksack folks reached this same conclusion.

If you can provide the contract number (the entire line) I may be able to get you a close date to when the ruck was manufactured.

on the inside flap on mine it reads:

RUCKSACK LIGHTWEIGHT

DSA 100-71-C-0128

8465-782-3248

ECT CORPORATION

my guess using the sticky note is 1971 contract

no date on instructions

don't know if this will help or not, but maybe if you can match some of the ink stamp up maybe give you a little ideal.

my guess using the sticky note is 1971 contract

Yes, the 71 code in the contract number is the Fiscal Year the contract was let. FY1971 contract 0128 was let to ECT Corporation of Fayetteville, North Carolina in July of 1970 with a completion date of the contract set for February of 1971. So in theory the FY1971 rucksacks manufactured by ECT Corporation were made sometime between July 1970 and February 1971.

The rucksacks will have a "lot number" printed on them (if still visible). Usually a number between two hyphens, for example - 14 - (as El Bibliotecario indicated was on his). This number is the manufacturer's "lot number". If one had access to the original manufacturer's records they (the manufacturer) were supposed to keep records of the date when the "lot number" was completed (for quality assurance purposes). Of course something manufactured over forty years ago usually means these records are unfortunately LONG gone (plus I think ECT Corp is out of business - or has been absorbed into some other company)!